Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 70 posts
  • 50 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by robin
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

beef.jpg
    IMG_20150107_224111506.jpg
    Unknown-691.jpeg

This topic is closed.

There are 70 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 9 years ago

Viper
    Split Second
    Iron Maiden

#52 9 years ago

Imagine if we all agreed on what was good and what sucked? Hate to think what prices would be on those agreed upon games.

Like others have said, pinball is very much a personal preference game, that is part of what makes it such a great hobby. One man's trash...

#53 9 years ago

I enjoy playing Tron but don't understand why people like the look. The playfield is very ugly imho. Drawn art would have been much nicer. Met is fun, I agree IM is meh.

#54 9 years ago
    Quoted from dri:

I got fairly skilled at trick-shotting off the T-R-O-N targets when I had it. I believe you need to aim for the O. You'll be surprised but you also need to handle the vicious return from the bumpers. But yes, GEM is pure hate.

Just the opposite for me on GEM--every time I hit it is super satisfying--that ain't no easy shot! Either by accident or by good (some would say terrible...) design Borg really worked an unusual and unusually difficult shot into the game (which it needed). Hitting GEM or threading the ball thru the bumpers are always tricky and fun shots. Love Tron, brilliant game!

#55 9 years ago

Tron: spinning disc!!?!!! Spin this!!!!! Whirlwind had 3, 20 years ago

Avatar:The hype for this was WOZ like.And then the game showed up......

Transformers:same massive disappointment as Avatar

#56 9 years ago
    Quoted from dri:

I got fairly skilled at trick-shotting off the T-R-O-N targets when I had it. I believe you need to aim for the O. You'll be surprised but you also need to handle the vicious return from the bumpers. But yes, GEM is pure hate.

I guess it's different on every machine, but I'm probably about 25%-50% at hitting the gem shot after looping through Quorra...though I generally don't focus on it until the recognizer is down.

#57 9 years ago

AC/DC
    IM
    TF

For "over rated" that's probably how I'd go...although TF doesn't get non stop love or anything.

#58 9 years ago

I think ACDC is probably the most overrated Stern pinball machine. It's rated #7 on the Pinside top 100 despite the following:
    -bad photoshopped art with old geezers plastered all over the playfield, angus face, fire with inserts for eyes in the lower playfield.
    -incomplete code (missing cannon modes)
    -lack of traditional modes
    - a canon that blocks the right inlane.
    -The main playfield only has a couple of flippers with a handful of shots
    - lack of jackpot callouts and player feedback.
    - The theme is not very exciting for pinball. Jam, Album, and Tour Multiball. Can you get any more bland with the names or what you are trying to accomplish. Doesn't resonate quite like Fellowship, Return of the King or Two Towers multiball.

With all that being said it's still one of my favorite Stern machines because of Lyman and his software. The rules around the "Song Jackpot" are probably the most exciting and most risk/reward that we have ever seen and because of this the game is one of my favorite Stern machines. I think because the software is so great a lot of us can overlook the rest of the game which is pretty mediocre. Take Lyman's code out of the game and you basically have a sequel to Rolling Stones or Elvis.

#59 9 years ago

IJ4 is both the most overrated and Underrated pin out there. Nothing polarized pinside like that game. Among pinsiders, they mainly crucified this game citing repetitiveness, shallow rule set and always comparing it to the Williams version.However this game defines what Gary Stern said at the Chicago expo in that you want a game that appeals to casual gamers "easy to learn, difficult to master". Almost any newbie can easily get an 8 ball multiball with its terrific light show etc. Maybe this game does suck to some or maybe it was simply ahead of its time as Gary Stern envisioned and appeals to a broader audience.

#60 9 years ago
    Quoted from WesleyCowan:

Tron, ST, and IM
    Under rated IMHO is RBION and possibly WPT.

As we all know, any pinball machine is worth playing, and I wouldn't kick any of them out of bed!

That said, I couldn't agree more with the above post.

I put TRON at the top of that overrated list I think because I just can't get past the theme for me and I've only played a pro at Pinballz so there were about 150 other pins I enjoyed playing more at Pinballz.

And WPT, which I bought after playing at Pinballz a lot, is hugely underrated imo. People can't get past theme and artwork on that one but, drop target and an all star cast put that one together.

#61 9 years ago
    Quoted from SuperPinball:

IJ4 is both the most overrated and Underrated pin out there.

Still don't understand how that makes it overrated?

#62 9 years ago

Avatar and Monopoly - both deservedly plummeted in the rankings. I could tell avatar was going to be a stinker as soon as a bunch of HUO versions went to market filled with LED's. You could tell the owner was trying to modify for a higher enjoyment level. Really could have been better. The amp suit shot was super tight and I liked that challenge. They must have had an oversupply of blue stock at Stern because it was overused in that pin.

Monopoly is just awful IMO. I found no redeemable gameplay aspects. Stern would have had a better pin based on "Hungry Hippo".

Both of these games are still overrated.

#63 9 years ago

Iron man is a stinker. I don't get why it is popular. It has the most uninspired rules, dots, everything.

#64 9 years ago

There is very little luck involved, actually. In the 2 years of Tron ownership I have gotten better with that shot. There is also a couple of small adjustments ("U" target and the upper left flipper) which can make the GEM shot much more reliable.

The thing I don't like about GEM at all is the possibility of a SDTM after a clean GEM shot. Now that bites.

Quoted from Push600:I think they pretty much all suck.
    Had a met pro.
    Gone. Happy.

That's funny. I've had a lot of "A" list B/W and they're all gone. The only one I miss is MM. Something about the newer Sterns I just like. That said, I've only been into pins for 2 years so I don't have a nostalgia about the old pins like some do.

Quoted from Shado1w:I can't stand the luck that the gem shot is.

#65 9 years ago

I think the term "Overrated" is overrated. It is getting thrown around here by most people to simply mean they don't like something. For something to be overrated it first has to be "rated" in some way. Fine, there is the top100 for example. Or release hype. Or price. So the overratedness has to be compared to that. How on earth can IM be called overrated when it is rated #29 on the top 100, doesn't cost a lot, and was panned on release. It is only the passage of time (the BEST indicator of whether something is good or not) that has seen its popularity increase. The Trons are only rated 19 and 22. You could say the LE is overrated based on its price differential to the Pro, but it already gets derated on the top100 because of that.

I think "underrated" as a measure is much more viable. It's interesting to see some great titles that get ignored.

#66 9 years ago
    Quoted from TimeBandit:

I think the term "Overrated" is overrated. It is getting thrown around here by most people to simply mean they don't like something.

Thank you. Then again following the premise of a thread topic is not the strong point here.

#67 9 years ago
    Quoted from VolunteerPin:

There is very little luck involved, actually. In the 2 years of Tron ownership I have gotten better with that shot.

+1

#68 9 years ago
    Quoted from TimeBandit:

I think the term "Overrated" is overrated. It is getting thrown around here by most people to simply mean they don't like something. For something to be overrated it first has to be "rated" in some way. Fine, there is the top100 for example. Or release hype. Or price. So the overratedness has to be compared to that. How on earth can IM be called overrated when it is rated #29 on the top 100, doesn't cost a lot, and was panned on release. It is only the passage of time (the BEST indicator of whether something is good or not) that has seen its popularity increase. The Trons are only rated 19 and 22. You could say the LE is overrated based on its price differential to the Pro, but it already gets derated on the top100 because of that.
    I think "underrated" as a measure is much more viable. It's interesting to see some great titles that get ignored.

Don't over think it!!!

Its all subjective......if you liked a game somebody said was overrated would it stop you from playing or owning it? I hope not!!!!

Ive been reading on here for years that TZ is overrated.I still play it and love it!!!!!

#70 9 years ago

The whole way this topic is set up is counter to what Pinside is about. This is a site for pinball FANS, not people who like to bash games that others love with no direct reason.

There are 70 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/top-3-most-over-rated-stern-machines/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.