(Topic ID: 302953)

Took a little road trip yesterday and came back with..

By Md2020

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 27 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by egyptrus
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

BE2928E5-9732-4A43-B341-6F993C85F2B4 (resized).jpeg
pin2 (resized).JPG
pin1 (resized).JPG
house (resized).JPG

#1 2 years ago

Two NICE Williams System 11 games! What was originally supposed to be just a Big Guns, this gentleman ended up cutting me a two-fer deal for Cyclone as well!
Of course I picked them up in the middle of a storm with no covered trailer (never doing that again). The cyclone got a little wet on the bottom even though I wrapped the hell out of these with a gigantic tarp. I immediately unloaded them into my heated garage and got them off the trailer and dried them off best I could. Living by myself and all, I think I torqued my back a little bit getting them off the trailer.
The bottom edges of the cab got wet on both, but I'm hoping that by getting them off the trailer/off the floor and towling them off will prevent any major damage to the cabinets.

#3 2 years ago

With that being said, lol, are there any flippers nearby with an escalara (sp?) or a helping hand? I'm more than willing to make it worth your while (no, not that). I'm on the east hill in Kent. I want to get these machines out of my shop and into my house. Here's what the situation looks like. I attached a pic with an arrow to show that they need to go up a few stairs lol. I used to move machines by myself. I can't that anymore

house (resized).JPGhouse (resized).JPGpin1 (resized).JPGpin1 (resized).JPGpin2 (resized).JPGpin2 (resized).JPG
#4 2 years ago

I haven't got them set up, yet. Got to find a safe way to get them into the house

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from Md2020:

I haven't got them set up, yet. Got to find a safe way to get them into the house

Do you have another person and a dolly? Should be easy with a helper. Great score, can't go wrong with a twofer

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from Dr_Gonzo:

Do you have another person and a dolly? Should be easy with a helper.

No, that's kind of what I'm looking for. Long story, but I live a pretty far distance from friends.
I need to make some local friends, for sure!

#7 2 years ago

Found some “community outreach” laborers/movers on the internet. They’re sending out 2 guys to help me get these beasts in the house. Hopefully I’m not making a massive mistake. Update to follow…

#8 2 years ago

Looks like you landed a couple of great games! You should be OK on the cabinet bottoms by doing what you did, wiping them down and air drying too. Good thing you used the tarp like you did. Stretch wrapping the heck out of them first would be another bit of protection that could help. Anyway, enjoy your 2 system 11 classics!

#9 2 years ago

I just saw your post and I don't live too far away. I can help you this weekend to get them up your stairs and set up. I have a dolly and straps as well. Shoot me a PM if you still need help.

#10 2 years ago
Quoted from GSones:

I just saw your post and I don't live too far away. I can help you this weekend to get them up your stairs and set up. I have a dolly and straps as well. Shoot me a PM if you still need help.

That's what I love about this place lol. Thank you! The guys got em up into the house by straight up carrying them. Absolutely insane!
I've got them upright and on legs-just need to put together the backboxes (bg, speakers/display etc). I'm not sure I'll be able to get these going until Sunday.
I'm currently out of town and am going to reach out to the guy that has the Data East GnR. I have a feeling he may want too much for it, though.
It's been routed it's whole life and would be on route now if it weren't for covid. I think he may be selling off his entire fleet of machines. Going to reach out later and arrange to go see what all he has

#11 2 years ago

So, about this other machine....... I absolutely have the chance to pick up the Data East GnR (the game is in my top 5). I am going to look at it tomorrow. What I currently know is it's been on route it's entire life. The seller told me the DMD is probably missing segments, or some dead pixels. Also, the topper is missing. I looked at the game here for estimated value, but i think this circumstance here is a bit different. Assuming it's at least playable, what would you guys say would be a good offer? I have allocated 5000 telling myself that I shant go above that (I just picked up 2 games a couple days ago). Obviously, if its totally effed, I wouldn't want to cough up 5k either. I wanted to consult with you guys to try and piece this together before I go meet the guy tomorrow.

#12 2 years ago
Quoted from Md2020:

So, about this other machine....... I absolutely have the chance to pick up the Data East GnR (the game is in my top 5). I am going to look at it tomorrow. What I currently know is it's been on route it's entire life. The seller told me the DMD is probably missing segments, or some dead pixels. Also, the topper is missing. I looked at the game here for estimated value, but i think this circumstance here is a bit different. Assuming it's at least playable, what would you guys say would be a good offer? I have allocated 5000 telling myself that I shant go above that (I just picked up 2 games a couple days ago). Obviously, if its totally effed, I wouldn't want to cough up 5k either. I wanted to consult with you guys to try and piece this together before I go meet the guy tomorrow.

I sold mine about 5 years ago for 5k. So, your price, if you can get it, is pretty good.

I think there are SOOOO many other better pins out there for 5k. GNR DE wasn't that great. Fun, but just not something i'd keep long term, especially for the loot.

#13 2 years ago
Quoted from Md2020:

You don’t need to wait till they’re in the house lol. The point of the thread is to show off what you bought. Plenty of people show them in the trailer, in the car, at the shop, in the garage.
Anywhere.

It’s an exciting thread to see what people snag!

Quoted from Md2020:

Under no circumstances is a routed GNR worth more than 5k. You can buy restored ones for like 8 or 9 and the new JJP has brought prices down.

Offer him 3-4k. If he says no, walk away. When you’re leaving make it slow and deliberate.. If he doesn’t say anything make a final offer at 5k.

If he doesn’t take it or wants even a penny more, keep walking.
Once you show up with cash in hand, they almost always say yes when you’re leaving. Too tempted to let that money walk away.

#14 2 years ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Under no circumstances is a routed GNR worth more than 5k

Kinda a blanket statement there.

Mine was routed, and cleaned up incredibly.

5k is a pretty good price these days for a decent GNR.

#15 2 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

GNR DE wasn't that great.

I used to think this, but I changed my opinion after playing one with a Pinsound . I still have no intentions to buy one (I hate GnR ... makes me wonder why the Pinsound made such a difference to me ), but it isn't a bad game at all.

If I were forced to take GnR or a high priced snoozefest like Theater of Magic and not be allowed to sell it, I'd take GnR.

#16 2 years ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

You don’t need to wait till they’re in the house lol. The point of the thread is to show off what you bought. Plenty of people show them in the trailer, in the car, at the shop, in the garage.
Anywhere.
It’s an exciting thread to see what people snag!

Under no circumstances is a routed GNR worth more than 5k. You can buy restored ones for like 8 or 9 and the new JJP has brought prices down.
Offer him 3-4k. If he says no, walk away. When you’re leaving make it slow and deliberate.. If he doesn’t say anything make a final offer at 5k.
If he doesn’t take it or wants even a penny more, keep walking.
Once you show up with cash in hand, they almost always say yes when you’re leaving. Too tempted to let that money walk away.

Thank you for the emotional support lol. I'm having a hard time justifying this purchase to begin with, but this game has a lot of memory "historical significance" with me. It was incredibly ironic that 1 day after I bought these two sys 11s, my gf said this mutual friend of ours was selling his DE GNR. Life is strange for sure.
If it's "BEAT" beat, I'm going to have to force myself to walk away. Not that I can't fix it up myself, but it's the principle. I've always wanted this game in my house and it's now my opportunity has been handed to me-the day after I drop a bunch of cash for 2 machines.

#17 2 years ago
Quoted from Md2020:

Thank you for the emotional support lol. I'm having a hard time justifying this purchase to begin with, but this game has a lot of memory "historical significance" with me. It was incredibly ironic that 1 day after I bought these two sys 11s, my gf said this mutual friend of ours was selling his DE GNR. Life is strange for sure.
If it's "BEAT" beat, I'm going to have to force myself to walk away. Not that I can't fix it up myself, but it's the principle. I've always wanted this game in my house and it's now my opportunity has been handed to me-the day after I drop a bunch of cash for 2 machines.

Check that playfield on the GNR carefully, Axl hole, outlanes etc. No wear & working, good ramps. Cabinet art is available, routed I’d say $4500 depending on what you see.

#18 2 years ago
Quoted from Jrotten:

Check that playfield on the GNR carefully, Axl hole, outlanes etc. No wear & working, good ramps. Cabinet art is available, routed I’d say $4500 depending on what you see.

So if the pf is questionably worn, less than 4500? I guess if the pf is completely trashed I'll see it pretty much straight away. I'm hoping his pf waxing/maintenance was at least semi-regular

#19 2 years ago
Quoted from Md2020:

So if the pf is questionably worn, less than 4500? I guess if the pf is completely trashed I'll see it pretty much straight away. I'm hoping his pf waxing/maintenance was at least semi-regular

For sure, less than $4500 if worn. G-ramp entrance usually cracked. Magnets probably don’t work anymore being routed. Good luck.

#20 2 years ago
Quoted from Jrotten:

For sure, less than $4500 if worn. G-ramp entrance usually cracked. Magnets probably don’t work anymore being routed. Good luck.

Ended up walking away. Upon arrival, I immediately saw the "slash feature" on the cracked G ramp was not functional and the linkage was down in the cabinet. Obvious outgassing on the DMD. What really got me was the driver board..... Looks like a ton of heat all over. Browned out/blackened heat exposed chips- ESPECIALLY above the large "blue" resistors. Below those, I found a missing tiny resistor with wire just hanging off the board and heat/and or explosion damage? I knew right then that I wouldn't be able to even plug this thing in without possibly blowing something else up. The fellow wanted 5g's right off the bat. He has offered to get it working before I purchase it. Even if he gets it working, I'm not sure it's worth 5k. Full fucking shop out, AT LEAST. It's very filthy. Idk, as much as I read this back and realize I dodged a bullet, I still had a hard time walking away from it. I wonder if this would be one of those offer 3 as-is situations? He didn't seem to want it to walk out below 5, but he knows it needs a shitload of work. This guy is a friend/operator going through hard times, and I want to help him out, but this GnR is ROUGH

#21 2 years ago
Quoted from Md2020:

Ended up walking away. Upon arrival, I immediately saw the "slash feature" on the cracked G ramp was not functional and the linkage was down in the cabinet. Obvious outgassing on the DMD. What really got me was the driver board..... Looks like a ton of heat all over. Browned out/blackened heat exposed chips- ESPECIALLY above the large "blue" resistors. Below those, I found a missing tiny resistor with wire just hanging off the board and heat/and or explosion damage? I knew right then that I wouldn't be able to even plug this thing in without possibly blowing something else up. The fellow wanted 5g's right off the bat. He has offered to get it working before I purchase it. Even if he gets it working, I'm not sure it's worth 5k. Full fucking shop out, AT LEAST. It's very filthy. Idk, as much as I read this back and realize I dodged a bullet, I still had a hard time walking away from it. I wonder if this would be one of those offer 3 as-is situations? He didn't seem to want it to walk out below 5, but he knows it needs a shitload of work. This guy is a friend/operator going through hard times, and I want to help him out, but this GnR is ROUGH

Sounds like you made the right call,especially with electrical issues. Parts game the way you describe it. He has to be reasonable with the cost with all the issues. No way he gets close to 5k.

#22 2 years ago
Quoted from Md2020:

Sounds like you went with your gut and made a good decision. I wouldn't be surprised if this dude offers it to you for a lot less if he comes to his senses.

#23 2 years ago
Quoted from poppapin:

Sounds like you went with your gut and made a good decision. I wouldn't be surprised if this dude offers it to you for a lot less if he comes to his senses.

I don’t think he realizes the extent of work it needs. The wire hanging off where a resistor was supposed to be was a massive red flag. I’ve read that DE driver boards are prone to heat damage, but there were multiple parts of the board that were straight up black! I’m glad I had the wherewithal to see that and walk away. Idk. I’m going to stay in touch with him to see if he’ll take less. His shop is full and he’s getting older, so even moving this would be a lot of work. As is, I’m thinking even 3k seems too high given you can’t even plug it in as is.
He’s stated to me multiple times that it doesn’t need much work to get running. That may be true, but I wouldn’t even bring it into the house until I completely tore it down and shopped it.

#24 2 years ago

Oh and the obligatory

BE2928E5-9732-4A43-B341-6F993C85F2B4 (resized).jpegBE2928E5-9732-4A43-B341-6F993C85F2B4 (resized).jpeg
#25 2 years ago
Quoted from Md2020:

The wire hanging off where a resistor was supposed to be was a massive red flag. I’ve read that DE driver boards are prone to heat damage, but there were multiple parts of the board that were straight up black!

This is common on a lot of original boards that have had a lot of "on" hours. The lamp column driver section gets hot within 30 seconds of power on. I have seen boards that are black (the actual board) from excessive heat dissipation. To reduce the heat the MOSFET modification should be applied. It's a fairly trivial job for an experienced board technician.

Quoted from Md2020:

He’s stated to me multiple times that it doesn’t need much work to get running.

His definition of "running" may be different from your definition. If you can launch a ball and bat it around the playfield that counts as "running" - right?

#26 2 years ago
Quoted from DumbAss:

This is common on a lot of original boards that have had a lot of "on" hours. The lamp column driver section gets hot within 30 seconds of power on. I have seen boards that are black (the actual board) from excessive heat dissipation. To reduce the heat the MOSFET modification should be applied. It's a fairly trivial job for an experienced board technician.

His definition of "running" may be different from your definition. If you can launch a ball and bat it around the playfield that counts as "running" - right?

You're absolutely right on the definition of "running". I am no slouch when it comes to electrical/mechanical and I am not afraid of having to trace stuff out with the use of the schematics. What turns me off is the amount of money he wants for this machine. At best, if I didn't use it as a parts machine, this would be a long drawn out project. Once I started tearing it apart, I probably wouldn't stop until I got it 100% cleaned and functional.
I'm going to wait a few days and maybe offer 3k? I don't see the collectible factor of these coming down anytime in the near future.
Or, I could just say "fuck it" and throw a bit more down picking one off the pinside marketplace.
No matter how much I try to convince myself, I cannot justify 5k for a rode hard machine that you can't even plug in.

#27 2 years ago
Quoted from Md2020:

Ended up walking away.

It took me quite a while to learn that no deal is better than a bad deal. Even though it can be hard to walk away, you did the right thing.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine
Magazines/books
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
Machine - For Sale
Davenport, FL
$ 150.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop
Displays
$ 29.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp
Decorations
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Machine - For Sale
Scranton, PA
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball
Led
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
3,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Colorado Springs, CO
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball
Plastics
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp
Decorations
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Keller, TX
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/took-a-little-road-trip-yesterday-and-came-back-with?hl=famdockevin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.