Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Boatcat
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 6 years ago

So I’ve started rating games. My question here is what are people generally doing in the sound section for EMs? It seems really silly to me to rate this area for an EM since we’re essentially talking about chimes here, and frankly I kinda thought that it probably didn’t count at all for an EM, but I was fiddling around with it and apparently it does. If I’ve missed something on it, feel free to enlighten me, was just curious if I’d missed something, and if not, wanted to see if there was a consensus on what to do?

#2 6 years ago

Williams has a thud-clunk sound, early Gottlieb a loud ringing bell, later great sounding chimes. There is a difference.
    (I still prefer Williams)

#3 6 years ago
    Quoted from phil-lee:

Williams has a thud-clunk sound, early Gottlieb a loud ringing bell, later great sounding chimes. There is a difference.
    (I still prefer Williams)

& later Chicago coins used a doorbell --- really.

4 weeks later
    #4 6 years ago

What was the first year Gottlieb used chimes? I prefer them over bells

#5 6 years ago

I haven't submitted any ratings, but I do agree there is a difference in their sounds with the different bells and chimes. IMO, the mid-to-late 70s Bally chimes are the absolute best -- beautiful clean tones that complement each other, and are at just the right volume. (example: Sky Kings, Power Play, Mata Hari, Eight Ball, Evel Knievel, etc.)

#6 6 years ago

On Sing Along depending on have many colored numbers a player has made, the game has a certain distinct melody when a player lands the ball in the holes and the game starts jumping holes and counting points.

I like the way King of Diamonds sounds to me when I am playing it. Spin a Card and Flip a Card sounds different with all the spin relays clicking etc.

Don't rush when you get to the sound rating section and put in some time to listen to your EM's closely. You will be surprised to learn how each one has its own unique way of sounding off, especially if a player gets a real good game and makes special and starts popping like crazy. The knocker has always been one of my best sounds to hear on an EM.

#7 6 years ago

I always rate bells higher than chimes.

#8 6 years ago

I left the sound category blank on the EM games I rated, but I think as long as you are consistent it's not going to matter.

#9 6 years ago

Interesting opinions here. If I were looking at it holistically, I would say that to me, sound is way more important on a solid state or DMD game as opposed to an EM, and perhaps that’s where some of my issue is. I’d like to be able to adjust my ratings weighting accordingly to match the era of game and I just don’t think you can do that right now. It’s one size weighting fits all unless I’m missing something?

#10 6 years ago

Williams and Bally bells are pretty good. Bally chimes are pretty good, Williams chimes are pretty much teh suck.

Gottlieb bells and chimes are both very good.

#11 6 years ago

Sing Along, by far, is the best sounding machine in my collection. Prefer bells over chimes.

#12 6 years ago
    Quoted from mrbanjo:

What was the first year Gottlieb used chimes? I prefer them over bells

The first year Gtb. used chimes was '70. The last Gtb. Game I remember playing with bells was Mibs, and the first I remember having chimes was mini cycle, but I see chronologically there are 2 games in between them, (Road Race, Skipper), which I never played.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/top-100-ratings-question-em and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.