11 months ago

Topic Stats

• 30 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 months ago by Damien
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider damien.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 11 months ago

Saw this list again the other day:

https://thisweekinpinball.com/your-top-10-wizard-modes/

Got me thinking about what actually makes for a great wizard mode, and I feel like a few of these just don't belong.

For instance, Super Hero on Spiderman. Making a series of shots that don't really tell a story or even make sense just doesn't seem exciting. Valinor is epic to reach, but really it's just victory laps when you get to it.

I think the sequence on MM, where you start BFTK, hit a series of shots, and then you're faced with that final battle to beat Payne, is probably the perfect example of what a wizard mode should be.

DTR is LOTR to me is also worthy of being in the top 10, just based on the intensity it makes you feel, followed by the crazy light and mech show once completed.

LITZ is pretty cool just because of the chaos.

I haven't reached Showdown in DI yet, but I've seen videos and I would definitely replace Armageddon on the list with this one. If JJP puts a nice ending on Showdown, it will definitely solidify it on the top 10.

10 is a big list so let's hear you top 5 votes for wizard and mini-wizards modes that are actually exciting to play, not just reach.

Here's mine (based on ones I've reached or seen):

5) Shadow - Battle
    4) DI - Showdown
    3) TWD - Horde
    2) LOTR - DTR
    1) MM - BFTK

#5 11 months ago

I've watched a bunch of videos on wizard modes, and seems like EOTL on Metallica and Super Hero on Spiderman are sort of the same deal. Just ended lit ramps and shots that just build up points, but don't really have a story to them or even an end.

To me, that just seems really anticlimactic. Especially considering how much time and work it takes to get to some of these.

I agree with the point about the game pausing and setting the stage for some BIG! I think Horde does it perfectly.

Haven't seen what they're doing for the wizards in Iron Maiden, but hopefully they put in something great.

Any other wizards or mini wizards that are worthy?

#9 11 months ago
    Quoted from Eskaybee:

So you actually haven't played super hero on SM? Cause I sure feel like a super hero when I get to it, battling the villains with that music is fantastic. Then hitting the spider sense to finish out the mode; it's fantastic. I love wizard modes that have a goal and aren't just timed based chaos. AC/DC encore, Super Hero, Horde, Danger Room (xmen), HOTK (GOT) are some of my favorites.

I've never owned or had an opportunity to get to Super Hero, buy from videos, it just seemed to be a bunch of random shots, then a load of shots to sandman, then back to the random shots.

Is there something else to it?

#22 10 months ago

Played a SMVE today on location and got to Battle Royale. I'm guessing that is the mini-wizard?

I only had two items missing on the wheel of inserts, so does that mean I may have been close to reaching Super Hero?

Regardless, I had a lot of fun playing it. It's now on my list of games that will eventually take the spot when I sell my AFMR LE.

#27 10 months ago
    Quoted from gliebig:

On my games, I've reached it on MMr and TOM. Probably never see MET or DI's unless I stuff socks in the outlanes and install super long flippers.

Have you reached Armageddon in DI? Not as cool as Showdown, but not too shabby.

#28 10 months ago
    Quoted from ZMeny:

Cheap plug.... sorry

Haha yeah, I had watched your video a while back, and thought you guys were nuts for not including MM (BFTK) on the list. Some good choices though regardless.

But I think Valinor is debatable. Definitely the most desirable wizard mode to reach in pinball, but I don't think it's all that exciting compared to a lot of others. So I guess it should come down to how were rating these modes. If it's about "fun" which was the point of this thread, then I would say it doesn't make the top 10, or at least does not score as well on it. If it's about the journey to get to a wizard mode, then it absolutely deserves it's spot as #1.

Anyhow, keep up the good work with your videos. I usually have your new episodes playing on one of my computer screens, while I pretend to work on the other

#30 10 months ago

It's not the fun way to do it, but try starting modes and timing them out. That's what I did to reach it the first time. Now I play out the modes as I go for Showdown. I've spelled DIALED, but still need those two damn letters haha!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Lighting - Backbox
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 10.95
    $ 125.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 9.95
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 27.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 17.50
    Hardware
    Bright Lights Pinball
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Bright Lights Pinball
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Bright Lights Pinball
    $ 89.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 99.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 63.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 21.95
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 25.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    $ 7,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
    $ 45.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 40.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 45.99
    € 222.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Buthamburg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider damien.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside