Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 88 posts
  • 70 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by tatman9999
  • Topic is favorited by 15 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSCF1060 copy.JPG
    Bally Classics.jpeg
    catacomb_fin_006.JPG
    catacomb_fin_009.JPG
    catacomb_fin_001.JPG
    There are 88 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 9 years ago

I like:
    Ali
    Harlem G's
    Elektra
    EBD
    Fathom
    Spirit
    Firepower
    Sinbad
    Joker Poker
    Barracora

I don't consider anything after 1983 "early SS".
    I also can't stand Xenon,
    Playboy, Flash, Kiss, or Gorgar. They are just gimicky and don't contain the gameplay of other respected classics.

I also want to state that your favorite games from years past are probably not the best games from that time, just the ones you had access to when you were playing pins back then.

#52 9 years ago

Black Hole
    Joker Poker
    EBD
    Genie
    Fathom
    Firepower
    Black Knight
    Gorgar
    Centaur
    Flash

#53 9 years ago
    Quoted from snyper2099:

I also want to state that your favorite games from years past are probably not the best games from that time, just the ones you had access to when you were playing pins back then.

Wow. Thanks for the insight.

#54 9 years ago

No particular Order

Harlem Globetrotters, Seawitch, Star Gazer, Frontier, Eight Ball Deluxe, Magic, Big Game, Paragon, Viking, FirepowerDSCF1060 copy.JPGDSCF1060 copy.JPGBally Classics.jpegBally Classics.jpeg

#55 9 years ago

No one has mentioned it yet, but I really like El Dorado City of gold

#56 9 years ago

Lets not forget Star Gazer.

1 week later
    #57 9 years ago

6 Million Dollar man is in the 10 ten for me.

#58 9 years ago

Here’s a r.g.p. favorite old games poll from august 1994:

9 votes: Black Knight

5 votes: Centaur

4 votes: Haunted House

3 votes: Black Hole
    Eight Ball Deluxe
    Silverball Mania

2 votes: Eight Ball
    Firepower
    Flash
    Gorgar
    Hercules
    Jungle Lord
    Paragon
    Playboy
    Space Invaders

1 vote: Firepower II
    Kiss
    Mars
    Meteor
    Pac-Man
    Sinbad
    Spiderman
    Vector
    Xenon

No love for Fathom in the nineties.

#59 9 years ago

Really my favorite area!

Fathom
    Catacomb
    Centaur
    Stargazer
    Flight 2000
    EBD
    Black hole
    Big Game

#60 9 years ago

No Order:

Six Million Dollar Man
    8 ball Delux
    Centaur
    Dolly
    Black Hole
    Black Knight
    Haunted House
    Flight 2000
    Genie
    Xenon

#61 9 years ago

I'm still a newbie to this era...

My 2 clear cut favorites: Farfalla, Devil Riders

In no particular order: Medusa, Elektra, Stargazer, Black Hole, Paragon, Embryon, Seawitch, Fathom

#62 9 years ago

Firepower - game play, multiball and sounds
    Gorgar - speech
    Time Warp - banana flippers
    Black Hole - speed and lower pf
    Playboy - theme and launch sound
    Evil Knievel - art work
    Strikes & Spares - colour and artwork
    Phoenix - game play
    Flash - drops
    Galaxy - art and theme

#63 9 years ago

ick!

Time Warp, Gorgar, Playboy, and Phoenix all have ZERO gameplay.

#64 9 years ago

I guess it depends on what you mean by early. I'm thinking like no later than 83, which would exclude sys 9 games like Space Shuttle. I haven't played all of them, but of the ones I have:

Centaur
    Fathom
    Eight Ball Deluxe
    Xenon
    Haunted House
    Paragon
    Black Knight
    Black Hole
    Flash
    Firepower

I'd love to see a new game with a really crazy layout like Paragon or Haunted House. You don't necessarily need 10 flowing ramps and subways all over to make a game fun and flow well. Most of these games proved that point. And most of them took some big risks for the most part, either in art or layout.

#65 9 years ago

My opinion is based on what I have played. Still a few great titles out there, especially some of the early Sterns, that I haven't had a chance to play yet (Star Gazer, Big Game, Seawitch, etc.), but I'm sure I'd love. In alphabetical order.

Andromeda - fantastic artwork and my favorite of the Game Plan era; love the saucer capture and multiball release; left pop near flippers keeps you on your toes and a tough, satisfying spinner shot.

Barracora - complicated and interesting scoring, resetting drop targets, and an awesome spinner to rip; what a beauty!

Embryon - big fan of the polarizing artwork and complete art package of this machine; great shots to the left and right that keep you coming back for more; love the "secret" passage under the left plastic, the flip save, and all of the captured ball shots

Fathom - incredible in-line drop targets, multiball, great spinner location, and probably the best art package to date; like playing a piece of pinball art

Flash Gordon - fast, nasty, and unforgiving; great spinner to ramp shots and fun moving all over the playfield to max out multipliers; probably my favorite single-ball SS

Frontier - great spinner, in-line drops, and incredible collection saucer placement; I'm probably in the minority as far as digging the art package and sounds, but there's just something endearing about them

Jungle Lord - multi-ball, bagatelle, and magna-save; love the upper playfield drops and the lower playfield horseshoe

Medusa - another great upper playfield drop target game; the art package is just incredible

Skateball - great art package and an amazing bonus collect system; love the mismatched outlanes, which keep you on your toes

Split Second - the table that made me appreciate widebodies. I played it along side of Embryon at PAPA and knew that I had to own both; two great machines to pair up.

#66 9 years ago

The one thing in common all these machines have for the most part is amazing original (mostly, some borrowed) artwork.

4 years later
    #67 5 years ago

My top 10 early solid state pins (the best era in my opinion)

1.) Firepower Williams
    2.) Black hole Gottlieb
    3.) Fathom Bally
    4.) Superman Atari
    5.) Flight 2000 stern
    6.) Xenon. Bally
    7.) Mars god of war gottlieb
    8.) Blackout Williams
    9.) Wild fyre stern
    10.) Incredible hulk gottlieb

#68 5 years ago

Talk about a Zombie thread. Come on man.

#69 5 years ago

Fathom
    Joker poker

Both great machines.

#70 5 years ago
    Quoted from fireball2:

Also, if you look at the back glass art squinty-eyed it looks just like the female reproductive system. Look at it. Now you see!

Okay now I can't get on ipdb.org. Did you silly kids bring it down?

#71 5 years ago

1-10) Eight Ball Deluxe

#72 5 years ago
    Quoted from Black_Knight:

Talk about a Zombie thread. Come on man.

The Phoenix thread has risen , always good reading though

1 week later
    #73 5 years ago

Too bad this thread did "semi-die" about 4 years ago.

With all of the new people here, I suppose that many haven't ever played many or those late EM's and early to mid-80's SS that are so fun...and also difficult to find either for sale or somewhere to play.

Robert

#74 5 years ago

Big fan of early 80's Bally's

1. Flash Gordon
    2. Centaur
    3. Medusa
    4. EBD
    5. BMX
    6. Elektra
    7. Paragon
    8. Viking
    9. Skateball
    10. Harlem Globetrotters

#75 5 years ago

All right... I'll bite this zombie...

1. Fathom
    2. Joker Poker
    3. Centaur
    4. Medusa
    5. Black Knight
    6. Harlem Globetrotters
    7. Stars
    8. Seawitch
    9. Sinbad
    10. Meteor

#76 5 years ago

1. Stargazer
    2. Quicksilver
    3. Fathom
    4. Centaur
    5. Skateball
    6. Seawitch
    7. Magic Castle (zaccaria)
    8. Elektra
    9. Nineball
    10. Gamatron

#77 5 years ago

I had Centaur for about 5 years. undoubtedly a top 5 for that list. I wish I still had it.

Dave

#78 5 years ago
    Quoted from Calipindave:

I had Centaur for about 5 years.

Had one for like 3 months. Do-not-miss.

Quoted from brenna98:

1. Stargazer
    2. Quicksilver

Ick! Those games are both single shot objective bore-festivals. I mean, Skateball and Seawitch are better designed but even those have layout issues (Seawitch) and scoring exploits (Skateball).

I will however agree that Fathom is a better game than Centaur.

#79 5 years ago

I am a huge fan of early SS games.
    I have: EBD, Seawitch, Farfalla, Genie and Joker Poker
    I would like to round out the top 10 with: Quicksilver, Fathom, Centaur, Stargazer and Pinball Champ'82 (Zaccaria)
    Unfortunately I am out of space, so that won't happen any time soon. I play those more than the modern day machines.

#80 5 years ago
    Quoted from snyper2099:

Had one for like 3 months. Do-not-miss.

Ick! Those games are both single shot objective bore-festivals. I mean, Skateball and Seawitch are better designed but even those have layout issues (Seawitch) and scoring exploits (Skateball).
    I will however agree that Fathom is a better game than Centaur.

Ha, it's funny how we all have differing opinions on these things. That's what makes it so cool and a community like this important. We need to hear that certain games are not universally loved an accepted but it also gives us some idea of the ones that get large scale acclaim.

Dave

#81 5 years ago

1. Gorgar
    2. Centaur
    3. Black Knight
    4. Fathom
    5. Firepower
    6. Space Shuttle
    7. Eight Ball Deluxe
    8. Black Hole
    9. Xenon
    10. Fireball II

#82 5 years ago

I love me some early ss Bally! Future Spa and Skateball should get asterisks for being fun enough to overcome those bgs and make many people’s lists! Flash too, come to think of it...how did they sell 20,000 of those?

#83 5 years ago

I've only owned Fathom of those listed, but if you extend the time-frame from 1984 to 1985...I owned a Comet also. Both of which I had for awhile and enjoyed while I owned them.

These games are so difficult to find in California, when I look in the marketplace they almost all seem to be east of the Mississippi.

The ones that I have played (up to 1984) and like: Laser Cue, Fathom, Black Pyramid, Centaur, EB Deluxe, Jungle Lord, Gorgar, Seawitch & Harlem Globetrotters.

Robert

#84 5 years ago

Stars
    Skateball
    Flash Gordon

Oh, do I really have to come up with seven more?

#85 5 years ago

I can't disagree with any of these you all have mentioned! I second these...

Flash (I own one and I love it! 19,500 of these speak for themselves)
    Firepower (just solid all around - only downside - I always see them with torn up playfields - a good sign of popularity)
    Flash Gordon (Good looking and tough - as a kid I hated it for stealing quarters, now I respect it)
    Xenon (simply beautiful!... not groundbreaking etc. but her looks are amazing - 70s sci-fi!)
    Paragon (arrrgh - this one just begs me to keep coming back over and over and I generally don't like widebody)
    Medusa (simply gorgeous - I almost get sad when my ball isn't at the top)

I will add...
    Galaxy (sorry, I had fun playing it)
    Blackout (GI lights go out - how cool is that)

#86 5 years ago

I didn't see these two machines listed and I haven't played them. Maybe someone had them listed and I missed it, but can anyone tell me how these 2 machines compare to the others on your lists? Andromeda & Nine Ball. They look pretty cool.

#87 5 years ago

In no order
    EBD
    Joker Poker
    Quicksilver
    Star Gazer
    Nine Ball
    Stars
    Cheetah
    Barracora
    Frontier
    Flash Gordon

1 year later
    #88 4 years ago

1. Big Game
    2 fathom
    3. Centaur
    4. Evel Knievel
    5 Harlem globetrotters
    6 playboy
    7 embryon
    8 cheetah
    9 paragon
    10 Bobby Orr

There are 88 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/top-10-early-solid-state-games/page/2?hl=spinout and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.