You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

719s5Lq8S4L._SL1500_1.jpg
nep1.jpg
nep2.jpg
nep1.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gottem.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

Got 'er in today, first EM, first pin. I need to stock up on those replaceables that go all the time, tools I'll be reaching for regularly, and plenty of cleaning supplies (cabinet and playfield).

Starting the list:

1. new ball
2. bulbs
3. Johnson's wax

What else am I shopping for?
What quantities and where?
thanks!

#6 8 years ago
Quoted from poppapin:

BTW What game did you get? You'll also need schematics unless came with your game.

Neptune, came with schematics. Is the 1978 parts book good for this game? No online resources (including PBR) have named as included.

#7 8 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Check out - getting started - there is a lot of stuff.
http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index1.htm#top

Yes that's real good, thank you.

#10 8 years ago

How about cleaning the cabinet? There are some old soda stains and general dustiness, underneath the paint is nearly perfect. Seller recommended face cloth, warm water and liquid hand soap?

#12 8 years ago
Quoted from poppapin:

Nice find!! You must post pics.

Yes soon. Been too busy exploring the game and doing research online!

As I put together my PBR order, another question re: the playfield. Opinions on putting down mylar circles at the rebound rubber and kick-out holes? Those three spots are really the only wear on the whole pf. What are the cons of putting the mylar down, not reversible right?

#17 8 years ago
Quoted from poppapin:

Show us how bad the wear is. I'm not a big fan of using mylar, sometimes its too obvious.

Upon closer inspection, just two not three as I first thought.
nep1.jpgnep1.jpgnep2.jpgnep2.jpg

#20 8 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

If you're not already a PBR customer, your first order will be limited to $50.

Yes that is a tough nut. My list of nothing much is already over that, still need to add a lane guide and bumper lower too.

Gottlieb® 1978 Parts Catalog $20.00
Novus #1 8oz. Fluid Spray Bottle $4.02
Novus #2 8oz. Fluid Squeeze $5.90
Novus Polish Mates 6-Pack $2.50
Gottlieb® 21864 MH31 Ball $1.60
Rubber Ring Kit ca. $17.00
#47 lamps box of 10 $1.50
REM Rubber Light Bulb Remover $3.00
GTB-26181+ Palnut Removal Tool $4.00

#21 8 years ago

re: Rubber Ring Kit ca. $17.00

This is a necessity. I pulled a lane guide to measure and got a good look at the rubber rings underneath. Oh boy. Cracking and fraying at the edges. Literally disintegrating. Now I know where the white dust in the various corners of the machine comes from. You can see some behind the rebound rubber in the first picture I posted above. Now I also know this really was in one home since 1993, rarely used and never serviced (which is both good and bad). They had a Baywatch too, and that got most of the play. Poor lonely Neptune, now you will be loved

#22 8 years ago
Quoted from poppapin:

Yes, I would use mylar circles on those 2 spots after touching up with correct color.

How about without the touchup? I am not at that confidence level yet. Just hit 24 hours into my first pin!

#29 8 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

Don't forget to get a hat!
stops you from pulling your hair out. EM's can do that to ya!

Hey c'mon...I'm gonna keep pretending that this thing is perfect, needing just a few tweaks and then nothing ever again heh heh...

#30 8 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

But for a first order, the catalog, schematics, manual, flexstone, blade adjustment tool would be great, then round out whatever else fits into $50.

Are we sure there's a Neptune manual? Internet search is not turning that up, not even an image. Game came with x2 schematics, all set there.

#33 8 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

Also. Just because something is not listed on PBR's web page does not mean they do not have it.
Always ask.

I would, but reading you guys (all over Pinside)...I'm a little scared of Steve

#37 8 years ago

How is their not a Neptune Club on Pinside? I have some stories to share...

#39 8 years ago
Quoted from ek77:

It may sound funny but get a towel to lay in the bottom of the game to catch small parts that may drop when working on the game.

Not funny, excellent advice. Always did this when working on engines too!

#44 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinballprowess:

Aw, c'mooon.... ya 'gotta' call to be truly inducted into the EM world.
Baptism by fire. hahaha

I chickened out and e-mailed it. Maybe next time when I at least have the parts book!

#46 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinballprowess:

Just do a little homework first to get the part numbers and you'll be fine.
People here can help you with that too if you have any trouble.
I may tease and joke around but when I need parts, Steve's the guy I'm callin'.

Cool, I get it. Haven't heard back from PBR yet, maybe I can still add these?
Need the Q and K standups. The lame sharpie 'fixes' are coming off fast

nep1.jpgnep1.jpg
Anybody have the part numbers in ez reach?

#50 8 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

they have those targets just look here
http://www.pbresource.com/pfswitch.htm
Q---GTB-A18268
K---GTB-A18269
4.00 each

You are my new best friend
I can't believe $8 just made my day lol.

#51 8 years ago

Opinions?
http://www.aboutpinball.com/pinball_machine_care_and_maintenance.php
Sure net is great, but sometimes it's nice to have good, simple book too. Old eyes get tired looking at LCD display all day
Is this that book?

#57 8 years ago

Okay, that's two against and none in support. Is there another book that is GOOD? It's okay if there isn't, just asking

#62 8 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

In my opinion the parts catalog is a complete waste of money, don't see why you would need that. I've been working on EMs for 15 years and never needed that.

I probably need it for the diagrams. Not stupid, but not mechanically inclined either (much to my father's lifelong chagrin!) This EM fixit thing is an uphill battle for me, why I went with a machine that worked well on delivery. Aside from cleaning/waxing the playfield, new rubbers and replacing one bulb and one cracked bumper skirt...anything I else I do (right now) is just for learning/kicks.

#67 8 years ago

So am I keeping this or returning it?
719s5Lq8S4L._SL1500_[1].jpg719s5Lq8S4L._SL1500_[1].jpg

Says right on the back, "NOTE: Not intended for vinyl, wood or flat paint."

#69 8 years ago

No ingredients listed.

#72 8 years ago

It's going back. In a bit of retail dead zone here, will have to take longer drives!

#75 8 years ago

Got my first batch of stuff in from PBR. New thread in EM Tech will document my progress (and failures!) on this machine.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/neptune-shop-and-a-few-fixes#post-2620361

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Decals
The Pinball Scientist

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gottem.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/toolkit-for-first-em?tu=gottem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.