5 months ago

Topic Stats

• 85 posts
  • 64 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by Frax
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

ghosts-n-goblins-nes-1986 (resized).png

There are 85 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 4 months ago

If we are listing one experience per game system (and not counting arcades), here is my list.

1) Playing 4 player Warlords and/or two player Combat on the Atari 2600 with my parents and siblings as a family after watching the Sunny and Cher show and/or The Muppet Show.

2) Playing hours of Moon Patrol by myself on the Atari 5200 on my grandpas hand me down black and white TV in my parents guest room.

3) Having Japanese exchange students that brought over a Nintendo Famicom and getting to play it.

4) Working for my dad all summer long to save up to buy a Nintendo Entertainment center. All my friends had one and my dad told me that if I wanted one, I would have to save up and buy it myself. So I worked for him all summer and with a bout two weeks of summer left I had enough to buy it. I then spent the next two weeks playing The Legend of Zelda non stop (that was a very special time).

5) Getting a Nintendo 64 in my early 20s when I had roommates. We would get trashed and play Mario Cart all night. That and 007 GoldenEye on big head mode with paintballs.

#52 4 months ago

No particular order:

1) Phoenix
2) BOLO
3) M.U.L.E.
4) Archon
5) original Castle Wolfenstein on Atari 800

Runners up: Socom US Navy Seals, Call of Duty / Black Op

#53 4 months ago

Halflife 2 and The Last of Us. Incredible games Can't wait for Halflife 3 and Last of Us 2. I loved playing Left for Dead online .

#54 4 months ago

Duke Nukem Zero Hour (Nintendo 64.) So difficult! Long chapters and when you die you do it again. Chills run up your back when the spiders come out, there has to be a high frequency signal in the soundtrack. First time I purchased a guide to master a game. Getting out from the bottom of the Titanic while its sinking, ultimate.I compare all FPS to this game.

Shooting the Flood to the cool music in Halo 1.

#55 4 months ago
Quoted from Coindork:

If we are listing one experience per game system (and not counting arcades), here is my list.
1) Playing 4 player Warlords and/or two player Combat on the Atari 2600 with my parents and siblings as a family after watching the Sunny and Cher show and/or The Muppet Show.
2) Playing hours of Moon Patrol by myself on the Atari 5200 on my grandpas hand me down black and white TV in my parents guest room.
3) Having Japanese exchange students that brought over a Nintendo Famicom and getting to play it.
4) Working for my dad all summer long to save up to buy a Nintendo Entertainment center. All my friends had one and my dad told me that if I wanted one, I would have to save up and buy it myself. So I worked for him all summer and with a bout two weeks of summer left I had enough to buy it. I then spent the next two weeks playing The Legend of Zelda non stop (that was a very special time).
5) Getting a Nintendo 64 in my early 20s when I had roommates. We would get trashed and play Mario Cart all night. That and 007 GoldenEye on big head mode with paintballs.

Moon patrol...holy shit forgot all about that one.

#56 4 months ago

Can't believe nobody has said The Last of Us!

#57 4 months ago
Quoted from jayhawkai:

Can't believe nobody has said The Last of Us!

I just said it 2 posts ago. Best game ever.

#58 4 months ago

Have barely played since I got into pinball, but I used to enjoy them.

In no particular order:

Doom 2
Quake
Kings Quest & Heroes Quest
SNES Mario Kart
Xcom UFO Defense

Honorable mention:

Warcraft 2 & Command & Conquer
Uncharted 2

#59 4 months ago
Quoted from Tommy-dog:

5. Dragons Lair: The first step into cartoon type of movie graphics. I personally did not like the game but it was a milestone.

I still remember the exact time I learned about Dragon's Lair. I was a kid reading about it in a magazine while a babysitter was over. I remember showing her how blown away I was by the appearance of the game and how I never saw anything like it. I owned a Commodore Vic 20 and played Omega Race on it quite often and was used to those types of graphics. I couldn't believe there would be something that was animated.

Then I got to play it in the arcade and basically couldn't do anything. I didn't have a lot of money so was unwilling to sink multiple quarters into the game. I was really really disappointed.

Today, as I'm playing games like Zelda BOTW or even my most recent game Gravity Rush 2, I strangely think about showing them to my younger self and what he would think. I'm playing stuff now with a level of graphics, interaction and control that I could only dream about years ago. It really is amazing.

#60 4 months ago

Ghouls and Ghosts
Duke Nukem 3D
Starcraft 2
Half-life
Firewall Zero Hour PSVR

Honorable Mention
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

#61 4 months ago

Leisure Suit Larry
Wolfenstein
Marble Madness
NHL 93
Duke Nukem 3D

#62 4 months ago

A guy in Cali and me on the east coast were competing on Dragons lair in our arcades for a free machine for Electronic gaming monthly back in ‘83. He beat me by a day ( first to post a finished game). That was fun.

#63 4 months ago

Spending a entire summer playing NHL 93 on the Sega Genesis at a party house day and night. "I got winner"

Defeating Mike Tyson for the first time.

First time having 4 controllers to play Goldeneye 64. Another summer lost.

Strip poker on the Commodore 64. First pixel boobies!

Tony Hawk on N64. Open world skate park with killer music. Great series.

#64 4 months ago

Everquest
Master of Magic
World of Warcraft
Red Dead Redemption
Dungeons of Daggorath

#65 4 months ago

Super mario64 is for two reasons the game is PERFECT and as a kid i remember being memorized by the graphics and quality, today the same look on my kids faces.

Final fantasy7, gta3, marrowind, smash bros.

#66 4 months ago

1. GoldenEye 64 -- countless hours, memories with my friends playing 4 player
2. TMNT Arcade being my "babysitter" every time my mom took me to the mall as a kid
3. Mario Kart 64 -- first and really only game my now wife and I played at length together
4. Legend of Zelda -- so much depth for a game at that time(bonus cartridge was GOLD)
5. MK 2 Arcade

#67 4 months ago
Quoted from OldSchoolBlood:

5.Renting a NES from Blockbuster along with Mega Man 1 got it all started.

So much nostalgia packed in such a short sentence!

#68 4 months ago

Dragons Lair and 720 were my favorite arcade games. Home systems, Resident Evil, Tomb Raider for the PS1 and Zelda 2 for the NES.

#69 4 months ago

1) Xcom Ufo Defence (Ufo: Enemy Unknown in Europe)

2) Leisure Suit Larry

3) Command & Conquer: Red Alert

4) Quake 3

5) Shadow Warrior

#70 4 months ago
Quoted from roffels:

5. Out of This World (also known as Another World) - absolutely beautiful game. It's one I replay every couple of years, having played through on the Sega Genesis, 3DO, Sega CD, and PC.

I completely forgot about "Out of This World" or I would have listed it in my top five for sure. I had the Super NES version. When I first brought the game home, my friend and I spent two days straight playing it. I don't think we even slept at all that night. It was such an amazingly cool game with a unique and haunting atmosphere. It was also really clever, and required both puzzle solving and hand eye coordination. The graphics were amazing at the time. Between the graphics and the music, the game immersed you in its world like no other game had at the time. Definitely one of the best ever!

#71 4 months ago

Sitting with my brother in front of a television playing Contra and Jakal, putting the 30 man code in. Was living in a small apartment at the time and recently married, but still found the money to buy the NES system. Man what memories! Even though we beat the games, we would continue to play them just for the fun of it. I remember buying Contra that day and we went to a Halloween party and I couldn't wait to get home and play that game.

Playing the first Resident Evil on the PS1. My oldest daughter (who was barely out of diapers) sitting on the floor holding her Barney doll watching me play that game, even for hours. She absolutely loved it. Needless to say, she's a HUGE RE fan now. (like her father)

#72 4 months ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

2. Asheron's Call

WHA?

What server did you play on?!

Myst
Quake
Ascendancy
Final Fantasy 6
Asheron's Call (Yeah, I can't even disagree. I played since Beta 0)

#73 4 months ago

In no particular order:

World of Warcraft through Burning Crusade - really only played this for the PvP aspect once Arena came out. Season 1-3 Gladiator baby! (top 1%. wow.)
Super NES Zelda - Best Zelda experience hands down. Sorry Ocarina.
Halo - First Halo, best Halo.
Diablo 2 - ruined everything from High School and beyond.
Killer Queen Arcade - current game that nobody has heard of, save for the 300 people that descended on Portland last weekend. Come for the game, stay for the peeps.

#74 4 months ago

2600 kaboom
Warcraft 3

#75 4 months ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

2600 kaboom
Warcraft 3

My buddy and I were having an intense kaboom competition Sat night.

#76 4 months ago
Quoted from underlord:

A guy in Cali and me on the east coast were competing on Dragons lair in our arcades for a free machine for Electronic gaming monthly back in ‘83. He beat me by a day ( first to post a finished game). That was fun.

Cool story! For those of you that have done well on Dragons Lair, how did you learn? Just an endless supply of quarters . . . . ? I found it nearly impossible to figure out anything.

#77 4 months ago

My best video game experience, was the Sega R-360, the ultimate tribute to arcade before the entire market collapsed. I've seen 2 owned by home users, one by Michael Jackson and another one more recently from someone who restored one, I wonder what happened to all the other ones.

On home systems :
- The legend of Zelda : A major slap in my then young life, the one that opened the doors to a now 30 years of passion
- Ico, Shadow of the Colossus and The Last Guardian : Where gaming met art and poetry. (I know that's 3 games, but they actually are just one)
- Tactics Ogre : My very first tactical RPG, I can't count how many of my school books are covered with plans, strategies and notes I was taking during class in a desperate attempt to beat that game
- Kingdom Hearts : Speaking of licenses, how Square scored the entire Disney roaster to blend them in an obscure gothic adult themed game still remains a mystery in my life, but the Khs are not only masterpieces but also an ongoing story that has been carried for more than 12 years while never losing any kind of consistency, depth and beauty.

#78 4 months ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

Cool story! For those of you that have done well on Dragons Lair, how did you learn? Just an endless supply of quarters . . . . ? I found it nearly impossible to figure out anything.

I play it on my CD-i to learn it. (not kidding..)

Funny..most of the commentary I've seen regarding KH's storyline after the first game has placed it as wildly INconsistent and basically unintelligible at times.. *scratch head* Oh, and did you steal your username from Y's?

#79 4 months ago
Quoted from Frax:

I play it on my CD-i to learn it. (not kidding..)

Daphne runs the original game perfectly, I ended up adding it to my Mamecab, it's definitely a timeless classic

Quoted from Frax:

Funny..most of the commentary I've seen regarding KH's storyline after the first game has placed it as wildly INconsistent and basically unintelligible at times.. *scratch head* Oh, and did you steal your username from Y's?

I did get my username from Y's, back in the day of the TG16. The game itself was quite forgettable, but the soundtrack on CD was (and still is) incredibly awesome.

KH storyline is spreaded on 8 games and 6 different game systems, including a mobile game, later release on the DS that few people played but was actually very relevant to the storyline. There are some weird moments at time, that do require to redo one of the game, to review the timeline, or to get who is who in the story, but the story does come together and KH3 is expected to answer many of the remaining questions.

My best advice to prepare for that release is to get the 1.5, 2.5 and 2.8 HD Remix on the PS4, they don't just feature all the playable games but mostly a more straight explanation of the story. The most important game to learn everything about Kingdom Hearts is actually the one on the 3DS, Nomura himself said it was a must play prior to getting into the Kingdom Hearts 3.

Is it worth your time ? I don't know, what is worth my time ? Hell yeah !

#80 4 months ago
Quoted from gliebig:

My buddy and I were having an intense kaboom competition Sat night.

When you get in the kaboom zone it's pretty sweet. I think past 10k his mouth turns to an 'o' I love that game.

#81 4 months ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

Spent the summer memorizing the game moves. Could do them blindfolded. Dream machine stayed open late for the event and the cameras documented the gameplay. He beat my score by about 300 points. That Bastard!

I have the magazine in my storage somewhere with the picture of him 2 girls and his new DL. Oh well.

#82 4 months ago

Man, this could get lengthy. I actually thought of 6 but they are all so memorable I have to mention them all.

Atari 2600 Pitfall 2
It’s the game that reallly turned me in to a gamer in a lot of ways. It was just as good as a lot of Nintendo games at that same time in the mid 80’s. Tought me that graphics are not everything.

Street Fighter II CE Turbo Hyper
Arcade game that I played more than any other game in my entire life. It got to the point where I would play the game to beat it using every single character, back to back, without losing a single round. I got pretty good at it. Thought me that a fighting game can become a classic.

Super Mario Bros. 3
It was the only game I remember playing all the way through and waiting like two weeks and playing through it again and being completely satisfied both times that I completed it. That game changed the entire dynamic of what makes an epic game, possibly the best original video game of all time.

Sega Saturn : Deathtank
Hidden game in Duke Nuken 3D. One of the most entertaining multiplayer party games ever created and not many people even know about it.

Sega Saturn 10 player Bomberman
The only way to play it is with a simultaneous 10 player tournament. Single best and most memorable gaming experience in which I ever participated.

Arcade: Virtua Racing... only game I remember playing so much that I held just about every single top time on every course every single day it was ever at the arcade. Was a single player upright version... A good friend and I would play it for hours and hours, trying to cut hundreds of seconds off of our best times. It was an epic game for it’s time.

And in case you’re wondering, yes I own all of these games.

#83 4 months ago

Catelvania, Ninga Gaiden, so many Tecmobowl games all night, and have to think of the last two.

Added 139 days ago:

Entire series on Castelvania and Ninga Gaiden my two favorites

#84 4 months ago

CastleWolfenstien entire series
Darksiders 2
Shadowman 1 and 2
GTA 3
Legacy of Kain/ Soul Reaver

Also very found memories of Mario 64, Zelda's etc. so many classic RPG's way too long a list as I haven't even entered into the world of greatness that was Atari and Activision when I was a little fella.

#85 4 months ago
Quoted from adol75:

My best advice to prepare for that release is to get the 1.5, 2.5 and 2.8 HD Remix on the PS4

They just released a collection yesterday which has:

kingdom hearts HD 1.5+2.5 remix - kingdom hearts final Mix, kingdom hearts Re: Chain of memories, kingdom hearts 358/2 days (HD remastered cinematics), kingdom hearts II final Mix, kingdom hearts birth by sleep final Mix, kingdom hearts Re: coded (HD remastered cinematics); as well as kingdom hearts HD 2.8 final chapter prologue - kingdom hearts dream drop distance HD, kingdom hearts 0.2 birth by sleep -a fragmentary passage-, kingdom hearts χ back cover (movie)

amazon.com link »

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 38.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 64.00
$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct
$ 109.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 19.95
$ 239.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 99.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Docquest Pinball Mods
$ 218.00
$ 275.00
$ 94.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 21.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 349.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
$ 18.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 14.95
There are 85 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside