(Topic ID: 245189)

Top 100 List: New Pins Better or Just Getting More Love?

By JustAl

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 25 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by JustAl
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DdumvAKVMAAufuh (resized).jpg
    #1 4 years ago

I haven't tracked the historical "Top 100" list, but was looking today and see a LOT of new machines WAY high. For example, the new Iron Maiden is #8, 2013 Star Trek is #12, and Deadpool is #16. Are these games really superior to Theater of Magic, Circus Voltaire, Star Trek: The Next Generation, etc.?

Maybe with all of the new features coming out the new pins are better than the old ones. Maybe the list is complete, subjective bullspit... I scroll down to the mid-40s to see anything from the early 90s or 1980s. Yes, this hobby means different things to different people and what's fun for one is torture for another. I'll share that I like the older stuff but have played a number of the new machines; Iron Man, Batman 66 and a couple of others are fun but I'm not ready to trade anything in to acquire one. Maybe a WoZ someday for the nostalgia...

Your thoughts?

#2 4 years ago
    Quoted from JustAl:

Are these games really superior to Theater of Magic, Circus Voltaire, Star Trek: The Next Generation, etc.?

Yes, and the top 100 list means nothing, They are better to me so thats what I buy as for the list, who cares?

#3 4 years ago

I think the reason most of the newer games are higher on the list as more people have had a chance to play them as they are in more locations compared to the older games.

#4 4 years ago

Maybe the new pins are in pristine condition and play like new!

#5 4 years ago
    Quoted from Coolpinballdino:

I think the reason most of the newer games are higher on the list as more people have had a chance to play them as they are in more locations compared to the older games.

What, the average age of this site is 40 to 60 we have all played those 80's 90's pins. What this thread will do and I'm all for it thusly is been added to favs is to cause a shitstorm of different opinions that the giver feels hes 100% right. Its gonna get ugly real soon and I'll be here. Oh and I'll start it off with this.........The newer pins like TWD, SW, BK3, JJPOTC (see i threw a JJP game in there) DP etc. are just better games overall than the 90's classics. I like MM, MB AF and so on but they feel dated to me now. Go.

#6 4 years ago

New games are pretty damn good. It's honestly more a testament to how good the 90s games really were that after 20-30 years many are still holding down the top spots.

#7 4 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

What, the average age of this site is 40 to 60 we have all played those 80's 90's pins. What this thread will do and I'm all for it thusly is been added to favs is to cause a shitstorm of different opinions that the giver feels hes 100% right. Its gonna get ugly real soon and I'll be here. Oh and I'll start it off with this.........The newer pins like TWD, SW, BK3, JJPOTC (see i threw a JJP game in there) DP etc. are just better games overall than the 90's classics. I like MM, MB AF and so on but they feel dated to me now. Go.

I just think most new guys that are joining pinside have only played the newer games just go on to the top 100 you will see most newer games have more reviews than the older machines. I agree with some of the new games are better than some of the classic 80s and 90s pins. With that said though there are still many 90s pins I'd take over certain new games.

#8 4 years ago

With that said though there are still many 90s pins I'd take over certain new games.

Exactly that why its a pretty even mix. Like I said before the top 100 means nothing but the top 4 games are 90's pins so I'm not even sure why this is a thread outside of the ugliness that will soon happen. Thats why I'm here.

#9 4 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

Exactly that why its a pretty even mix. Like I said before the top 100 means nothing but the top 4 games are 90's pins so I'm not even sure why this is a thread outside of the ugliness that will soon happen. Thats why I'm here.

Yep I agree with you also waiting for the pinside fights lol.

#10 4 years ago

Yep I agree with you also waiting for the pinside fights lol.

People complain about Pinside fight nights but without them whats the point? Thats what makes this site great. If it was all agreeing and forgiving like a JJP thread then I would lose interest real fast. Ever been on a JJP thread. Its Boring.

DdumvAKVMAAufuh (resized).jpgDdumvAKVMAAufuh (resized).jpg
    #11 4 years ago

Now that made me LOL.

#12 4 years ago

Too many new pin owners overrating (aka pumping) their new $8k purchases. The old pump & dump tricks are alive and well.

#13 4 years ago

Manipulating the ratings is like a sport around here. But calling them bullspit is probably the closest way to rate the ratings. I read them and see ratings that I know are just manipulating ratings. Or actual ratings from people that have NEVER PLAYED THE GAME. In the end, they are all useless. All that will matter is what I think of the game.

Oh, and I’ve never played a pinball machine that should be rated as a 1. Except Judge Dredd, and I’d even rate that hunk of junk a 5, because I’m still playing pinball.

#14 4 years ago

The top 100 list is not to be trusted whatsoever. With that being said, newer games tend to be deeper with more user selectable modes. Lastability tends to be a bit higher once the code matures. Lastly, almost every brand new game enjoys a honeymoon the first month or two. Lots of people will proclaim this new game is the best game ever, and then sell it 6 weeks later.

#15 4 years ago

Still hard to top the 90's Bally/Williams era pins. There are a few modern Stern & JJP machines that are equal IMO. Iron Maiden is certainly not one of them.

#16 4 years ago
    Quoted from Chicoman:

Iron Maiden is certainly not one of them.

Well this statement makes ur opinion worthless kind sir.

#17 4 years ago

I look at the ratings when picking up games that I’ve never played before. Typically higher pinside rating... easier resale if I do not like it. I love all pinball but I do have a fondness for 80s 90s B/W games. It isn’t that they are better or anything. There are a variety of factors. Art, sounds, theme, etc... oh yeah and the number one factor... price

I love playing the new machines too fwiw. They are deep and fun but for my dollar I can buy a couple of system 11s for one stern pro. I’m not very good at pinball so I actually get more enjoyment out of a shallower rule set lol

#18 4 years ago
    Quoted from JustAl:

I haven't tracked the historical "Top 100" list, but was looking today and see a LOT of new machines WAY high. For example, the new Iron Maiden is #8, 2013 Star Trek is #12, and Deadpool is #16. Are these games really superior to Theater of Magic, Circus Voltaire, Star Trek: The Next Generation, etc.?
    Maybe with all of the new features coming out the new pins are better than the old ones. Maybe the list is complete, subjective bullspit... I scroll down to the mid-40s to see anything from the early 90s or 1980s. Yes, this hobby means different things to different people and what's fun for one is torture for another. I'll share that I like the older stuff but have played a number of the new machines; Iron Man, Batman 66 and a couple of others are fun but I'm not ready to trade anything in to acquire one. Maybe a WoZ someday for the nostalgia...
    Your thoughts?

TOM and CV etc may have more toys, built better etc..... but Maiden's gameplay blows them away.

#19 4 years ago

There are some great games in the top 100, obviously. However, a majority of my personal favorites are sitting in the 101 to 200 list.

#20 4 years ago

The top 100 list it completely scientific and accurate. It is the last word and absolute truth regarding the relative fun of pinball machines. It’s unquestionable. There is no use in debating any point that contradicts the list.

#22 4 years ago

It all depends on where they end up on the list in 25+ years. Only time will tell. Because the newest machines always get the highest ratings to start.

New owners always try to inflate their games ratings to get them higher on the list.
    Because of the honeymoon, and fanboy phase.
    But eventually things even out.

#23 4 years ago
    Quoted from erak:

Because of the honeymoon, and fanboy phase.

You think someone who doesn’t like new games or games from a certain new company today and only likes EM’s or 80’s or 90’s BW’s is excluded from being a “fanboy”?! They are just as much fanboys but likely have been in the fanboy club decades longer. Which makes them a long time fanboy.

The cool folks I know and hang out with like games from every era. The super coolest folks I know and hang out with own games from every era. I am kinda cool with what I like because I like games from every era, but not near super cool with what I own.

#24 4 years ago

ghostbusters, one of the most bitched about games is 1 below tron and 2 above iron man... enough said about the validity of the top 100.

#25 4 years ago

Hilarious and thoughtful responses, especially the link to the 100 people that asked / pointed out the list as I did, before I did. Thank you all.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/top-100-list-new-pins-better-or-just-getting-more-love and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.