Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by MattElder
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DF76E350-0723-4555-8D9B-31E89EFB8DD4 (resized).jpeg
    #1 1 year ago

Just picked up a Godzilla and the head bolts / backbox nuts were cross-threaded. My brother tried to use an old tap and die kit we had, but we either don’t know what we’re doing or our kit just won’t do the trick.

What size is the recommended size to rethread the bolts and nuts? And a good (hopefully inexpensive) brand?

DF76E350-0723-4555-8D9B-31E89EFB8DD4 (resized).jpegDF76E350-0723-4555-8D9B-31E89EFB8DD4 (resized).jpeg
    #2 1 year ago

See video.

Figure out the size of the bolt. Go to hardware store. Buy one tap that size and a handle for it.

LTG : )

#3 1 year ago

standard for both is 3/8"-16 (AKA 3/8" NC or coarse)

#4 1 year ago

A cheap tap is the worse thing you can buy.

Buy a good spiral point 3/8-16 tap. The tap handle is less critical.....for a pin leg it might work better to use a tap socket and a T handle or ratchet.

#5 1 year ago

Check this project farm video out for brand recs. I haven't watched this one yet, but this guy's tool comparison videos are fantastic.

#6 1 year ago

3/8-16

Depending on how bad it is you could get a thread chaser they reshape the threads that are distorted rather than cutting new ones.

I'd bet 90 to 95% of online stuff is Cheap crap. I'd go to a Fastenal or Grainger if you have one local or order online from them. McMaster Carr is also a very good place for quality tap/die stuff. You get what you pay for.
    I think my kit from Snapon was $600 or so. (good chance that's not made in usa) I do have an Irwin set up north that has not let me down and that was substantially cheaper.

#7 1 year ago

I could be wrong, but don’t believe the head bolts are 3/8-16. That size is for the leg bolts. I sold our later Stern pins so I can’t verify.

#8 1 year ago
    Quoted from play_pinball:

Just picked up a Godzilla and the head bolts / backbox nuts were cross-threaded. My brother tried to use an old tap and die kit we had, but we either don’t know what we’re doing or our kit just won’t do the trick.
    What size is the recommended size to rethread the bolts and nuts? And a good (hopefully inexpensive) brand?
    [quoted image]

You could also just use the spots for head to cab bolts that go from behind speaker panel straight down to cabinet.

#9 1 year ago

Personally I wouldn't use a tap. I'd used a thread chaser. Taps are for cutting threads; removing metal. You don't necessarily want to remove metal in this case, you want to straighten the threads to where they belong. There is a 48 piece set most mechanics/serious DIYrs have. It's made by Lang/Kastar, but most major brands rebrand it with their logo--Snap On, Craftsman, etc. I'd just buy the individual chasers I needed if I found myself in your situation and didn't have the need for the other 46 pieces in the set. Individual pieces can be bought from Snap On for $5-$6 each, probably cheaper elsewhere.

#10 1 year ago

I wasn’t familiar with a thread chaser. Thanks y’all. We’ll look for one of those. Fortunately there are a few Fastenal and Grainger locations around here.

Quoted from JonCBrand:

You could also just use the spots for head to cab bolts that go from behind speaker panel straight down to cabinet.

This is how I got it set up currently but I would like to fix the issue regardless.

#11 1 year ago
    Quoted from JonCBrand:

I think my kit from Snapon was $600 or so. (good chance that's not made in usa

Last I knew, their tap and die sets are still made here (not that it matters, really, as some cheap crap is made here and some good stuff can be made over there).

It's hit and miss on whether some of the Snap-On, Mac, and Matco stuff is still made here. I still buy stuff from all 3 brands and have for over 25 years, and it all seems to be the same quality as it was way back then.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tool-recommendation-request-tap-amp-die-kit-for-leg-and-head-bolts and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.