(Topic ID: 248888)

TOP 100 Pinside ratings need higher numbers to qualify!

By stuckey_t

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 23 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by o-din
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_2019-08-07-11-51-33 (resized).png
    be7179b25831cdf9fb5123a2ff08e396 (resized).jpg
    #1 4 years ago

Pinballs listed for TOP 100 need a much higher number of ratings to qualify for the list. Being able to qualify after only 15 ratings is sketchy. Reply on this thread with your opinions but I think we should push for something around 100+ ratings to start sniffing the list. A game like wonka which few people have even played yet should not get new buyer bias to crack the top 10. Give games that stand the test of time the respect that they deserve not to be pushed around by these untested rookies. Might even make sense that games can't qualify until 6 months after release or something? By the powers that be, let's get pinside to change the parameters of which machines can qualify. Please post your thoughts on this here if you agree and let's get this changed.

#2 4 years ago
    Quoted from stuckey_t:

A game like wonka which few people have even played yet should not get new buyer bias to crack the top 10.

Does it really matter, anyone who would actually purchase a pin without playing it based on the top 100 list deserves to be taken for a long ride.

be7179b25831cdf9fb5123a2ff08e396 (resized).jpgbe7179b25831cdf9fb5123a2ff08e396 (resized).jpg
    #3 4 years ago

I would say it has nothing to do with a potential purchase. Buy what you want or floats your boat. It has everything to do with how people actually think the games play. All of which is very subjective but at the same time people do look at the list to get a feel for which games people appreciate the most. Everyone knows where a Ferrari or a Lamborghini rank in the car world. Something new or clicky like a Tesla shouldn't be up there with those 2. For some reason we Americans like ranking things but if we do this we should at least make an attempt to keep the list legit.

#4 4 years ago
    Quoted from stuckey_t:

I would say it has nothing to do with a potential purchase. Buy what you want or floats your boat. It has everything to do with how people actually think the games play.

Well doesn't that influence potential purchase if you actually care about ratings? Also I think we have all seen for sale ads where folks are asking high prices with direct relation to the list. "MM a classic B/W pinball machine 15K rated #1 on pinside" come on man. Americans and everyone else loves ratings to justify their purchase, if they just had a list of games with peoples comments that would be enough, no reason for a top 100. U know what happens? dickheads giving 1 and 2's to keep their potential next sell high on the list or just to keep it out of the top 20 whatever, critics, ratings all that suck.

#5 4 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

Well doesn't that influence potential purchase if you actually care about ratings? Also I think we have all seen for sale ads where folks are asking high prices with direct relation to the list. "MM a classic B/W pinball machine 15K rated #1 on pinside" come on man. Americans and everyone else loves ratings to justify their purchase, if they just had a list of games with peoples comments that would be enough, no reason for a top 100. U know what happens? dickheads giving 1 and 2's to keep their potential next sell high on the list or just to keep it out of the top 20 whatever, critics, ratings all that suck.

I absolutely get what you are saying. If someone uses the list to sell their machine who is stopping them? At the same then why have the Top 100 list at all?. All I am saying is the criteria to get onto the list in the first place is flawed. We as pinsiders can flag reviews if they don't seem legit so those ones eventually get thrown out. No way should a machine with super low number of ratings be able to bump an established machine with hundreds of ratings. If people don't believe this rating system is flawed then this thread can die a slow death and everyone is happy.

#6 4 years ago

Some of those machines are too new on the market to be able to displace a true classic

The Adams Family number 12?

What the hell are people smoking!!!!!!!

Taf is number 1, period

#7 4 years ago

When the list was first on this site, it was somewhat relevant. You had a lot of new folks that used it for a guideline over 10 years ago. Now, it's changed (AND improved!) since then quite a bit over the years and it is a lot better... But, I do think trying to compare the new JP or Wonka to machines that are 30+ years old is simply silly at this point.

Now, there are 10+ new machines released each YEAR (30 if you are counting all versions Pro,Prem,LE,super limited LE, boutique, etc, blah, blah) that are EXTREMELY likely to settle in the "top 100" no matter what. Given that fact, the "top lists" are becoming even more and more irrelevant at a hurried pace. Just imagine in 10 more years what the TOP will look like. A few WPC games sprinkled in but games CURRENTLY in the 30-40ish range will be nowhere near the top.

You can customize what is displayed in "your personal top list" if you don't like what is displayed. So that is good.

It's always sort of been a joke to me since people just make a game out of creating rediculous reviews that move the games they want to move, up or down. Silly.

#8 4 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

Does it really matter, anyone who would actually purchase a pin without playing it based on the top 100 list deserves to be taken for a long ride.[quoted image]

Where is my long ride? I have bought multiple machines without playing them.

I don't buy NIB machines as I don't keep them long enough to justify the depreciation, but bought a White Water and DE Jurassic Park without ever having played one and love it. I also tried to buy a Whirlwind and a Gettaway without ever having played one. Now, I can generally sell games for what I pay for them but utilize the top 100 to identify games worthy of further investigation. Of the 3 I currently own (ST:TNG, White Water, and Fish Tales) Fish Tales is the only one I could play locally before deciding to make a long drive to buy one.

I look at pinball machines the same way I would look at books. There are more books than I could ever read, so why waste my time with a random book when I can rely on the opinions of others to narrow down the list of what I will look at to what I will likely like.

With that said, I agree with OP. The top 100 is useful the way it is, but could be better if more rankings were required to get on the front page.

#9 4 years ago

Games rate on a personal basis for most. Most people on here have a good idea what the higher ended pins are. The Top 100 is flawed so anyone who uses that list and no other caparison tool should be taken for a ride.

My opinion IM and IJ are 1 and 2, but that may change and probably will.

I think the Top 100 is fun to look at, but other than that it really doesn't mean much to me.

#10 4 years ago

The best solution: delete the list. Why does the world need such a thing? I will entertain reasons.

#11 4 years ago

I think more rankings needed to get in would toss out some of the newer games, but it would also obliterate rare games because not enough people have played them.

One or two people giving low ratings (or high ratings) to a game to help the buy or sell just doesn't move the meter that much. I'm not sure why anyone even brought that up.

Lists are really just opinions. Fortunately, the top 100 is customizable. If you like machines only from Williams...type it in. If you like a particular designer, assign it to your search criteria.

I really like the top 100 list because it gives a glimpse into what players value in pinballs. It goes the extra mile by helping you to customize it to your particular tastes...thereby helping both the entry-level pinballer and tje seasoned vet. It woukd be hard to ask for much more.

If I play devil's advocate, I feel the only realistic way to help improve the top 100 would be to give more customizable options so it could be broken down further. Perhaps adding options to select only certain years (rather than just by decade), selecting those with a minumum number of approved ratings, etc.

#12 4 years ago
    Screenshot_2019-08-07-11-51-33 (resized).pngScreenshot_2019-08-07-11-51-33 (resized).png
    #13 4 years ago

It’s the best Rankings list in existence. More reviews and ratings than the next best, ipbd. No list will ever be to everyone’s liking.

Robin, keep it as it is...and let time settle in where games belong on the list.

#14 4 years ago

You have games like Big Lebowski and Big Bang Bar plugging up the list and the majority of people will never get a chance to play them. How does that help assess their true spot compared to machines with hundreds of ratings?

#15 4 years ago

Two comments on this:

1. I agree that the Top 100 is very flawed (if you look at it as something that it isn't, which many people do). At the moment Wonka is #3 all time. That's crazy if you think of it as an objective ranking of all the games. But that isn't what this list is. If you just take it for what it actually is, a list in order of the average rating of a game, then it's fine. But you simply can't look any deeper than that at all. It would be cool to have a more objective list based on strict criteria, but the logistics of that could become insane if you really think about it. Who's rankings count? How many do there have to be? How do you get a real consensus? So the lesson is, don't think of it is a Top 100 best games. It is a list of what games have high reviews from the users of this site. That's it.

2. To the point of buying a game without playing it based on the Top 100, I can say I sort of have. Not necessarily where it is on the list, but more for how good the reviews generally are. Over half the games I have owned I have bought either without ever having played one at all (usually because they weren't working and it seemed like I game I'd like once it was working) or that I had only played when I got to the seller's house to buy it. Unless you've been in the hobby for many years or been dedicated at pinball shows to play as many games as possible, there are just going to be times where you have a chance to buy a game that you haven't played. That's where the ratings and reviews have a tremendous value. I don't care that a game is ranked 34 instead of 21 for example, but I do care if a game is ranked 146 vs 46. It won't be the only factor in my decision, but if a game is ranked fairly low, I will temper my enthusiasm and offer price.

#16 4 years ago
    Quoted from porkcarrot:

Two comments on this:
    1. I agree that the Top 100 is very flawed (if you look at it as something that it isn't, which many people do). At the moment Wonka is #3 all time. That's crazy if you think of it as an objective ranking of all the games. But that isn't what this list is. If you just take it for what it actually is, a list in order of the average rating of a game, then it's fine. But you simply can't look any deeper than that at all. It would be cool to have a more objective list based on strict criteria, but the logistics of that could become insane if you really think about it. Who's rankings count? How many do there have to be? How do you get a real consensus? So the lesson is, don't think of it is a Top 100 best games. It is a list of what games have high reviews from the users of this site. That's it.
    2. To the point of buying a game without playing it based on the Top 100, I can say I sort of have. Not necessarily where it is on the list, but more for how good the reviews generally are. Over half the games I have owned I have bought either without ever having played one at all (usually because they weren't working and it seemed like I game I'd like once it was working) or that I had only played when I got to the seller's house to buy it. Unless you've been in the hobby for many years or been dedicated at pinball shows to play as many games as possible, there are just going to be times where you have a chance to buy a game that you haven't played. That's where the ratings and reviews have a tremendous value. I don't care that a game is ranked 34 instead of 21 for example, but I do care if a game is ranked 146 vs 46. It won't be the only factor in my decision, but if a game is ranked fairly low, I will temper my enthusiasm and offer price.

All fair points

#17 4 years ago
    Quoted from porkcarrot:

I don't care that a game is ranked 34 instead of 21 for example, but I do care if a game is ranked 146 vs 46.

Just for fun, I looked up your hypothetical numbers.

21 is scared stiff
    34 is funhouse

-Both very good. I prefer funhouse

46 is GOTG
    146 is xenon

-Tough. They are completely different games. I probably like GOTG better overall, but for the price I would never own one. Give me xenon instead.

#18 4 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

Just for fun, I looked up your hypothetical numbers.
    21 is scared stiff
    34 is funhouse
    -Both very good. I prefer funhouse
    46 is GOTG
    146 is xenon
    -Tough. They are completely different games. I probably like GOTG better overall, but for the price I would never own one. Give me xenon instead.

There's always the raffle!

#19 4 years ago
    Quoted from dc2010:

There's always the raffle!

Lol! True!

I have one ticket for the premium raffle (i would have to go for Jurassic Park) and one ticket for the Houdini raffle...so far.

#20 4 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

Lol! True!
    I have one ticket for the premium raffle (i would have to go for Jurassic Park) and one ticket for the Houdini raffle...so far.

Honestly I would too, if I won a second time I'd get GOTG

#21 4 years ago

Well the truth is any ratings or reviews are mere opinions anyway so it is kind of hard to make any accurate rating system.
    I still thinks it's fun to look at, and should be taken more as an entertaining opinion poll, not really a ranking system.

#22 4 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

Tough. They are completely different games. I probably like GOTG better overall, but for the price I would never own one. Give me xenon instead.

Explain Xenon to me. How is this a good game exactly? The artwork and sound is cool but.... shoot left spinner to light lock and start MB, shoot right drops if you want to drain. It's the worst. I mean, Mata Hari is a better game (not saying much there) and it's half the price.

#23 4 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

Does it really matter, anyone who would actually purchase a pin without playing it based on the top 100 list deserves to be taken for a long ride.

Yes. I prefer a straight up vs. thread to make my decisions for me.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/top-100-pinside-ratings-need-higher-numbers-to-qualify and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.