20230504_180347 (resized).jpg
20230504_180330 (resized).jpg
20230504_180337 (resized).jpg
20220706_163743 (resized).jpg
IMG_1149 (resized).JPG
DSCN5656 (resized).JPG
20171221_204119 (resized).jpg
20171221_204014 (resized).jpg
There are 375 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 8.
#51 9 years ago

Alex,

If any of these games come up for sale locally I'll let you know.

Trade Winds
Beat the Clock
Moulin Rouge
8-ball
Smarty

#52 9 years ago
Quoted from hoov:

Alex,
Trade Winds
Beat the Clock
Moulin Rouge
8-ball
Smarty

I know where there's a Beat the Clock and maybe an 8-Ball in Rockford (but you both know that already too).

8-Ball might be gone now though.

#53 9 years ago

8 Ball is gone and I think he changed his mind on Beat the Clock.

#54 9 years ago

Go get them Alex!

#55 9 years ago

I have a River Boat and a Teacher's Pet for sale, both in VG to Excellent condition. PM if interested.

#56 9 years ago
Quoted from hoov:

Alex,
Trade Winds
Beat the Clock
Moulin Rouge
8-ball
Smarty

I appreciate it Hoov. Add Teacher's Pet to that list. I had one and foolishly let it go. I think I could get it back but it would probably take a game to trade.

#57 9 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

I appreciate it Hoov. Add Teacher's Pet to that list. I had one and foolishly let it go. I think I could get it back but it would probably take a game to trade.

It was a nice Teacher's Pet too... (ahem).

#58 9 years ago

Blast Off / Apollo is a great game.

Lots of satisfying shots especially hitting a bunch of the rollovers consecutively to advance the countdown to the "launch" (bagatelle).

#59 9 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

It was a nice Teacher's Pet too... (ahem).

Yeah, I know. I think I need to rethink this "flow" strategy.

#60 9 years ago

Really like just about all those listed or mentioned here. "Moulin Rouge" is a great game. "Space Ship" is good too, but I think it has more ways to lose the ball than any other pin. Williams really did make a lot of great games all throughout their history. Several had crappy artwork, but were good players. "Super Star"/"Big Star" come to mind.

#61 9 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

Space Ship" is good too, but I think it has more ways to lose the ball than any other pin.

Spaceship is also probably the only pin to have an on the playfield special ready to be won,
at the start of the 1st ball, prior to plunging.

#62 9 years ago
Quoted from hoov:

Top ten Williams em's between '60 - '67

Updated....

1. King Pin (6 likes)
2. Big Daddy (5 likes)
3. River Boat (5 likes)
4. Heat Wave (5 likes)
5. Teachers Pet (5 likes)
6. Trade Winds (3 likes)
7. Jungle (3 likes)
8. Space Ship (3 likes)
9. 3 Coins (2 likes)
10. 4 Roses (2 likes)
11. 8 ball (2 likes)
12. Skill Pool (2 likes)
13. Wing Ding (2 likes)

14. Zig Zag

#63 9 years ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

Spaceship is also probably the only pin to have an on the playfield special ready to be won,
at the start of the 1st ball, prior to plunging.

Yeah... a really cool feature!

An 'on playfield' special lit before you even plunge the ball... and doable too! You just have to avoid the top rollovers and not hit an advance before you get a chance to flip the ball. I've done it on the beginning of a game but it's not easy and wouldn't bet my life I did it again before I hit an advance and it was gone. And even though all four rockets 'can' line up again during play, that usually doesn't happen too often and even if it does... the likelihood of you hitting it isn't very great. Because by that time, you are too busy keeping your eye on the ball and just trying to keep it alive, so probably wouldn't notice it anyway.

This is a game incidentally, that you really need to have a liberal tilt set... and also have the larger-sized rubber rings on the posts down by the flippers.

And even at that... you had better be an above average player and have good nudging skills.

#64 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinballprowess:

Yeah... a really cool feature!
An 'on playfield' special lit before you even plunge the ball... and doable too! You just have to avoid the top rollovers and not hit an advance before you get a chance to flip the ball. I've done it on the beginning of a game but it's not easy and wouldn't bet my life I did it again before I hit an advance and it was gone. And even though all four rockets 'can' line up again during play, that usually doesn't happen too often and even if it does... the likelihood of you hitting it isn't very great. Because by that time, you are too busy keeping your eye on the ball and just trying to keep it alive, so probably wouldn't notice it anyway.
This is a game incidentally, that you really need to have a liberal tilt set... and also have the larger-sized rubber rings on the posts down by the flippers.
And even at that... you had better be an above average player and have good nudging skills.

I think Gottlieb 300/Top Score has a standup target lit for Special before plunging the ball. (The upper right one that has the 'When Lit' Special insert near it.)

#65 9 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

I think Gottlieb 300/Top Score has a standup target lit for Special before plunging the ball. (The upper right one that has the 'When Lit' Special insert near it.)

You are correct.

#66 9 years ago

Palooka has the top add a ball lit sometimes before you plunge. All it takes is dropping the ball between the two passive bumpers without hitting them. I think I saw rat do that on his first plunge but it doesn't happen very often.

#67 9 years ago
Quoted from hoov:

DirtFlipper said:

You are correct.

No, you have to hit the star rollover at the top of the playfield to lite it and it goes out if you advance the bonus.

#68 9 years ago

A-Go-Go is my personal favorite. Really fun multi-player, bonus stealing. Fast gameplay too when shopped and clean with the extra slings on the PF. Love the art too.

#69 9 years ago

Beat the Clock and Friendship 7 were great!

#70 9 years ago

All 1 player games. I have little experience with old EMs. Why is it that people prefer the single players to multiplayers?

#71 9 years ago

Hey. Since you are listin your faves, I mite as well add my collection of 60's Williams
at least 3 of you said 8-Ball, I got one several years ago, and it is awesome, It kicks your butt!
And, it's the first recorded use of split scoring.
It's sister, A go-go, simple layout, 4 flips, tough to roll. first use of roulette wheel.
Full House, a sister also, tough to KEEP hand reels on winning hand.
I got a Merry Widow from Joe some years back, it was rough, but I like the challenge. cleaned it up, played the s*#t out of it, moved it to a friends house,"needed room" still goin strong.
IMO, 60's Williams games are some of the most fun to play!

#72 9 years ago
Quoted from EvanDickson:

All 1 player games. I have little experience with old EMs. Why is it that people prefer the single players to multiplayers?

In the main, better rulesets. Multiplayer EMs had no ability to retain the playfield settings from player to player, so the games just reset after every ball.

#73 9 years ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

In the main, better rulesets. Multiplayer EMs had no ability to retain the playfield settings from player to player, so the games just reset after every ball.

That's mostly true, but split bank games like Williams 8 Ball could retain settings for individual players. Pretty cool feature. Thanks Norm Clark!

#74 9 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

That's mostly true, but split bank games like Williams 8 Ball could retain settings for individual players. Pretty cool feature. Thanks Norm Clark!

True enough, but those were pretty rare. Most multiplayers just reset the whole playfield.

But noted for this thread, another thing that Williams did to innovate.

#75 9 years ago
Quoted from sudsy7:

No, you have to hit the star rollover at the top of the playfield to lite it and it goes out if you advance the bonus.

I seem to remember that. It was many years ago I had that game.

#76 9 years ago

Moving 8-ball up the list.......

1. King Pin (6 likes)
2. Big Daddy (5 likes)
3. River Boat (5 likes)
4. Heat Wave (5 likes)
6. Trade Winds (3 likes)
7. Jungle (3 likes)
8. Space Ship (3 likes)
9. 8 Ball (3 likes)
10. 3 Coins (2 likes)
11. 4 Roses (2 likes)
12. Skill Pool (2 likes)
13. Wing Ding (2 likes)
14. Zig Zag (2 likes)

#77 9 years ago
Quoted from hoov:

Moving 8-ball up the list.......
1. King Pin (6 likes)
2. Big Daddy (5 likes)
3. River Boat (5 likes)
4. Heat Wave (5 likes)
6. Trade Winds (3 likes)
7. Jungle (3 likes)
8. Space Ship (3 likes)
9. 8 Ball (3 likes)
10. 3 Coins (2 likes)
11. 4 Roses (2 likes)
12. Skill Pool (2 likes)
13. Wing Ding (2 likes)
14. Zig Zag (2 likes)

Conspicuously missing from list:

Nags
Moulin Rouge
Big Deal
Soccer
Ten Spot
Highways

IMNSHO

#78 9 years ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

True enough, but those were pretty rare. Most multiplayers just reset the whole playfield.

Not my Pit Stop. Great multiplayer game! Very addictive for two players going head to head.

#79 9 years ago

Glen,

I did miss Nags and Moulin Rouge as tied for 10th with all the others I have listed. I missed Nags probably because originally my thread said what's your favorite early '62 - mid-sixties '66 Williams em's. I now have expanded it to 1960 - 1967. I had only one vote each for your other 4 titles so they don't make the list.

If someone originally didn't vote for the '60, '61, and '67 titles such as Nags, etc., please do and I'll change the tally to reflect.

Conspicuously missing from list:
Nags
Moulin Rouge
Big Deal
Soccer
Ten Spot
Highways
IMNSHO

1. King Pin (6 likes)
2. Big Daddy (5 likes)
3. River Boat (5 likes)
4. Heat Wave (5 likes)
6. Trade Winds (3 likes)
7. Jungle (3 likes)
8. Space Ship (3 likes)
9. 8 Ball (3 likes)
10. 3 Coins (2 likes)
11. 4 Roses (2 likes)
12. Skill Pool (2 likes)
13. Wing Ding (2 likes)
14. Zig Zag (2 likes)
15. Nags (2 likes)
16. Moulin Rouge (2 likes)

#80 9 years ago
Quoted from hoov:

I now have expanded it to 1960 - 1967

Expand it to 1959 and we can include Rocket.

#81 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I've got to at least keep it at least some kind of a 60's list

#82 9 years ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

Absolutely true, hard to beat the single players for this very reason.

But also, it just seems like they had better playfield designs in most cases. You have to remember too, that multi-players had to be designed with the thought... that other players were waiting to get their turn. I'm sure this almost 'had' to be a consideration. Which is why you never see multi-players designed like say, a Trade Winds, King Pin, Big Deal, Moulin Rouge... or any of the great nudger's games, where a good player can keep the ball alive for considerably longer, armed with the right skills.

But even so, every once in a great while... a multi-player designed this way and resets after every ball can be a great game too. 'Shangri-La' comes to mind and 'Oh Boy' as well... but for different reasons.

#83 9 years ago

I would add Nags to the list. Different in terms of 'playability' but very fun and simply beautiful just to look at.

#84 9 years ago
Quoted from hoov:

Glen,
I did miss Nags and Moulin Rouge as tied for 10th with all the others I have listed. I missed Nags probably because originally my thread said what's your favorite early '62 - mid-sixties '66 Williams em's. I now have expanded it to 1960 - 1967. I had only one vote each for your other 4 titles so they don't make the list.
If someone originally didn't vote for the '60, '61, and '67 titles such as Nags, etc., please do and I'll change the tally to reflect.

1. King Pin (6 likes)
2. Big Daddy (5 likes)
3. River Boat (5 likes)
4. Heat Wave (5 likes)
6. Trade Winds (3 likes)
7. Jungle (3 likes)
8. Space Ship (3 likes)
9. 8 Ball (3 likes)
10. 3 Coins (2 likes)
11. 4 Roses (2 likes)
12. Skill Pool (2 likes)
13. Wing Ding (2 likes)
14. Zig Zag (2 likes)
15. Nags (2 likes)
16. Moulin Rouge (2 likes)

I'll add a "like" to Nags, which I enjoy very much. I also gave a "like" to River Boat last week...

#85 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

It's funny o-din said this... because I was thinking the same thing myself. Go back just prior to 1960 and you pick up a lot of great Williams titles. Games such as Satellite, Gusher, Spot Pool, Sea Wolf and of course, the wonderful 'Rocket'. But I understand of course... sixties games, are sixties games.

#86 9 years ago
Quoted from hoov:

sudsy7 said:

I seem to remember that. It was many years ago I had that game.

Yep, and there is even a 3-position adjustment as to how often the top rollover is lit up. Once you lite up the special though, you need to hit the target before you hit anything that will cause score motor rotation, or else it will go out (the special circuit is held on by NC motor switch).

#87 9 years ago

the wonderful 'Rocket'.

From what I understand there were never very many made, and probably very few survivors so not many have seen one in person. But it is wonderful indeed.

#88 9 years ago

I'll second, or third, 1966 Hot Line.

#89 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

From what I understand there were never very many made, and probably very few survivors so not many have seen one in person. But it is wonderful indeed.

And even if you 'do' see them, the artwork is usually tore-up above the flippers.

#90 9 years ago

Ok,

Since Rocket is so close to Nags and you two say it so good we'll change the date range from '59 - '67. I was really wanting to know what the popular titles were from this time period anyway - we'll just stretch it out a bit. I'm not going into the 70's though. Someone can start their own 70's thread because I know there's been a few 70's titles mentioned already.

Only 2 likes for Rocket though so you better talk it up some more if you want it to make the list.

New list moving Nags up:

1. King Pin (6 likes)
2. Big Daddy (5 likes)
3. River Boat (5 likes)
4. Heat Wave (5 likes)
6. Nags (4 likes)
7. Trade Winds (3 likes)
8. Jungle (3 likes)
9. Space Ship (3 likes)
10. 8 Ball (3 likes)

#91 9 years ago

What about Gusher and Satellite from 58? Just kidding.

#92 9 years ago
Quoted from ReallifePin:

I'll second, or third, 1966 Hot Line.

Adding another Hot Line vote:

1. King Pin (6 likes)
2. Big Daddy (5 likes)
3. River Boat (5 likes)
4. Heat Wave (5 likes)
6. Nags (4 likes)
7. Trade Winds (3 likes)
8. Jungle (3 likes)
9. Space Ship (3 likes)
10. 8 Ball (3 likes)
11. Hot Line (3 likes)

#93 9 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

Troublemaker

#94 9 years ago

Spanish Eyes and Klondike

#95 9 years ago

And even if you 'do' see them, the artwork is usually tore-up above the flippers.

Not always.

305585-i.jpg305585-i.jpg

#96 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Not always.
305585-i.jpg

Hey!

How'd you get a picture of my Rocket playfield??

#97 9 years ago

Hey!
How'd you get a picture of my Rocket playfield??

What? You only charge five cents per play too? What a coincidence!

#98 9 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

You can't do that

Now you have to add Jigsaw 1958!

#99 9 years ago

Shout out for a Nags.

Steve J.

#100 9 years ago
Quoted from SteveinTexas:

Shout out for a Nags.
Steve J.

Nags moves up another notch - not surprising since we're going back to '59 now! Who doesn't want a Nags?

1. King Pin (6 likes)
2. Big Daddy (5 likes)
3. River Boat (5 likes)
4. Heat Wave (5 likes)
6. Nags (5 likes)
7. Trade Winds (3 likes)
8. Jungle (3 likes)
9. Space Ship (3 likes)
10. 8 Ball (3 likes)
11. Hot Line (3 likes)

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

1,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Edmonds, WA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 375 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 8.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/top-10-list-of-williams-early-to-mid-60s-em-favorites/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.