• Newer sterns: ACDC, TAV, TRON 41 votes
    42%

(98 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

LOTR_Game_Minutes.jpg
#1 11 years ago

Fun lil sunday poll.
For arguments sake lets say its LE editions and you can never sell the games so $ is not a factor.
Obviously the top 3 of each is debatable so I used the pinside top 3 of each to decide.
Which do you prefer and which would you choose.

#2 11 years ago

Haven't played Avengers but this is a tough one. Going by what I own, I will have to go old, but that is a close call.

#3 11 years ago

I haven't played avengers yet either (well, I played the home model at CES, clearly doesn't count) but am going with the new sterns. The light shows are better. Those color changing LEDs and the lighted Tron ramps really do make a difference. The old sterns are all awesome as well, particularly LOTRs and SM, but Tron and ac/dc are just at another level.

Also, anyone else notice the gravitation to shorter ball times between the old and the new?

#4 11 years ago

All of the above. If I had to pick one "era" or the other, I'd go new. Much, much better for multi-player games with the shorter ball times.

#5 11 years ago

I never thought of differentiating between sterns, I guess anything 2000 or newer is still new in my head.

#6 11 years ago

That's tough! hard to beat LOTR and SM they have weathered the test of time

#7 11 years ago

I would have to agree with DrJoe after thinking about it.

#8 11 years ago

now if you said

older) IM, SM, Tron
or
older) RBION, FG, POTC
vs
newer) XMEN, TAV, ACDC

I'd pick either of the two older brackets

#9 11 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

I haven't played Avengers yet either (well, I played the home model at CES, clearly doesn't count) but am going with the new sterns. The light shows are better. Those color changing LEDs and the lighted Tron ramps really do make a difference. The old sterns are all awesome as well, particularly LOTRs and SM, but Tron and ac/dc are just at another level.
Also, anyone else notice the gravitation to shorter ball times between the old and the new?

Couldn't have said it better.

#10 11 years ago

NEW!

Had LOTR for eight years and it's too deep for my liking. I don't care for 2 hour pinball games. TSPP is the same thing (not the ball times, but the depth).

I like them fast and furious = New Sterns!

#11 11 years ago

LOL!!! When I saw the title of this post I thought you meant OLD Sterns (Star Gazer, Big Game, Catacomb) VS. New Sterns (SM, AC/DC, Tron)...I really don't consider any of the pins you listed as OLD...

Phoebe

#12 11 years ago

I picked the newer games. I haven't played Avengers yet, but I have Tron & ACDC ranked higher than all of the older Sterns.

Nice poll!

Marcus

#13 11 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

I don't care for 2 hour pinball games

Show us the audits as proof of your claim or this statement will be considered total hog wash as it should.

2 hours, yeah right!

4 players, 14 minutes for example: http://pinball.org/videos/tournament/papa/2012-pinburgh-division-b-final-lord-of-the-rings/

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#14 11 years ago

I'm all for the new. Although I'm 61 and had fun playing EMs, solid states and DMDs "back in the day", I have to admit that the newer games are a cut above.

#15 11 years ago

Where's the "they all suck" option? J/k

#16 11 years ago
Quoted from Propaganda:

Show us the audits as proof of your claim or this statement will be considered total hog wash as it should.
2 hours, yeah right!
4 players, 14 minutes for example: http://pinball.org/videos/tournament/papa/2012-pinburgh-division-b-final-lord-of-the-rings/

How long have you had yours?

My family and friends refused to play with me any more because they could go make a sandwich and take a bathroom break when I played my ball.

I'm not saying my average game lasted 2 hrs but it was certainly a possibility. Sure I had games that lasted 5 minutes.....but if I got the modes stacked (which was more often than not) look out because your looking at a long game. Even 45 minutes is a loooong time to play one game on a pinball machine. I had more games that lasted 45+ than I could possibly count.

In the eight years I had it I probably played it a lot the first 4. After that it was less and less. Toward the end there would be months that would go by without playing a single game..... because I didn't want to commit the time.

I had it on standard settings but with all awards set to an extra ball. Yes I could have set it up much harder but on a game like LOTR you actually need 45 minutes just to get anywhere; and even with the occasional 2hr game I still never saw Valinor.

I can readily admit now that I do not like the super deep games (LOTR, TSPP). LOTR deserves it's top 10 rating and I can see how most love it. It has incredible theme integration, sound, call-outs....etc. A truly epic game in many ways......just not for me. Give me a good Steve Ritchie table and I'm happy.

#17 11 years ago

How long have you had yours?

NIB when it first came out.

LOTR_Game_Minutes.jpgLOTR_Game_Minutes.jpg

#18 11 years ago

Nice poll. O went with old Stern due to variety

#19 11 years ago
Quoted from Butterflygirl24:

I really don't consider any of the pins you listed as OLD...

Phoebe

Exactly.

#20 11 years ago
Quoted from Propaganda:

NIB when it first came out.

How do you do that? That would have been awesome to see my average times.

#21 11 years ago

The new ones because i hate TSPP and i have friends that own all the old ones.

#22 11 years ago

I still think TSPP and LOTR are the two best Stern pins ever produced, so the old ones it will be. BTW, no love for Meteor?

#23 11 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

How do you do that?

I went into portals and got the game audits. Then, I put them in excel, and made a chart. I've heard so many exaggerations about long LOTR game times. I wanted to do my own analysis to find the actual game times on MY machine. As expected, people just spout off long times (like an hour or whatever) and everyone assumes this is correct. Well, it is not in most cases. I say if any disagree with that analysis, then post your audits to prove it. It's not a big secret. But, most people want to HIDE their audits from everyone for their own personal reasons.

#24 11 years ago

The poll is very difficult for me to answer right now. I own LOTR and SM and now have had Avengers/Hulk LE for about a month and love it and definitely enjoy it more than I ever did with SM even though I am very happy with SM as well.
I have played about 20-30 games on TSPP, ACDC Prem, and TRON.

The poll will be easier to answer in 5 years. Right now I consider it a push. The newer games are just that, newer. Lets see how they feel in 3 to 5 years when the newness factor is no longer much of an issue.

#25 11 years ago

I would totally would have pulled my LOTR audits if I had not sold it to a fellow pinsider. Wonder if he still has them on there?

I know I had some super long games on it. Like I said my friends and family would no longer play games with me.

#26 11 years ago

The one you like

#27 11 years ago

Flight 2000, Meteor and Nine Ball versus LOTR, ACDC and SM!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Springfield, MA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

16,500 (Firm)
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
PFX Pinball Mods

$ 79.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Pinball Life

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 218.00
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/top-3-old-stern-vs-top-3-new and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.