Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 38 posts
  • 25 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by hocuslocus
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20190822_214450 (resized).jpg
    S5-1 (resized).jpg
    15097 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20190820-100658_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
    C8D74420-B79C-42C7-B7EC-A80A1C34607A (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    #1 4 years ago

Hey all i know the answer is obviously a level, but i have levels that are too big and too small, so is there a perfect one?

Also how do i determine I'm exactly horizontal with the level across the playfield, or for that metter exactly vertical?

Also how do i check the slope? Is there a special level for this?

Thanks gang!

#2 4 years ago

I use the pinguy app on my phone. Open the app and place the phone in the center of the playfield. It will tell you the playfield pitch (degrees) and if it's balance left to right.

#3 4 years ago

Thank you!

#4 4 years ago

You can also use a torpedo level if you have one. I do mine in the middle of my slings but whatever makes you happy

#5 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

You can also use a torpedo level if you have one. I do mine in the middle of my slings but whatever makes you happy

Ditto

#6 4 years ago

This is what I have. Works great. It is small enough that you can get where you need to go to check your pitch and level.

https://www.sears.com/craftsman-digital-torpedo-level/p-00948295000P

#7 4 years ago
    Quoted from bluespin:

I use the pinguy app on my phone. Open the app and place the phone in the center of the playfield. It will tell you the playfield pitch (degrees) and if it's balance left to right.

Agree on the pinguy app. It talks to you so you don't have to keep getting out from under the pin to check the level.

#8 4 years ago

PinGuy app

#9 4 years ago

while not directly a problem with the PinGuy app, it doesn't work for me because my phone's camera lens sticks out a bit (and I don't use a case).

#11 4 years ago

We've got something coming very soon for this.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #12 4 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Ok, do tell more! Very interesting, I hate levelling the machines and never could get the pin guy app to work for me.

#13 4 years ago
    Quoted from Strohz:

Ok, do tell more! Very interesting, I hate levelling the machines and never could get the pin guy app to work for me.

We came up with a sensor that gets stuck to the playfield somewhere, like under the apron, and paired that with a phone app. We've been testing it for a while and have gotten some good feedback. Working on the final revisions of all the software before release in the next month or two (barring any issues).

I don't want to say too much about it before it's ready to buy, but we are pretty proud of it. @wildertronix is my partner in crime on this little gadget.

#14 4 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

We came up with a sensor that gets stuck to the playfield somewhere, like under the apron, and paired that with a phone app. We've been testing it for a while and have gotten some good feedback. Working on the final revisions of all the software before release in the next month or two (barring any issues).
    I don't want to say too much about it before it's ready to buy, but we are pretty proud of it. @wildertronix is my partner in crime on this little gadget.

I always thought an innovative company like JJP would integrate a digital level into games so you could easily go into the menu and level your game with the glass on.

So I'm glad to see someone is working on something. Good stuff here!

My only concern would be that different points of the of can give different readings, so how would a level under the apron work?

Cheers

#15 4 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

C8D74420-B79C-42C7-B7EC-A80A1C34607A (resized).pngC8D74420-B79C-42C7-B7EC-A80A1C34607A (resized).png

#16 4 years ago

If you have an iphone it has the “measure” app factory installed into unless of course you deleted it. It gives you the ability to measure and level and you can adjust to a certain pitch if you like. Don’t even get started on how many degrees pitch it should be at...

#17 4 years ago
    Quoted from WizardsCastle:

My only concern would be that different points of the of can give different readings, so how would a level under the apron work?

Without going to solutions too much, the device also knows what pitch/roll you like the machine at. As you've pointed out, not all measurement points return the exact same values, especially on older/sagging/warped playfields. This is more noticeable the more accurate the device is. This one is really accurate.

#18 4 years ago

I use a level that measures incline as well.

#19 4 years ago
    Quoted from bluespin:

Another tip is that if you’re setting a new pin in your house, and it’s an early solid state or em, don’t attach the head until after you’ve leveled the game. It makes the game much easier to lift up.

#20 4 years ago

Guys, if your camera lens sticks out, every one of the level apps will still work.

You just need to calibrate the level before first usage to compensate for the slight tilt.

#21 4 years ago
    Quoted from PghPinballRescue:

You just need to calibrate the level before first usage to compensate for the slight tilt.

Yep it's pretty easy too. Just put the phone down on a flat service and hit the calibrate button.
    Just make sure the surface your on is level when you do it...hmmm

#22 4 years ago

Mine has me calibrate, then rotate the phone 180° and calibrate again. This way the surface doesn't even have to be level.

#23 4 years ago

The phone app and conventional levels are all OK, but for about $4 on a Stern machine you can add a bubble level that will never move:
    https://www.pinballlife.com/stern-bubble-level-assembly.html
    For Bally and Williams it is like $15
    https://www.pinballlife.com/bubble-level-assembly-for-williamsbally.html
    I am a big fan of these...
    If you bump the machine and move it a little, is it still level?
    Just check the bubble...

#24 4 years ago

What pitch does everyone like to put their machines at?

#25 4 years ago

I have 2 eighties widebody pins and I like mine at 6 degrees slope. I think most of the newer pins are 6 or 6.5 for most.

#26 4 years ago
    Quoted from Murphdom:

What pitch does everyone like to put their machines at?

I like to think that the level should have the bubble in the middle, which I think is at about 6 degrees.
    However, on some machines, some people like to use 7 to 7.5 degrees, so they don't have the bubble in the middle.
    If you go to some tournaments, I think machines are at the steeper slope sometimes, to make it more difficult to win.
    Personally, I always like the bubble to be in the middle.

#27 4 years ago

This works great

Screenshot_20190820-100658_Samsung Internet (resized).jpgScreenshot_20190820-100658_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
    #28 4 years ago
    Quoted from Dent00:

The phone app and conventional levels are all OK, but for about $4 on a Stern machine you can add a bubble level that will never move:
    https://www.pinballlife.com/stern-bubble-level-assembly.html
    For Bally and Williams it is like $15
    https://www.pinballlife.com/bubble-level-assembly-for-williamsbally.html
    I am a big fan of these...
    If you bump the machine and move it a little, is it still level?
    Just check the bubble...

Sorry, but I'm more interested in something that will cost a bunch more money than that to show all my friends how tech savvy I am.

#29 4 years ago
    Quoted from Dent00:

I like to think that the level should have the bubble in the middle, which I think is at about 6 degrees.

The problem with a bubble is it can't be trusted.
    I think all modern games are 6.5, with the exception of Octoberfest or something that was mentioned to me recently.

Anyway, for older games the levelers all the way up in back and all the way down in front.

#30 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Sorry, but I'm more interested in something that will cost a bunch more money than that to show all my friends how tech savvy I am.

15097 (resized).jpg15097 (resized).jpg
    #31 4 years ago
    Quoted from JayDee:

[quoted image]

Pfft that total station is for plebs. Look at him aiming it with his eye. The newest ones are robotic and automatically follow the prism
    S5-1 (resized).jpgS5-1 (resized).jpg

#32 4 years ago

Hope this new tool is better then my current system...

IMG_20190822_214450 (resized).jpgIMG_20190822_214450 (resized).jpg
    #33 4 years ago

I have a Bosch commercial digital level that I paid $300 for.... The Pinguy app is just as accurate with my iPhone and much easier to use.

#34 4 years ago

Pinguy app ,used it today worked awesome.

3 months later
    3 months later
    #36 4 years ago

Pinguy app needs a know level surface to calibrate it.

#37 4 years ago
    Quoted from Escapism:

Pinguy app needs a know level surface to calibrate it.

But it only needs it once. Find a concrete slab in good condition. Pretty good chance that is a level surface.

#38 4 years ago

this is actually pretty cool, I'm consistently move stuff around or people move it. It'd be awesome not to have to take the glass off every time you move a game to check the level. I'll have to check it out once the world returns to normal again.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tool-for-leveling-playfield?hl=dent00 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.