20230504_180347 (resized).jpg
20230504_180330 (resized).jpg
20230504_180337 (resized).jpg
20220706_163743 (resized).jpg
IMG_1149 (resized).JPG
DSCN5656 (resized).JPG
20171221_204119 (resized).jpg
20171221_204014 (resized).jpg
There are 375 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 8.
#251 8 years ago

Yes please make a video! The ones on Youtube are of the spastic "follow the ball" variety in noisy environments. Might as well be watching the spin cycle on my laundry machine....

#252 8 years ago

Cast me a vote for Riverboat

#253 8 years ago

Updated list:

Mikala moves the Riverboat upstream into a tie for 2nd place with King Pin

1. Teachers Pet (8 likes)
2. King Pin (7 likes)
3. Riverboat (7 likes)
4. Nags (6 likes)
5. Big Daddy (5 likes)
6. Heat Wave (5 likes)
7. Apollo/Blast Off (5 likes)
8. 8 Ball (4 likes)
9. Space Ship (4 likes)
10. Friendship 7 (4 likes)
11. 4 Roses (4 likes)

Honorable mention to:

Jungle (3 likes)
Space Ship (3 likes)
Hot Line (3 likes)
Rocket (3 likes)
Skill Pool (3 likes)
Beat the Clock (3 likes)

#254 8 years ago
Quoted from jodini:

No love for "Lucky Strike"
I've owned King Pin, Nags and Riverboat but kind of like my Lucky Strike.

008_(resized).JPG

Your Lucky Strike sounds like an awesome game to own jodini!

#255 8 years ago
Quoted from hoov:

Your Lucky Strike sounds like an awesome game to own jodini!

Not to mention the thing looks like a beautiful example.

Bravo!

#256 8 years ago

OK Hoov, I'm sending King Pin and Classy Bowler. You and Alex can work it out. I got enough around here to keep me busy.

#257 8 years ago

DSCN4319_(resized).JPGDSCN4319_(resized).JPG

DSCN4323_(resized).JPGDSCN4323_(resized).JPG

#258 8 years ago

I figured this thread might be the best place to start. Just purchased a 1965 Bowl A Strike with at least one known issue. I'm digging into it, but could use some help since I don't have a schematic yet. I'm hoping someone that follows this thread might own BaS or Lucky Strike, it's replay cousin.

I've narrowed the issue down to a reset failure of the bank of switches for the bowling pins. Each pin has a corresponding latching switch mechanism. When I start up the game, the reels zero properly and the ball count resets to five momentarily. I say momentatily because when the switches are all fully engaged at start up, the "spare relays" (1st, 2nd, and 3rd) fire in succession and then the knocker continually fires forever. The game thinks the player is continually getting spares, which awards a ball for each after the third is obtained.

If I manually reset the switches before startup, the sequence appears normal. The issue doesn't then arise until I trip all ten switches during gameplay.

Can someone tell me what is responsible for firing the 115V reset coil tied to the bank of switches? I believe the coil is good, as it reads 9 ohms and doesn't look fried. I need to know the sequence to get the bank to reset after a spare is obtained.

Any insight would help. Thanks!

Ryan

#259 8 years ago

O.K.....Odin! If my King Pin looked as good as yours, I might of kept it! NICE!

Ryan,
If I was you, I would start up a topic on the EM tech side and make up some videos of the problem at hand. I have a Lucky Strike and would be happy to help also.

#260 8 years ago

I'm moving it to EM Tech. I'll try to make/post a video tonight.

1 year later
#261 6 years ago

Restoring a riverboat now that I picked up as part of a package. Really nice machine and well thought out.

7 months later
#262 6 years ago

I only have 3 pins and the only Williams 1960's is #4roses. I haven't played it yet but the previous owner said it was the one he liked best.

#263 6 years ago

Love the artwork and bells on that one. It's a real butt-kicker!

#264 6 years ago

4-Roses is a real butt kicker. And a fine game. Only reason I sold mine is because a friend really wanted it and I was kind of cramped on space. Red isn't really my color anyway.

Pit Stop and Big Daddy would be the last ones I'd ever consider parting with, although there are quite a few others that still get played all the time.

#265 6 years ago

Here's my two early to mid 60's Williams games: Beat the Clock and 8 Ball. Lot's of fun and definitely "like-worthy" in my opinion.

Brad

Sorry for the fuzzy Beat the Clock pic. I kind a like to have a beer or two with the lights turned down the the games turned on.

IMG_9543 (resized).JPGIMG_9543 (resized).JPG

IMG_9553 (resized).JPGIMG_9553 (resized).JPG

IMG_9552 (resized).JPGIMG_9552 (resized).JPG

#266 6 years ago
Quoted from bek1966:

Here's my two early to mid 60's Williams games: Beat the Clock and 8 Ball. Lot's of fun and definitely "like-worthy" in my opinion.
Brad
Sorry for the fuzzy Beat the Clock pic. I kind a like to have a beer or two with the lights turned down the the games turned on.

Two very nice looking games. Restored?

I love that backglass on 8Ball.

#267 6 years ago

That's a fine pair alright.

#268 6 years ago

I have a Hot Line, Lucky Strike and a Beat The Clock.

All of these games are true players.

Still restoring Apollo.

And yes, Rocket is a damn fine game too.

#269 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Big Daddy would be the last ones I'd ever consider parting with

wb odin! Sell me your Big Daddy! hahahahaha Sell it to me!

#270 6 years ago

Too many to mention. Williams made a lot of great games during that time although they were always "second fiddle" to Gottlieb. "Teacher's Pet" and "Moulin Rouge" are a couple of good ones that are often unnoticed.

#271 6 years ago

You can count all of the reverse wedgeheads as worthy games. "Heat Wave" may be the best of that group.

#272 6 years ago
Quoted from Mikala:

Two very nice looking games. Restored?

No, both games are unrestored.

Beat the Clock is in pretty decent shape. Cosmetically, the cabinet is the worst part of it and it is not bad. The playfield had a small area of wear south of the kick-out hole. I touched up the green paint and called it a day. Other than the touch-up, the PF is real nice. The back glass is also nice. Just a little bit of touch-up on the "K" in clock, Plastics are great. Best of all it plays perfectly.

8 Ball is not in as nice condition as Beat the Clock. The cabinet is not too bad and the coin door/mech was rebuilt by the previous owner. It's my only game that is not set for free play. I figured that the PO went to the trouble of making the coin mech work so why not use it? I like the sound of dropping a coin into the slot and hearing the credits build-up. I won't change my other games over from free play, but it's fun on this one. The back glass is flaking, but is mostly there. The plastic are pretty decent. The playfield has a good (meaning "not") amount of wear - especially under the right flipper. I swear someone must have sharpened the bottom edge of the flipper and set it on the wood and installed a Tesla coil because there is a noticeable arc shaved out of the PF under it! The bells were missing when the previous owner got it and he spared the expense of replacing them by buying a door bell from the hardware store - it works.

I like both games, but 8 Ball is my favorite of the two. Game play is a lot of fun - it's a great two player game. It's a tough game to find in these parts which is why I wasn't too picky when deciding to bring it home.

Brad

#273 6 years ago

I have a few good players. Jig Saw, Big Daddy, Sea Wolf and 21”.
21” gets played the most. Maybe in the top 3 in my little collection. It’s one of those games you walk up to and smile. Art, play...great game. I think card themed pins can be 2 games in 1. Easier to incorporate the theme into the game.
Here you’re trying to beat the dealer, who shows it’s hand at the end (18,19,20,21 or Bust). Some games you’ll reach 17-21 early, and then you try to NOT hit anything the last couple-few balls and then drain. Gambling! Different than any other game I play.
You can win replays by score, special, card score and match. If you have a chance to play or buy one, do it. Neat game.
Dave

17A86DD0-CF66-4A5C-915F-1FB26CEFE8BB (resized).jpeg17A86DD0-CF66-4A5C-915F-1FB26CEFE8BB (resized).jpeg

#274 6 years ago

"21" is extremely difficult to beat via "special". It is a nice pin though.

#275 6 years ago

21 is a great game. Still waiting on a new backglass for mine.

Quoted from bek1966:

I like both games, but 8 Ball is my favorite of the two. Game play is a lot of fun - it's a great two player game. It's a tough game to find in these parts which is why I wasn't too picky when deciding to bring it home.

Those are two that I have looked for and have kind of alluded me. I have a project Beat The Clock, but it too needs a backglass.

8-Ball looks like a fun game. Williams made a bunch of great multiplayer games in the 60s. The ones I have get played more than a lot of the more popular single player games that have passed thru here. They are the keepers.

#276 6 years ago

Yes, we like multiplayer games.

I can't say I have found many multiplayer woodrails that not only look great, but played great and got the competitive juices flowing like this 1960 Serenade. I've had and played quite a few. Now, it's the only one. And it's built like a tank, or a barge if you will.

DSCN5643 (resized).JPGDSCN5643 (resized).JPG
DSCN5644 (resized).JPGDSCN5644 (resized).JPG

#277 6 years ago

Great looking game. The target between the gobble holes looks very enticing - and also the girl band on the backglass!

Brad

#278 6 years ago
Quoted from bek1966:

Great looking game. The target between the gobble holes looks very enticing!
Brad

I like the risk/reward with the location of the target.

#279 6 years ago
Quoted from bek1966:

The target between the gobble holes looks very enticing

Super enticing when it's lit for 500!

#280 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Super enticing when it's lit for 500!

Used to drive me nuts, most of the time you'd set up your shot it wasn't lit anymore. Boy was it satisfying if you could cash in though.

#281 6 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

Used to drive me nuts, most of the time you'd set up your shot it wasn't lit anymore

No shit. It and the gobble holes are trading places lit for big points, but by the time the ball stops bouncing between the slingshots it drops in the left hand hole and gives you 10.

#282 6 years ago

Mabs must have been feeling extra mean that day. Tying the bonus advance to the slings was just cruel.

#283 6 years ago

Did I forget to thank you for sending me this thing? Sometimes it's best just to stand there and look at it all lit up.

#284 6 years ago

Hi
Miss-O, ipdb says Feb. 1969 has 2 inch flipperbats, Post Time, April 1969 has 3 inch flipperbats, Suspense, May 1969 has 2 inch flipperbats, Smart Set, June 1969 has 3 inch flipperbats, Paddock, Sept. 1969 and the following pins have 3 inch flipperbats.

The OP in his post-1 writes about 2 inch flipperbats - edited his post to the range "1959 to 1967" (to add 'Rocket') --- well, this search http://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?mfgid=413&yr=1967&sortby=date&searchtype=advanced shows all the 1967-pins --- I am proud owner of ("Cabaret Dec. 1968",) "Jolly Roger" and "Shangri La" (Shangri La was my first love in the Arcade times (very late 1960ies) --- to me the Shangri La is one of the best 2 inch flipper pins) --- I wish I'd also have an Pit Stop and an Apollo (and more of the aera). Greetings Rolf

#285 6 years ago
Quoted from rolf_martin_062:

Post Time, April 1969 has 3 inch flipperbats

And that was the beginning of the end...

#286 6 years ago

Slightly off topic that was 1969 Williams, but I remember playing a Gottlieb 4 Square (1971) with 2" flippers. They must have carried them farther than Williams did with their pinball machines?

#287 6 years ago

Yes and Bally carried them even further with Nip It and Fireball.

My most recent acquisition is what I believe is the last game with two inch flippers in the original direction. Stop N Go from 1964.

This is a great and very addictive game to play.

image-13 (resized).jpgimage-13 (resized).jpg

#288 6 years ago

Hi
"Stop 'N' Go" - http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=2386 --- and "Red 'N' Go" - http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=6143 (the unnamed pictures in ipdb) --- I have seen this machine in Switzerland ...
here https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-jackpot-with-posts-or-without-posts#post-2718206 --- "somebody who has worked in business at the time" --- well, he never could get my a picture of the Swiss slot machine 'Stop N Go' (he remembers seeing this slot machine)

So ipdb cannot write about "a Swiss company producing slot machines named "Stop N Go" made Williams to change for Switzerland to "Red 'N' Go" --- we cannot prove ... Greetings Rolf

P.S.: The slot machines "Go-N-Stop" was all over in Switzerland - but not the "Stop 'N' Go" ...

#289 6 years ago

Norm Clark’s unique design weirdness strikes again! How do the stop and go targets figure into the scoring/gameplay? Never had a chance to play that one yet...

#290 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Yes and Bally carried them even further with Nip It and Fireball.
My most recent acquisition is what I believe is the last game with two inch flippers in the original direction. Stop N Go from 1964.
This is a great and very addictive game to play.

Is that a moving target in the center like Heat Wave?

#291 6 years ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:

How do the stop and go targets figure into the scoring/gameplay?

When you launch the ball it passes thru the upper gate and lites go. That triggers the value of the moving target to rotate, once every time the target gets all the way to the right where there is a switch. So it goes click click click as the value changes.

When hitting stop by the upper rollover button or the three playfield targets, it stops the value at wherever it is and lites the multiplier. Althought the swinging target doesn't stop.

Catch phrase for this game during competition is "you need a stop".

#292 6 years ago

Aha so stop it on the 50 if you can and cash in... which of course is hard as hell due to the reverse flippers.

Norm was brilliant at dangling rewards just out of reach before yanking them away.

#293 6 years ago

The idea is to get a stop and drop it in the kicker between the flippers which is also multiplied and hope it then hits the swinging target. But it all happens so fast. The outlanes next to the flippers are unforgiving.

#294 6 years ago

Ha! I wondered when someone would bring up Stop ‘N’ Go. This has one of my favorite art packages of any pin. I marvel at the detail Art Stenholm put into both the backglass and playfield artwork. Love the theme too. It reminds me of the card game Mille Bornes I used to play as a kid.

#295 6 years ago

It is a real beauty and I was lucky as it came with a perfect and flawless backglass. Not too common on a game of this vintage.

#296 6 years ago
Quoted from Grayman_EM:

I remember playing a Gottlieb 4 Square (1971) with 2" flippers. They must have carried them farther than Williams did with their pinball machines?

Agree, but years back when I picked up a Williams Granada (1972), it took me by surprise
seeing that it had 2" Flippers..
One day I hope to have the added space to set up the 60s Williams pins..

#297 6 years ago
Quoted from Mopar:

Williams Granada (1972)

I've never seen one of those before. Released one month after Fireball which I thought was the last game to use only two inch flippers.

So Williams was the first with three inchers and the last to use only two inchers. Learn something new every day!

#298 6 years ago

Pop a card came out the same month as Granada. I never realized until today Granada was a 2" flipper game. I just thought it was the oddball AAB version of Spanish Eyes. Well I guess it still is. Never played one, curious now...

#299 6 years ago

Nip-It from 1973 was the last one featuring 2-inch-Flippers exclusively because there still was a little demand for the Bally Zipper-Flippers, which weren't available with 3-inch's.
Gottlieb was conservative and stuck on 2-inch until early 1971 with Now, the same way they were kinda stucked in EM from 77 to 79.

#300 6 years ago
Quoted from Mardi-Gras-Man:

Nip-It from 1973 was the last one featuring 2-inch-Flippers

That's what I always thought in the first place, but somehow I started thinking it was a 1972 game. Need more sleep at night or something.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

1,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Edmonds, WA
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 12.00
There are 375 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 8.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/top-10-list-of-williams-early-to-mid-60s-em-favorites/page/6?hl=bek1966 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.