Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 70 posts
  • 50 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by robin
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

beef.jpg
    IMG_20150107_224111506.jpg
    Unknown-691.jpeg

This topic is closed.

There are 70 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 9 years ago

Just wondering there are others like me who cant figure out why people like these 3 so much.

1. Tron
    2. IM
    3. Metallica

#2 9 years ago

you just listed 3 of the best machines of all time...

#3 9 years ago

I can't stand the luck that the gem shot is.

#4 9 years ago

Different games for Different tastes I guess.
    Personally I can't get into ACDC or MET at all but plenty of folks love them.

#5 9 years ago
    Quoted from Shado1w:

Its the real skill shot. Do it right and you can hit it twice.

Unknown-691.jpegUnknown-691.jpeg

#6 9 years ago
    Quoted from cosmokramer:

LOL like I said I cant figure it out... I had a chance to buy a Tron LE for 5200 NIB when they came out. Was able play it first and everything, I'll pass. Don't get it... IM put probably 100 games on it, still??? I will admit Metallica is ok , but still over hyped IMO

#7 9 years ago

And just so you guys know I love stern machines. I have bought 7 NIB sterns over my years of collecting. I just don't get the love for mostly Tron and IM????

#8 9 years ago

Metle, ac/dc is a great game and I like it, but people claim it's the best of all time and that's crazy.

#9 9 years ago

Tron, ST, and IM

Under rated IMHO is RBION and possibly WPT.

#10 9 years ago
    Quoted from inhomearcades:

Metle, ac/dc is a great game and I like it, but people claim it's the best of all time and that's crazy.

Agree very much... They say the same about IM and tron... Stop the madness

#11 9 years ago

I thoroughly enjoy IM, the best stern imho but not the best pin overall.

#12 9 years ago

IMO Tron and IM are better than MET and is the one that is over rated. But everybody has different tastes. I'm one of the biggest Metallica fans to this day but the pin just gets old and repetitive plus I can play it anytime on location as they are quite plentiful here.

#13 9 years ago

Makes me want to buy another IM, I miss having one.

#14 9 years ago

ACDC and Tron are the biggest offenders here to me. Ok games, but not the greatest ever zomg that is thought here.

#15 9 years ago

I guess I just don't see any toys or innovation on IM. It is just a shooter and that has always bothered me. I guess owning probably 70 machines I really loved the machines that are mechanical wonders. Like FH rudy is amazing. TZ with the clock, gumball machine, Powerball, Magnetic Flippers, MM exploding castle, WH2O Ramp mania. I know I sound like a B/W snob, and I kind of am.... But LOTR has awesome code and is always a challenge for valinor, SM flow with great rules, TSPP very challenging to collect the characters in the car, reverse flippers, alien invasion best upper playfield to date for stern...

#16 9 years ago

ST. Just another spiderman...

#18 9 years ago

Everybody
    Machines
    To
    Different
    Degrees.

Can people get this through their heads? Ok so something doesn't have toys so someone who likes toys doesn't like it. All this "I don't get get it. I don't see it.". You know who that sounds like? That antagonist guy in Big. Someone does get it. A lot of people get it.

#19 9 years ago
    Quoted from srmonte:

I guess I just don't see any toys or innovation on IM. It is just a shooter and that has always bothered me. I guess owning probably 70 machines I really loved the machines that are mechanical wonders. Like FH rudy is amazing.

I've never got into fun house, I think road show is more interesting. IM is straight forward fun, accessible to new and tough for skilled players, that is the magic of it. I personally think Tron is overrated but I'm in the minority there.

#20 9 years ago

I'd just be happy to have the spare cash to buy a NIB in the first place FFS !!!

#21 9 years ago

IM best pin ever for me and I bought 15 NIB or so

#22 9 years ago

Beef. It's what's for dinner.
    beef.jpgbeef.jpg

#23 9 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

beef.jpg 36 KB

A couple of fine looking graduates from bovine university there.

#24 9 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

beef.jpg 36 KB

Love the candle-hat. "king of beef"

#25 9 years ago
    Quoted from TimeBandit:

Everybody
    Machines
    To
    Different
    Degrees.
    Can people get this through their heads? Ok so something doesn't have toys so someone who likes toys doesn't like it. All this "I don't get get it. I don't see it.". You know who that sounds like? That antagonist guy in Big. Someone does get it. A lot of people get it.

This.
    But since I'm on Pinside a lot I also notice heavy local differences. Some are easily explainable like with RBION as the theme is just not well known in some parts of the word.
    Others like TRON are kind of strange. A used Tron Pro is usually cheaper (max. equally priced) than a LotR in Europe, at least in Germany - even though the theme is well known and loved over here. Daft Punk being a French band is also a sound very common to us in Europe. It should be a winner on many levels. Still the Pin does not get to much love over here.

#26 9 years ago

I know, people have been known to call me that.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/community/pinsiders/robin/ratings

#27 9 years ago

Subjectively, of course....

LOTR. Can't stand the theme.
    RBION. If this thing had never come out on the TPA, it wouldn't be near as popular.
    AC/DC. I was on the hook to get a NIB one, and I'm pretty much glad I got off the hook.

#28 9 years ago
    Quoted from TimeBandit:

Everybody
    Machines
    To
    Different
    Degrees.

People can get really odd and defensive about these things. It's really quite ok for different people to like different things.

I've had people get a little nuts on me when I was playing on location, because I didn't enjoy playing [favorite title]. It's ok to not share an opinion, it's not a reflection on you or anything else, only the individual's taste.

#30 9 years ago

TRON is perhaps the best eye/ear candy ever made on a pinball. I'll own one someday for this reason - not because it's the best playing game.

#31 9 years ago

never played tron or im but i love my metallica. i love the music and the game play is challenging

#32 9 years ago

Critics here are harsh. Not much is overrated. I think we have a lot of "flover of the month" games and that's to be expected on a discussion forum. I'm not a big fan of TRON or IM, but I have owned both.

#33 9 years ago

Tron for sure ACDC is way overrated very boring, and all the comic book ones suck too!

#34 9 years ago

I think Iron man is terrible. I thought it was boring. Just my 2 cents. Then again I haven't played every stern machine.

IMG_20150107_224111506.jpgIMG_20150107_224111506.jpg
    #35 9 years ago

While I am surprised to see Metallica listed as overrated, I think Stern has a lot of sleeper games that get ignored because they are commonly written off as bad games.

WPT is starting to get the love it deserves for good reason

NBA is a very fun, fast game that never gets old to me.

Avatar is perceived as a bad game because it is harder than a sonofab and there is only one ramp, but I just love the challenge of starting all modes in one ball. Better than IM I think.

Wheel of Fortune has such a fun design. If the ruleset was complete and ppl could just accept the kinda lame theme, that game really is unique, fun, and one of the hardest machines of the 2000s

However, there are some real dull Stern games like IJ4 (so terribly redundant), Harley, and Rolling Stones (the dancing Mick infuriates me every damn time)

#36 9 years ago
    Quoted from srmonte:

Just wondering there are others like me who cant figure out why people like these 3 so much.
    1. Tron
    2. IM
    3. Metallica

1. IM - Shallow, stripped down, repetitive. Not my kind of pin. You can see the whole game in 5 minutes.

2. STLE - All show and not enough go. If you like bright lights and asteroids that do nothing...this is your game.

3. Tron - Hurts me to say this cause the game is good, but it should have been great. Overrated for what it is currently, but the theme sells it.

#37 9 years ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

RBION. If this thing had never come out on the TPA, it wouldn't be near as popular.

It boosted it's popularity, that's for sure...didn't make it overrated in my opinion though. Just gave a great pin the attention it deserves.

I'd love to see more newer Sterns on TPA. They only seem to release pins i either already know well enough or ones i don't care for.

#38 9 years ago
    Quoted from someoneelse:

It boosted it's popularity, that's for sure...didn't make it overrated in my opinion though. Just gave a great pin the attention it deserves.

I couldn't agree with this more. It was on the way up before that and it only helped give attention to a great game that many people ignored because of the theme.

#39 9 years ago

TOM
    TOTAN
    SS

Oh, over rated sterns? Is there such a thing? With all the glassy eyed b/w love it is hard to tell.

#40 9 years ago
    Quoted from BigBangBack:

Wheel of Fortune has such a fun design. If the ruleset was complete and ppl could just accept the kinda lame theme, that game really is unique, fun, and one of the hardest machines of the 2000s

What is incomplete about the rules besides no wizard mode?

#41 9 years ago
    Quoted from cosmokramer:

maybe close to what you say , but more like three games in the top 13 of all time

#42 9 years ago

The thing about IM is that unless you get good at it, it's a very boring game. Trying to stack on it with out starting another mode makes the game. Once you set everything up in order the game is non stop action. If you don't get to that point the game is boring for most. I like that challenge as well as getting dod in one ball and beating Jericho is awesome.

#43 9 years ago
    Quoted from dung:

TOM
    TOTAN
    SS
    Oh, over rated sterns? Is there such a thing? With all the glassy eyed b/w love it is hard to tell.

Well it is a thread related to over rated sterns so I guess that would be why there is an absence of any b/w titles.

#44 9 years ago
    Quoted from ryanwanger:

What is incomplete about the rules besides no wizard mode?

- I believe the bonus wheel modes were supposed to have more depth. A Stern programmer mentioned he wanted to implement lose / win conditions for each mode; if you won then a multiplier was added to all scores in the next round

#45 9 years ago

The underrated ones are the ones that I'm trying to sell.

The overrated ones are the ones that I'm trying to buy.

#48 9 years ago
    Quoted from Shado1w:

I got fairly skilled at trick-shotting off the T-R-O-N targets when I had it. I believe you need to aim for the O. You'll be surprised but you also need to handle the vicious return from the bumpers. But yes, GEM is pure hate.

#49 9 years ago
    Quoted from Damonator:

TRON is perhaps the best eye/ear candy ever made on a pinball. I'll own one someday for this reason - not because it's the best playing game.

Amen!

#50 9 years ago

I think they pretty much all suck.
    Had a met pro.
    Gone. Happy.

There are 70 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/top-3-most-over-rated-stern-machines and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.