• 117 posts
  • 83 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by TigerLaw
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ghosts-n-goblins-nes-1986 (resized).png

There are 117 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 5 years ago

What are the 5 best video game experiences that you can remember. Here are mine in no particular order:

1. Super Mario 64: This was my first 3D video game, and I was blown away by what I could do. To top it off, it was just a solidly constructed and inventive game. One that defined how other video games would be made for years to come.

2. The Legend of Zelda (original) / Ocarina of Time / Breath of the Wild: Ok, I'm cheating by naming three games here, but each of these entries in the series profoundly changed the way I thought about video games at the time. The original was amazing. I had never played a game like that, and I played for hours, loving the adventure and the ability to find hidden things. Ocarina of Time revived the series so well, bringing it current in the age of 3D rendering. And, BOTW just advanced the open world experience to new levels, keeping the feel of the original game but expanding the possible ways to play it. I lost countless hours playing each of these games.

3. The Witness: Since getting into pinball, I had left video games behind for quite a while. On a whim and a recommendation, I decided to buy The Witness. This isn't just a game. It is art and philosophy. It is science and math. It is the quest for learning and the experience of gaining knowledge. If you haven't played The Witness yet, do so! It is so hard to explain the feeling you get while playing. It is much more than just a game about solving mazes.

4. Minecraft: I was home sick with a nasty virus for a couple of days so decided to download this new game that was getting a lot of buzz. Hours upon hours later, I couldn't stop playing and was soon crafting amazing worlds and sharing the experience with my kids. What an amazing and inventive game that everyone can play and not feel guilty about.

5. Dungeon: You guys probably called this Zork, but I played the original Dungeon on my father's Vax computer at work. My father and I spent a lot of time trying to figure out the puzzles in this text adventure and traded clues with some of his colleagues. I couldn't believe there was a game that kept track of your progress and interacted with what you said. It opened the door to many things that followed.

#2 5 years ago

I beat my buddy Bob on Sega's Arnold Palmer golf last weekend.

#3 5 years ago

Beating contra on nes with a friend for first time. Playing doom on our old 386mhz computer. Experiencing Mario 64 when it came out(game changer)Experiencing resident evil 4 on GameCube when it came out (game changer) finally playing virtual reality games that actually work as intended. This is the third commoth of virtual reality, and it finally works as intended!
Edit: diablo ii I played it for over 10 years... it was my favorite game ever! Us east lvl 98 barb 4 life

#4 5 years ago

5, but one per system.

NES: Zelda II
SNES: Donkey Kong Country
PC: Diablo II
Playstation: Castlevania--Symphony of the Night
N64: Conker's Bad Fur Day

(could have just as easily picked Mario titles for all of the Nintendo systems).

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from Medisinyl:

5, but one per system.
NES: Zelda II
SNES: Donkey Kong Country
PC: Diablo II
Playstation: Castlevania--Symphony of the Night
N64: Conker's Bad Fur Day
(could have just as easily picked Mario titles for all of the Nintendo systems).

Oh shit son! I played diablo ii for 10 years!!! How could I forget about diablo ii?!?!?!!

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from tilted81:

Oh shit son! I played diablo ii for 10 years!!! How could I forget about diablo ii?!?!?!!

I've gotten sucked back into D2 more than any other video game (even for awhile again last year), so not one I could ignore

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from Medisinyl:

I've gotten sucked back into D2 more than any other video game (even for awhile again last year), so not one I could ignore

I stopped playing it after I started my current job, got married, kids, it’s a mess. Once my accounts lapsed (90 days inactivity) I couldn’t bare it.

#8 5 years ago

I tried diablo 3 when it came out but it’s nowhere near as good! Too linear

#9 5 years ago

I'm an old fart and started playing Atari in seventies as a kid but playing tomb raider on my psone when it first came out blew my mind. Reminded me when I was put into a trance when I saw dragons lair summer of 1983 at arcade. Seminal moments for sure

#10 5 years ago

diablo 3 sucked! i built a new pc for it, was so bummed out.

played wayyy to much of diablo ii, hardcore US WEST. had number 1 sorc for a long time, had like 20 accounts, mostly mule accounts with all my items but probably 20+ characters 90+ level. Would also die to lag outs on baal runs haha. game got too janky with hackers and what not and the community died.

was so cool when you could join a game at anytime and party 8 people thru an entire act, or all the way thru normal/nm/hell etc.

cant say if i spent more time in my life playing that or counter strike haha.

#11 5 years ago

5. Snowboarding Kids (N64 - 4player drinking game)
4. Forsaken (N64 - 4player drinking game)
3. Golden Eye (N64 - 4player drinking game)
------------------------------------------------
Yea, them be the college days of the mid 90's, good times!

2. Asheron's Call
1. World of Warcraft

#12 5 years ago

I remember playing Desert Fox in a bowling alley when Hank Aaron hit home run #715.

#13 5 years ago

1. The perfection that is Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. IMO best game ever made.

2. Halo LAN parties with multiple big screen tv's and a house full of friends.

3.Mortal Kombat 2 in the arcade and many heated battles.

4.Alan Wake a modern masterpiece.

5.Renting a NES from Blockbuster along with Mega Man 1 got it all started.

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from InfiniteLives:

diablo 3 sucked! i built a new pc for it, was so bummed out.
played wayyy to much of diablo ii, hardcore US WEST. had number 1 sorc for a long time, had like 20 accounts, mostly mule accounts with all my items but probably 20+ characters 90+ level. Would also die to lag outs on baal runs haha. game got too janky with hackers and what not and the community died.
was so cool when you could join a game at anytime and party 8 people thru an entire act, or all the way thru normal/nm/hell etc.
cant say if i spent more time in my life playing that or counter strike haha.

I also put together a new pc for it. What a bummer man! I’ve heard it’s gotten much much better with the expansions, but my lvl 60 barb can rot in blizzard server hell cause I ain’t playing!

#15 5 years ago

GTA San Andreas

the rest:
--------------------------
Maniac Mansion
Flashback (SNES)
Fall Out 1
X Com UFO Defense
Resident Evil
Tomb Raider

#16 5 years ago

Dragons Lair / Space Ace - was blown away by the graphics compared to everything else in the arcades.

Super Mario Bros - couldn't believe I was playing this game on a home console I bought for 100 bucks.

Wolfenstein 3d - Good thing I bought that math coprocessor for my 386 PC!

Half Life 2 - still one of the best PC games.

FEAR - found this one a bit late. Very addictive and hard to put down.

#17 5 years ago

entering ms. pacman tournament at six flags to qualify for the tv show that's incredible. only got 2 games in but qualified 3rd in the state.

#18 5 years ago

In some order:

Metroid
Minecraft
Counter Strike
Legend of Zelda
Super Mario Bros

Thanks for the recommendation of The Witness. That one has had my eye on Steam for a while.

*Shadow Complex is probably my favorite game of the past 10 years but looking back it didn't resonate with me like these others.

#19 5 years ago
Quoted from okayestpinballer:

Half Life 2 - still one of the best PC games.

Ah, I forgot about that! That game was a cinematic experience. And the gravity gun is one of the best weapons in video games, especially at the end when it gets upgraded to capture and fling enemies.

#20 5 years ago

Pong at Shakey's pizza. What, there is something else kinda fun to put our quarters into beside pinball?

That and Stunt Cycle. Burned thru endless amounts of quarters on that one.

#21 5 years ago

Sea Battle (Intellivison)
Zelda (the original)
Super Mario 64
Warcraft II
Team Fortress

I was so addicted to Team Fortress at one point that I developed a twitch in one of my eyes that forced me to give up the game.

#22 5 years ago

1) Ms Pac-Man. As a kid, my dad would take me to the local dive bar and set me up with a Pepsi, a bag of chips, and a handful of quarters

2) Tecmo Bowl and Super Bowl. Best times playing Nintendo with friends in early 90's

3) Mortal Kombat. The local arcade held tournaments. And we would travel to other arcades to take on their best

4) Resident Evil. First one on PS1. Many nights spent in that world. Would have to stop and watch TV commercials to get myself back in the real world

5) Test Drive - Eve of Destruction. Original Xbox. Spent so much time playing this with my kids, laughing and trash talking. Still put this one in to this day and play with my son

#23 5 years ago

1.Super Mario bros. All 2.knocking out Mike Tyson for the first time nes. 3. Resident Evil PS1 4. Ridge Racer PS1 finally beating the last car, think it was a white one. 5. Finishing Ghost & Goblins for the first time, what a long night.

#24 5 years ago

Diablo 1&2
Super Metroid, Metroid Prime
GoldenEye
Mario 2
Contra
Golden Axe (Arcade not console)
Unreal, Unreal Tournament

#25 5 years ago
Quoted from Wildbill327:

5. Finishing Ghost & Goblins for the first time, what a long night.

I had a love hate relationship with that game. Wasn’t that the one where when you finished, you found out it was a fake ending and had to do the whole thing all over again?

#26 5 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

I had a love hate relationship with that game. Wasn’t that the one where when you finished, you found out it was a fake ending and had to do the whole thing all over again?

ghosts-n-goblins-nes-1986 (resized).pngghosts-n-goblins-nes-1986 (resized).png
#27 5 years ago

Ultima Underworld

It’s not aged well but at the time it was really something.

#28 5 years ago

-Zelda Original (Nintendo)
-Privateer (PC Dos)
-Dune II (PC)
-Morrowwind (PC)
-Company of Heroes with Opposing Fronts expansion! My favorite RTS of all time. I still play it.

#29 5 years ago

Doom 1 & 2, Quake 1 thru 3.

#30 5 years ago

Double Dragon when it first came out on some really good LSD @ Phineas Phogg's downtown Orlando

#31 5 years ago

**SPOILERS**:

—The second you realize you have to shoot a portal onto the moon to beat GLaDOS in Portal 2.

—When you realize you’ve been controlled by a plasmid for the entirety of Bioshock. “Would you kindly...”

—When you toss your hat onto Bowser in Mario Odyssey.

—the ending to Ocarina of Time

Some minor ones that I loved as a kid:

—Realizing that Mario could move in 3 dimensions in Mario 64.

—Mad Monster Mansion in Banjo-Kazooie

—being able to shoot the lights out in Goldeneye 007.

#32 5 years ago

My fav five

Warcraft 2 / Starcraft 1
Mario kart 64
Goldeneye 64
Counter strike
Fallout

#33 5 years ago

* Tetris on Gameboy
* Super Metroid on SNES
* Half Life on PC
* Half Life 2 on PC - The scary "We don't go to Ravenhome Anymore" Level
* Command & Conquer (original)

#34 5 years ago

hard to pick 5...

Fallout: New Vegas
Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance
Mortal Kombat II
Starcraft
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

#35 5 years ago

1. horizon zero dawn
2. original castlevania
3. call of duty advanced warefare
4. contra original
5. tomb raider anniversary

#36 5 years ago

Kaboom on Atari 2600, pac man arcade, Zelda on nes, civilization on pc, not sure for five... prob wizardry on any system apple II being standout.

#37 5 years ago

1. Kelly Slater Pro Surfing - GAMECUBE
2. Blastcorps - N64
3. COD world at war - PS3
4. Micro Machines - N64
5. Battlefield 4 - PS4

just to name a few as I have many, many memories. ie: Luigi's Mansion- Gamecube and Combat - ATARI 2600

#38 5 years ago

I'm partial to call of duty. Here's a link to one of my recent 'great experiences ' 16 kill streak with a shovel against live competitors with guns in a match of free for all kind of reminds me of the adrenalin rush I get when I play twd pin.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_-2JycM1cQBFCp6cPsVDCw

#39 5 years ago

1. Super Mario Bros - Pure nostalgia vote. My sister and I were so excited to get this Christmas of 1989. Mario 3 and Super Mario World are the superior games though.
2. Mario Odyssey - specifically the New Donk City song. Few things break through to make me smile, and this song did. Probably the most fun I had in gaming in a very long time
3. Portal 2 - Puzzle platformers are my jam
4. Zelda: Ocarina of Time - More nostalgia. I was so excited to get this game, I had trouble sleeping. It was worth the wait - lots of fun.
5. Out of This World (also known as Another World) - absolutely beautiful game. It's one I replay every couple of years, having played through on the Sega Genesis, 3DO, Sega CD, and PC.

#40 5 years ago

Castlevania - Symphony of the Night
Final Fantasy 7
Uncharted
God of War
Contra

#41 5 years ago
Quoted from oldskool1969:

1. Kelly Slater Pro Surfing - GAMECUBE
2. Blastcorps - N64
3. COD world at war - PS3
4. Micro Machines - N64
5. Battlefield 4 - PS4
just to name a few as I have many, many memories. ie: Luigi's Mansion- Gamecube and Combat - ATARI 2600

Your number 3 pick world at war is the best game ever made imo. Hands down a #1.

#42 5 years ago

NES: Bionic Commando (loved it!), Mega Man 2, Strider

SNES: Legend of Zelda a Link to the Past

Nintendo Switch: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Strangely enough I think I had the most fun with the NES games.

#43 5 years ago

Been playing forever and in no order

-Mario 64 or just the jump to 3d in general mind blowing stuff for a kid

-Beating sonic 1 with my sister when I was like 5. Since it's the earliest game memory.

-Getting a game gear and nes in the same month because these where my systems and not my older brothers genesis.

-Online gaming. Diped my toes First on dreamcast but getting xbox live and playing halo 2 and battlefield 2 online was so amazing. Cod4 is thrown in there as well.

-But honestly after having psvr for 8 months that might take the cake. I loved it a lot but been playing firewall with its great online community has been a blast. I haven't touched a flat game on ps4 since I got psvr. I tried to play gow but got bored after 6 or so hours

I still play all my retro games though

My honorable mention is finally beating contra and super c without codes

And zen pinball and pinball arcade for making me want to seek out real pinball machines

Traveling and doing video game shows in the early 2000s with my brother. Back when atari games were what people wanted and I was building my other systems libraries

Sorry about more than 5 but games are my favorite form of art.

#44 5 years ago

Bioshock
Bloodborne
Fallout New Vegas
Legend of Zelda (NES)
Super Mario Oddesy

#45 5 years ago

space invaders on the atari2600 - I think I had played for about 4 hours straight and was forced to quit for dinner. Who needs food ?

Hat trick arcade. Sente. My favorite hockey game to this day.

Red Dead redemption

I made a game with zombies in it. Xbox arcade 360. Awesome twin stick shooter. And it only cost a dollar. The song is great

Timeshock pinball on iOS. The best virtual pinball.

Zelda, Mario 64, Conker, halo, bioshock, etc.... all that stuff is awesome.

#46 5 years ago

Arcade games - Dragons Lair, Gauntlet, and Paperboy

Home console - Adventure, Halo 2

PC - Kings Quest series, Diablo 2, and Flight simulator

#47 5 years ago

So hard to pick just 5 games.....there have been so many games throughout the years that are groundbreaking. Here's a few off the top of my head that were pretty impactful.....

in no particular order....

Doom/Wolfenstein
Resident Evil
Tomb Raider
Grand Theft Auto Series
EverQuest - First MMORPG

#48 5 years ago

Doom. You can shoot a variety enemies from the first person perspective with a variety of cool guns. The best thing I had ever seen easily.

Quake. OMG, like Doom but even cooler. You can even go underwater. And NIN music, are you kidding me.

Duke Nukem 3D. Like Doom and Quake but with an inappropriate protagonist with funny sayings.

Unreal Tournaments (various). Takes everything to an even higher amped-up and cool-looking level.

Half Life. The best video game of all time, now and forever.

#49 5 years ago

When I think of videogames I think of the actual coin operated games. Home videogames are 'consoles'.

1. Galaxians: the first popular color videogame.

2. Pacman

3. Vector games: high resolution compared to the raster games of the time. Asteroids, Battlezone, Star Castle, Tempest, Omega Race, etc.

4. Midway's Tron: how it was linked to the movie release. Lots of movie theaters had it in the lobby when the movie was playing.

5. Dragons Lair: The first step into cartoon type of movie graphics. I personally did not like the game but it was a milestone.

#50 5 years ago

N64 quake -----soundtrack was just creepy great.

PC ------max payne & Aliens vs Predator

There are 117 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/top-5-best-video-game-experiences?hl=jjhlh and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.