New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 100276)

tool for switches

By Raff

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 23 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Raff
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 6 years ago

whats the best tool to use for ajusting switches

#2 6 years ago

Switch adjustment tool

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/77-SWK-B

Lots of places carry them though

#3 6 years ago

that sure will be handy to have , do they come in different sizes

#4 6 years ago

That's the only size I've seen. I usually keep two around just in case since it's a cheap thing to have.

#5 6 years ago

thanks its on my next order

#6 6 years ago

awesome tool... you will love it

#7 6 years ago

you want this tool ...but either paint it hot pink or buy two .I leave it in a machine and forget where it is regularly

#8 6 years ago

How does the one from Marco compare to the one PBL carries? http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1518

I love the utility of the PBL ones, but seems I always manage to snap a tine off every other time I use them. I currently have two in my toolbox, each missing a tine, but fortunately on different ends of each one.

#9 6 years ago

This is an Australian reseller Raff

http://www.pinballspareparts.com.au/tools/l-shaped.html

#10 6 years ago

I had that problem too..after 3-4 I stopped buying them.

A couple months ago someone brought it up here and Terry chimed in and said the 'problem' was fixed.

I bought another on my last order and so far so good. Although I probably only used it 5-10 times.. I don't think I got 10 uses out of the old ones before they broke

Quoted from Blackjacker:

How does the one from Marco compare to the one PBL carries? http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1518
    I love the utility of the PBL ones, but seems I always manage to snap a tine off every other time I use them. I currently have two in my toolbox, each missing a tine, but fortunately on different ends of each one.

#11 6 years ago
    Quoted from Blackjacker:

I'd bet they are all from the same supplier. No matter where I've gotten them from I always manage to break off a part of one (which is why I always have two around).

I think no matter what, it's a thin tool and if you put too much pressure on it it's going to break. Normal switch adjustment never has snapped one on me though. It's always when I try to do it from a weird angle or something that stresses it more than normal that grenades one.

#12 6 years ago

better to have a couple of this tools

#13 6 years ago

I just got one from PBL about a week ago. For anyone who has a need for this tool and never bought one, let me say that I have been really glad to have grabbed one. Adjusting switches is so much easier and more precise now. I have a Williams Space Odyssey EM and I recently completed a flipper rebuild using a kit from PBR. My new flippers felt about the same as the old ones did in terms of power to move the ball up the table until I used this tool to fine tune my new EOS switches. I can't believe how well the flippers work now. The tool made a huge difference. I had been using needle nose pliers to do this previously but these tools are better and make it so easy to adjust switches very precisely. I could make adjustments with the needle nose but the adjuster tool is much better in my opinion. I'm sure some will say that needle nose work just as well once you really learn how to use them for his purpose, but I just find the tool so much easier. The adjuster tool from most places also has different bends on the two ends so that you can work in the confined spaces commonly found in pinball machines. Big bonus there.

Also, they enable you to make your adjustments down low on the switch where the leaf meets the switch stack which reduces the chances of breaking the leaf.

I also used the tool to fine tune my pop bumpers. It was very easy to adjust them to a point where they are now extremely responsive. It took a little time and patience to go through the process of really dialing them in, but once I was done I could not believe the difference in the operation of the pop bumpers. They are so incredibly lively (full disclosure - I rebuilt the topside components of these as well and thoroughly cleaned the underside components). Everyone who has played the table before and after this adjustment has been really surprised by the difference.

I'd say it was well worth the $8.99 I had to spend on a leaf adjuster tool. Get one and find out for yourself!

#14 6 years ago

i just finished adjusting all the switches on the second player score reel using needle nose pliers , if i had
    known about this tool before i would have used it ,it looks a lot easier to use

#15 6 years ago

Jeebus, how hard are you guys cranking on switches that you're breaking these things?

I've got one I got from PBR that I've had for years and it looks like the day I bought it.

#16 6 years ago

The PBR one is OK, but it's too big to get into the bank relay. WICO made a nice one years ago that was really small and had an offset and a short slot that was perfect, but I haven't seen one like it for sale.

If you want real quality start hunting the old Bell Telephone tools. They had a zillion different ones to get at all the switches in their switching centers, and they still come up on ebay once in a while.

ebay.com link » Vintage Bell System 507a Spring Adjuster Tool From The 1970s

ebay.com link » Vintage Bell System 326b Adjuster Tool From The 1970s

ebay.com link » Vintage Bell System 325b Adjuster Tool From The 1970s

ebay.com link » Vintage Bell System R 1760 Adjuster Tool From The 1970s

ebay.com link » Vintage Bell System 582a Spring Adjuster Tool From The 1970s

#17 6 years ago

just order it looking forward to working with it

#18 6 years ago

Thanks for the lead on the phone company tools! If they lasted this long, they should last forever!

#19 6 years ago
    Quoted from Schwaggs:

Thanks for the lead on the phone company tools! If they lasted this long, they should last forever!

Here's the Bell System tool catalog from 1931 (later ones are much bigger). Just look at all the different "spring adjusters" they made:

http://wedophones.com/TheBellSystem/pdf/bsp/mikemagnus/toolsandgauges.pdf

#20 6 years ago

when they made tools in the old days they were made to last forever

#21 6 years ago

got the Switch adjustment tool today what a great tool ,but to break a tool like that
    you would have to put it through alot of stress worth the $8.00

#22 6 years ago
    Quoted from Raff:

got the Switch adjustment tool today what a great tool ,but to break a tool like that
    you would have to put it through alot of stress worth the $8.00

Just as important Raff is a great light. Looking at those gaps can be deceiving and not always easy to 'get it right'.

#23 6 years ago

fully agree as many tools i have the most important thing is a good light and a magnifier glass

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 11.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    Various Other Swag
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    COINTAKER.COM
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 34.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 65.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    G-Money Mods
    $ 369.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 40.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Arcade Arts
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 28.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 64.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Lermods
    $ 20.00
    Various Novelties
    GC Pinball
    $ 16.95
    Playfield - Protection
    ULEKstore
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Bent Mods
    $ 29.25
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    The MOD Couple
    $ 79.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    Displays
    PinballSolutions.eu
    $ 14.95
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Rocket City Pinball
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Full Tilt Pinball LEDs
    $ 55.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 95.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    M&M Mods
    $ 8.99
    Lighting - Other
    Pappy's Pinball Palace
    € 95.00
    Lighting - Led
    FlipperLED
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Plastics
    Pinball Haus
    $ 139.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 289.00

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside