20230504_180347 (resized).jpg
20230504_180330 (resized).jpg
20230504_180337 (resized).jpg
20220706_163743 (resized).jpg
IMG_1149 (resized).JPG
DSCN5656 (resized).JPG
20171221_204119 (resized).jpg
20171221_204014 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider AlexF.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#24 9 years ago

What are you guys kidding? 60s Williams games suck. I recommend you stay away from them altogether.

But seriously aside from a few that are in the know they often seem to get overlooked by the regular EM crowd. I usually come to their defense. Then immediately afterward start to wonder what I am doing. It's better to keep them under the radar.

#26 9 years ago

Our hunting territories overlap! I was less worried when you were a Gottlieb only guy. Then you got into the AABs and I got a little nervous. Now the 60s Williams Hoov? If you start collecting early arcades I'm going to have to move North.

#28 9 years ago

For something a bit later, I don't think Big Strike/Hot Line have been mentioned yet. I also really enjoyed Kickoff. That was a favorite of mine for a few years.

I know Rob Berk has a collection of all the mod cabinet games. He may have the reverse wedge heads too.
Tom Taylor has all the reverse wedge heads except Zig Zag I think. Zig Zag and Wing Ding were the only game from that series made as a replay and AAB counterpart.

#34 9 years ago

If you started I may as well quit looking altogether.

#45 9 years ago
Quoted from hoov:

I originally said '62- '66 in my original post but I'll add Magic City/Magic Town to my list

Jungle is actually from 1960. If you are going back that far you need to add Nags. If we are expanding the parameters you should add Apollo/Blast Off to the list. 67 may be a better cut off. Shangri-La is 1967 as well.

And how about Skill Ball and Metro from 1961.

#47 9 years ago

Among those that I own or owned I would vote for
Teachers Pet
Blast Off
Kickoff
Jungle

I've only had 11 and those are what I'd be comfortable enough to comment on. I have spent enough time on Hot Line to know it's good. Soccer was fun. Like Pinwiztom stated none of the 60s Williams games I've had or played were duds to me, just some were better than others. There are some I'd love to play and own that I suspect are great and would make the list. Trade Winds, Beat the Clock, Moulin Rouge and 8 Ball are a few of the titles I'm really interested in spending some time on.

#49 9 years ago

I enjoyed Smarty when I played it. I'd own it if the right deal came along.

#53 9 years ago

8 Ball is gone and I think he changed his mind on Beat the Clock.

#56 9 years ago
Quoted from hoov:

Alex,
If any of these games come up for sale locally I'll let you know.
Trade Winds
Beat the Clock
Moulin Rouge
8-ball
Smarty

I appreciate it Hoov. Add Teacher's Pet to that list. I had one and foolishly let it go. I think I could get it back but it would probably take a game to trade.

#59 9 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

It was a nice Teacher's Pet too... (ahem).

Yeah, I know. I think I need to rethink this "flow" strategy.

1 week later
#73 9 years ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

In the main, better rulesets. Multiplayer EMs had no ability to retain the playfield settings from player to player, so the games just reset after every ball.

That's mostly true, but split bank games like Williams 8 Ball could retain settings for individual players. Pretty cool feature. Thanks Norm Clark!

#91 9 years ago

What about Gusher and Satellite from 58? Just kidding.

#101 9 years ago
Quoted from hoov:

Who doesn't want a Nags?

I'd like a Nags but for the price of a Hot Line.

1 week later
#136 9 years ago
Quoted from thumperbumper:

I just hated the particle board some of the Williams games were made of

Hmm, the only particle board I've seen in a 60s Williams is the piece on the front of the light board? You know that separates the feature lighting. No where else that I'm aware of. I do remember the back of my Gold Strike cabinet was made of particle board. About the worst place for it as often times cabs are stored upright in a damp garage or basement. To be fair though 60s Williams cabinet paint sucks. It's very fragile and often flakes like dandruff.

#143 9 years ago
Quoted from Rat_Tomago:

Everyone is hiding those 200 dollar 70's pointy people pins they own.

Wrong era. The pointy people didn't really show up until the late 60s.

11 months later
#155 8 years ago

I just added Wing Ding and Hot Line to my small collection. Thanks FrankJ. Both are fun but wow is Hot Line maddeningly addictive. I'm loving that game.

#157 8 years ago

Wing Ding definitely has a killer glass.

2 weeks later
#165 8 years ago

Wait, what? Ken you got a Heat Wave? That is awesome.

#172 8 years ago

Looks like this one could fit the bill?
pittsburgh.craigslist.org link

#177 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinballprowess:

Now, see... 'that' would have been a good title for Shay to do... not Jungle.
Not that Jungle is a bad game... I've just seen more 3 Coins with horrible glasses.
Hopefully, he's sold more than I think.

I don't know I'm pretty pleased that he did Jungle.

I'd be pleased if he did a bunch of Williams titles. And you may be right. I'm sure 3 Coins owners would be happy to have a reproduction glass available. It just seems to be a fairly scarce title.

#179 8 years ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:

Looks like the cab art was sanded off...

I think it is just faded. Williams cab paint wasn't their strongest feature. Simple enough design though.

#185 8 years ago
Quoted from EM-PINMAN:

Blasphemy! Heathen!
Actually the new colors do look better.....humm.....
Ken

Yes, so conflicted. The purist in me wants to not like it. But then it does look very nice.

#195 8 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

For me this would be one short list.
Blast Off/Apollo is pretty fun.

Come on Levi? You have pretty diverse tastes. The only 60s Williams game you like is Blast Off/Apollo?

When I first read your post my reaction was, hell yeah! Then after I thought about it, was wait a minute?

#199 8 years ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:

One of the worst original stencils I've found is Paradise. What the heck is this mismatched nonsense? Looks like some kind of Jetsons-era bingo card... yeeeeccch!
I have a Paradise and definitely won't be redoing it like the original... no sir. It's getting Polynesian stencils with lei's. Might go full wood veneer too.

paradise_(resized).jpg

Speaking of mismatched. Just 21 has to take the cake. But then it's sort of so quirky it's awesome. It definitely has to be one of the coolest cab paints ever. To re-theme to a couple swing dancing would be borderline criminal.

Sorry to insert another Gott in the Williams post. We don't get that many of them...

Just21_(resized).jpgJust21_(resized).jpg

#206 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Those futuristic cabinets from the early 60s are pretty darn solid and heavy. Even the bottom panel is at least a half inch thick.

Actually the IPDB says the bottom panel was increased from 1/4" to 3/4". Heavy duty. And you feel it when you try to move one. That's ok though my Jungle is staying put.

#207 8 years ago

It certainly would have seemed appropriate on Rocket Ship or Universe. Not that their cabs aren't attractive already.

#209 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinballprowess:

Maybe this is something Williams finally stopped later on.
I know my Ten Spot has a football on one of the sides... I could have probably lived without.

You can live without Ten Spot? That's great, drop it at Odin's. He said he's sending me King Pin already.

#214 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

When you drop it off we can go a dollar a game on all the multiplayers.

Aha, that's how you make your pin money. Poor Bob. Paying to play Frontiersman and taking all his dollar bills on the multi-players.

1 year later
#280 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Super enticing when it's lit for 500!

Used to drive me nuts, most of the time you'd set up your shot it wasn't lit anymore. Boy was it satisfying if you could cash in though.

#282 6 years ago

Mabs must have been feeling extra mean that day. Tying the bonus advance to the slings was just cruel.

#298 6 years ago

Pop a card came out the same month as Granada. I never realized until today Granada was a 2" flipper game. I just thought it was the oddball AAB version of Spanish Eyes. Well I guess it still is. Never played one, curious now...

#307 6 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

"Granada" is a very good player. It was my favorite game at the local arcade back in the day. They had a "Spanish Eyes" as well, but oddly it had a "Granada" backglass in it. Then, they got a second "Granada". This one had metal flipper bats installed. This one became my regular player. It's really a blast to get the number sequence and the letter sequence. Then you can win four extra balls with three shots at the center target array. Many are turned off by the artwork, but both of these games are great players, and I believe they were the first with DC flippers.
Don't pass up a "Granada" if you have a chance at one. It's really a lot of fun to play.

Hey I wonder if Granada is the only DC 2" flipper game? It was one of those games I never paid much attention to. My interest is growing.

#335 6 years ago
Quoted from bek1966:

What's everyone's opinion on Zig Zag or Wing Ding? I have not owned either, but like the theme. I guess it's a Wisconsin north woods Lake thing...

I have owned both and found each to be pretty good games. Not top shelf but still fun. They are a simple game. Mostly shooting for the lit kick outs but it could get you going. I'd have to push the start button a few times if I walked up. The art is great and like you say is a perfect Northwoods theme.

5 years later
#355 11 months ago
Quoted from Nikko:

Are Alpine Club & Ski Club the same game?

Essentially but Alpine Club is the replay version, Ski Club is the Add-A-Ball version.

#363 11 months ago

I'm working on a Neptune and seems cool but we're gumming up the 60s Williams thread.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
1,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Edmonds, WA
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider AlexF.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/top-10-list-of-williams-early-to-mid-60s-em-favorites?tu=AlexF and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.