(Topic ID: 248888)

TOP 100 Pinside ratings need higher numbers to qualify!

By stuckey_t

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 23 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by o-din
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_2019-08-07-11-51-33 (resized).png
    be7179b25831cdf9fb5123a2ff08e396 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider porkcarrot.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#15 4 years ago

Two comments on this:

1. I agree that the Top 100 is very flawed (if you look at it as something that it isn't, which many people do). At the moment Wonka is #3 all time. That's crazy if you think of it as an objective ranking of all the games. But that isn't what this list is. If you just take it for what it actually is, a list in order of the average rating of a game, then it's fine. But you simply can't look any deeper than that at all. It would be cool to have a more objective list based on strict criteria, but the logistics of that could become insane if you really think about it. Who's rankings count? How many do there have to be? How do you get a real consensus? So the lesson is, don't think of it is a Top 100 best games. It is a list of what games have high reviews from the users of this site. That's it.

2. To the point of buying a game without playing it based on the Top 100, I can say I sort of have. Not necessarily where it is on the list, but more for how good the reviews generally are. Over half the games I have owned I have bought either without ever having played one at all (usually because they weren't working and it seemed like I game I'd like once it was working) or that I had only played when I got to the seller's house to buy it. Unless you've been in the hobby for many years or been dedicated at pinball shows to play as many games as possible, there are just going to be times where you have a chance to buy a game that you haven't played. That's where the ratings and reviews have a tremendous value. I don't care that a game is ranked 34 instead of 21 for example, but I do care if a game is ranked 146 vs 46. It won't be the only factor in my decision, but if a game is ranked fairly low, I will temper my enthusiasm and offer price.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider porkcarrot.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/top-100-pinside-ratings-need-higher-numbers-to-qualify?tu=porkcarrot and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.