Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Mfsrc791
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

You should really use some sort of minimum number of votes or weighting system that applies to ratings. I mean seriously you have Alien at Rank 23 with 25 votes and Dialed In at 13 with 89 votes. These new games will always have hype and people will falsely drive the ratings up without some compensation method in place.

My $.02

#2 6 years ago
Quoted from Walleyefisher:

You should really use some sort of minimum number of votes or weighting system that applies to ratings. I mean seriously you have Alien at Rank 23 with 25 votes and Dialed In at 13 with 89 votes. These new games will always have hype and people will falsely drive the ratings up without some compensation method in place.
My $.02

That's how its been for the past 7 years I've been on this site. They did a good deed with getting rid of the separate categories for pro vs. Premium/ LE models...the amount of Sterns in the top 100 was crazy!

#3 6 years ago

My $.02

There is a minimum number. That number is 15 ratings.

If you want more information on the Top 100, you can review the FAQ at https://pinside.com/pinball/help/the-pinside-top-100-faq

The Top 100 is for entertainment purposes only. Don't take it too seriously.

Marcus

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from Xerico:

There is a minimum number. That number is 15 ratings.
If you want more information on the Top 100, you can review the FAQ at https://pinside.com/pinball/help/the-pinside-top-100-faq
The Top 100 is for entertainment purposes only. Don't take it too seriously.
Marcus

15 is way too low, should be like 300+ or it should have a % adjustment. e.g.

1-50 votes (number)*.85
50-100 votes (number)*.90
100-200 votes (number)*.95
200-300 votes (number)*.975
300+ votes (number)

Simple and easy to implement. This would keep newly released games from pushing established and well liked machines down in ranking.

#5 6 years ago

I hope they fix it soon because I make all my pinball purchases based solely on the pinside ratings.

#6 6 years ago

15 is way too low, should be like 300+ or it should have a % adjustment.

I see what you mean but it seems that this system would not be fair to lower production number pins that are good. Not sure what the best way to do it is.

#7 6 years ago

Simple and easy to implement. This would keep newly released games from pushing established and well liked machines down in ranking.

Some games don't even have a production run of 300.

#8 6 years ago

So rare games could never make the list? If only 10% of owners with a production run <1000 voted, that would mean under 100 votes. Hmmm.

As stated, it's for fun, we all know latest/greatest /most shiny always wins

I see your point though, I generally just read the reviews and how those posters compare other pins I'm interested in.

#9 6 years ago

I was too wordy, again

You guys beat me to it!

#10 6 years ago

It fixes itself really quickly if a game doesn't deserve to be high in the ratings. Batman 66 is currently #112 with 86 ratings.

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I hope they fix it soon because I make all my pinball purchases based solely on the pinside ratings.

Ya how are the noobs supposed to know what games to buy?

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from Mfsrc791:

Ya how are the noobs supposed to know what games to buy?

Simple. They start a thread and ask which four or five of the top ten pinside games they should buy.

#13 6 years ago

Rankings are fun to look at is all and having them skewed because the new hot game has a bunch of fanbois sucks.

As far as rare games go they probably shouldnt be ranked high anyway since not enough people have played one to balance out the lovers/haters. I don't think any system works for rare games.

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from Nexyss:

It fixes itself really quickly if a game doesn't deserve to be high in the ratings. Batman 66 is currently #112 with 86 ratings.

Still too high

#15 6 years ago

Rankings are fun to look at is all and having them skewed because the new hot game has a bunch of fanbois sucks.
As far as rare games go they probably shouldnt be ranked high anyway since not enough people have played one to balance out the lovers/haters. I don't think any system works for rare games.

It doesn't matter it's a cute gimmick. Plus all the really good games are higher than the top 50. Just don't tell anyone that

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios

$ 8.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Machine - For Sale
Middletown, NY
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Electronics
Skillshot Combo

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Pipe Creek, TX
Lighting - Led
Lermods

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

Flipper Parts
FlipMods

$ 810.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

7,275 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Olanta, PA
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 100.00
Boards
Led Pinball

$ 1,100.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

9,799 (OBO)
Cabinet - Other
Inclusive GameWerks

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/top-100-rating-system-broken?hl=walleyefisher and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.