20230504_180347 (resized).jpg
20230504_180330 (resized).jpg
20230504_180337 (resized).jpg
20220706_163743 (resized).jpg
IMG_1149 (resized).JPG
DSCN5656 (resized).JPG
20171221_204119 (resized).jpg
20171221_204014 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Pinballprowess.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#10 9 years ago

I've tried to compose a response three times... and deleted it three times.

I guess, I just can't do it... kind of like trying to list your favorite kids.

#15 9 years ago
Quoted from hoov:

I'm open to all suggestions.
Just list all of them and we'll call it a tie - no harm done

If that's the case, hoov... you can always check out the sixties Williams games that I have. They are listed on two different sites, Mr. Pinball and Pinball Owners. All titles were targeted... and then sought after.

In addition to that... 3 Coins, Skill Pool, Highways, Darts, Jungle, Beat the Clock and Skill Ball are all good titles too that I don't have but wouldn't mind owning if it weren't for trying to call my collection complete... and not just buying more and more and more games.

#16 9 years ago

Let it be known though... if I had the money, I 'would' buy more and more and more!

But I'm just 'Willy and the Poor Boys' over here... and am flat out of room.

Matter of fact, if I won some super lotto or was just Mr. Megabucks, I would try to buy Richard Lawnhurst's collection. And outside of the obvious reason, would want to keep it all together... keep it in the states... and build or buy a proper building to house it in as a 'real' pinball museum for generations to come.

#63 9 years ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

Spaceship is also probably the only pin to have an on the playfield special ready to be won,
at the start of the 1st ball, prior to plunging.

Yeah... a really cool feature!

An 'on playfield' special lit before you even plunge the ball... and doable too! You just have to avoid the top rollovers and not hit an advance before you get a chance to flip the ball. I've done it on the beginning of a game but it's not easy and wouldn't bet my life I did it again before I hit an advance and it was gone. And even though all four rockets 'can' line up again during play, that usually doesn't happen too often and even if it does... the likelihood of you hitting it isn't very great. Because by that time, you are too busy keeping your eye on the ball and just trying to keep it alive, so probably wouldn't notice it anyway.

This is a game incidentally, that you really need to have a liberal tilt set... and also have the larger-sized rubber rings on the posts down by the flippers.

And even at that... you had better be an above average player and have good nudging skills.

1 week later
#77 9 years ago
Quoted from hoov:

Moving 8-ball up the list.......
1. King Pin (6 likes)
2. Big Daddy (5 likes)
3. River Boat (5 likes)
4. Heat Wave (5 likes)
5. Teachers Pet (5 likes)
6. Trade Winds (3 likes)
7. Jungle (3 likes)
8. Space Ship (3 likes)
9. 8 Ball (3 likes)
10. 3 Coins (2 likes)
11. 4 Roses (2 likes)
12. Skill Pool (2 likes)
13. Wing Ding (2 likes)
14. Zig Zag (2 likes)

Conspicuously missing from list:

Nags
Moulin Rouge
Big Deal
Soccer
Ten Spot
Highways

IMNSHO

#82 9 years ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

In the main, better rulesets. Multiplayer EMs had no ability to retain the playfield settings from player to player, so the games just reset after every ball.

Absolutely true, hard to beat the single players for this very reason.

But also, it just seems like they had better playfield designs in most cases. You have to remember too, that multi-players had to be designed with the thought... that other players were waiting to get their turn. I'm sure this almost 'had' to be a consideration. Which is why you never see multi-players designed like say, a Trade Winds, King Pin, Big Deal, Moulin Rouge... or any of the great nudger's games, where a good player can keep the ball alive for considerably longer, armed with the right skills.

But even so, every once in a great while... a multi-player designed this way and resets after every ball can be a great game too. 'Shangri-La' comes to mind and 'Oh Boy' as well... but for different reasons.

#85 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Expand it to 1959 and we can include Rocket.

It's funny o-din said this... because I was thinking the same thing myself. Go back just prior to 1960 and you pick up a lot of great Williams titles. Games such as Satellite, Gusher, Spot Pool, Sea Wolf and of course, the wonderful 'Rocket'. But I understand of course... sixties games, are sixties games.

#89 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

From what I understand there were never very many made, and probably very few survivors so not many have seen one in person. But it is wonderful indeed.

And even if you 'do' see them, the artwork is usually tore-up above the flippers.

#96 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Not always.
305585-i.jpg

Hey!

How'd you get a picture of my Rocket playfield??

#102 9 years ago
Quoted from hoov:

Nags moves up another notch - not surprising since we're going back to '59 now! Who doesn't want a Nags?
1. King Pin (6 likes)
2. Big Daddy (5 likes)
3. River Boat (5 likes)
4. Heat Wave (5 likes)
5. Teachers Pet (5 likes)
6. Nags (5 likes)
7. Trade Winds (3 likes)
8. Jungle (3 likes)
9. Space Ship (3 likes)
10. 8 Ball (3 likes)
11. Hot Line (3 likes)

What?!?!

No 4 Roses on the list??

That's communist!

#104 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

McCarthy.jpeg

hahaha

1 week later
#139 9 years ago

It's a pin game, Jim but not as we know it.

11 months later
#156 8 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

I just added Wing Ding and Hot Line to my small collection. Thanks FrankJ. Both are fun but wow is Hot Line maddeningly addictive. I'm loving that game.

Yeah, and get a load o' that redhead on the backglass!

My favorite George Molentin girl.

#158 8 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

Wing Ding definitely has a killer glass.

It does... I have the replay version but luckily it has the same artwork.

2 weeks later
#160 8 years ago

You've put together a pretty impressive collection of sixties Williams there!

I've played all the single players... but only El Toro of your multiplayers.

Nice example by the way.

#171 8 years ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:

I wanna try 3 Coins.

Another great game... and one I don't have.

Try finding one that doesn't have a roached out glass.

#173 8 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

Looks like this one could fit the bill?
pittsburgh.craigslist.org link

Hard to tell from those pictures.

Love to be able to look at that game point blank.

#174 8 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

Looks like this one could fit the bill?
pittsburgh.craigslist.org link

Now, see... 'that' would have been a good title for Shay to do... not Jungle.

Not that Jungle is a bad game... I've just seen more 3 Coins with horrible glasses.

Hopefully, he's sold more than I think.

#182 8 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

I don't know I'm pretty pleased that he did Jungle.
I'd be pleased if he did a bunch of Williams titles. And you may be right. I'm sure 3 Coins owners would be happy to have a reproduction glass available. It just seems to be a fairly scarce title.

Yes... and don't get me wrong, I'm glad to see him do the Williams, I just hope there are enough Jungle owners (like you) that will buy the glass. He's not going to do them... if they don't sell, that's the problem. All the Williams owners that are fortunate enough to own these games... need to 'step up to the plate' and buy these glasses that he and Ron have done (or hopefully, 'will' do in the future) Let's make it happen!!

#184 8 years ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:

Yeah and sometimes it's better *not* to redo the original look anyway...

image_(resized).jpg

Wow... that original paint looked pretty good to me.

Faded, yes... but really intact.

Especially for that 'top of the line' paint, Williams used. : )

#186 8 years ago

Well, maybe it's more the plywood they used on their cabinets.

Paint doesn't seem to do too well in the long run on that.

#191 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I found plywood only on the front panel where the coin door is. The rest is solid. And yes paint didn't stick too well for 50 years.

I've seen too many 'footballs' in the wood to think otherwise.

Didn't know Williams was in the 'sporting goods' business.

Not as funny as EMsInKC's joke... but we can still try!

#193 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I've seen those footballs. I've also seen other makufactures not use one piece for the side. You can tell those by the long split down the side of the cabinet.

That's alright... we still love 'em anyway!

I think you're really gonna like that Big Deal that's coming your way.

#196 8 years ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:

One of the worst original stencils I've found is Paradise. What the heck is this mismatched nonsense? Looks like some kind of Jetsons-era bingo card... yeeeeccch!
I have a Paradise and definitely won't be redoing it like the original... no sir. It's getting Polynesian stencils with lei's. Might go full wood veneer too.

paradise_(resized).jpg

Buddy, can you do me a favor and use latex paint?

#197 8 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

Come on Levi? You have pretty diverse tastes. The only 60s Williams game you like is Blast Off/Apollo?
When I first read your post my reaction was, hell yeah! Then after I thought about it, was wait a minute?

Well, he 'does' use the word Crazy in his screen name.

#201 8 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

Speaking of mismatched. Just 21 has to take the cake. But then it's sort of so quirky it's awesome. It definitely has to be one of the coolest cab paints ever. To re-theme to a couple swing dancing would be borderline criminal.

Just21_(resized).jpg

Wow... maybe they should have called the game... Just doesn't fit?

#208 8 years ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

I'm currently sanding down my Hot Line, and at least it isn't plywood on the sides, but the front is. Sure made a difference. The sides are smooth, the front, not so much. Will take more work and I'm not sure it will ever be as good as the sides.
Neither is as bad as the particle board Gottlieb used for a bit in the 70s though.

Maybe this is something Williams finally stopped later on.

I know my Ten Spot has a football on one of the sides... I could have probably lived without.

#211 8 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

You can live without Ten Spot? That's great, drop it at Odin's. He said he's sending me King Pin already.

Hahahaaaa!

Now, wait a minute... I didn't 'say' I wanted to move it along!

I'll have to try to get Odin over here to play it.

#213 8 years ago

Although, right now it has been shopped out and taken down to make room for others that need the same.

#215 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

It wouldn't have to move far! When you drop it off we can go a dollar a game on all the multiplayars. I've got a couple good Gottliebs and a Bally too.

That's true!

At least it wouldn't have gone far...

And a dollar a game sounds like fun.

#217 8 years ago

Guess I'll have to get my dollar bills ready.

While Odin reprises Paul Newman's role in... 'The Hustler'

hahaha

#221 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

You can get some practice in first. I'm reasonable.

Sounds fair to me!

#222 8 years ago
Quoted from Rat_Tomago:

I am ready for some more "Big Daddy" 1000 point challenge.

Now 'that's' a game I miss... and regret taking down.

But then again... not easy on 'any' of these titles.

#224 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I am finding the 4 Roses 1000 pt on 5 ball to be quite a challenge. Man that game can kick your ass.

I agree.

And don't know that I have 'ever' played a game where it just doesn't seem like you can get any better.

I mean, you can get a 'little' better... but not like other games.

Doesn't look like Kordek missed a trick on this one.

No matter what you try... it has an answer.

#228 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

You can have a better game once in a while, but it seems like you play 10 each time you step up to it. I agree though, Kordek didn't miss a trick on it. But it is amazingly fun even when it kicks your ass.

Amazingly fun and just a huge title... and one I wouldn't even DREAM of ever letting go.

But I 'gotta' tell ya... it about 'half' pisses me off sometimes!

#229 8 years ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:

My 4 Roses is such an ass-kicker I'm going to remove the tilt bob entirely... which is totally fair! Meanest game in the stable.
Also going to swap hotter pop coils and/or convert to DC. They're a little weak by default even after rebuilding with new plungers & yokes.

Nick, I feel your pain... mine are like that too.

And I did the same thing I did on all my other Williams pop bumpers, sooooo WTH?

I tried and tried and tried different things... but they still aren't what I think they should be.

But because they aren't what I think they should be... and mostly because I did them the same way... I started to look for a reason as to why this would be... I think what 'might' be happening here, is the way they are positioned. Because when they fire at each other... they seem to have the strength (and speed) I think they should have, they just don't DO it that often. Would like to hear what you have to say about this.

#231 8 years ago

Odin, how are the pops on your game?

#233 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

La la la lovely! I have no complaints. But then I don't soup up my cars either. I like factory bone stock.

Yeah, I don't either.

But these silly pops on my 4 Roses 'could' be a little livelier.

Or so it 'appears'.

#236 8 years ago
Quoted from Rat_Tomago:

I have yet to play a game at Odin's place with weak anything. They are all lively, bone stock, pitched and balanced correctly and kick your butt like they are supposed to.

Well... hopefully you guys can eke out a replay once in awhile over there. : )

You'd be in hog heaven over here.

Although, I don't like my games to be too easy either.

BOOOOOR - ING!

#255 8 years ago
Quoted from hoov:

Your Lucky Strike sounds like an awesome game to own jodini!

Not to mention the thing looks like a beautiful example.

Bravo!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 12.00
1,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Edmonds, WA
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Pinballprowess.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/top-10-list-of-williams-early-to-mid-60s-em-favorites?tu=Pinballprowess and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.