(Topic ID: 157872)

Too nice too customize??

By DaveBuckholts

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

1462196679_zps6jp6turr[1]_(resized).jpg
    bg_(resized).jpg
    Aquarius_(resized).jpg
    s-l1600_(resized).jpg
    #1 8 years ago

I want to re-theme a pin. One that I am looking at has a semi-decent playfield but no backglass but is a working pin that needs some love. I'm sort of hesitant to strip an older playfield that some would restore, but like the seller stated to me, "What you do after you buy it is up to you." It's a Williams Aces and Kings machine.
    Thoughts?

s-l1600_(resized).jpgs-l1600_(resized).jpg

#2 8 years ago

Hmmm, seems to be wide-scale planking and wear. It isn't THAT nice. The artwork style just good, not awesome - so I would vote for a well done retheme.

#3 8 years ago

I'd restore it! It's an absolutely BEAUTIFUL pin!!!!

#4 8 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

Hmmm, seems to be wide-scale planking and wear. It isn't THAT nice. The artwork style just good, not awesome - so I would vote for a well done retheme.

Kinda my thoughts. But then.....

Quoted from AlexSMendes:

I'd restore it! It's an absolutely BEAUTIFUL pin!!!!

Kinda my thoughts too!

#5 8 years ago

Way too nice! There's a lot more trashed games out there, this is an okay example.

#6 8 years ago

That's OK for me. I'd leave it alone.

THIS is a trashed playfield:

Aquarius_(resized).jpgAquarius_(resized).jpg

#7 8 years ago
    Quoted from electricsquirrel:

That's OK for me. I'd leave it alone.
    THIS is a trashed playfield:

Aquarius_(resized).jpg

Still much better than some I've seen

I'd own it

#8 8 years ago

I'd retheme it.

Only exception would be if you know someone local with a worse playfield who wants to swap with you - then do that.
    But otherwise it wouldn't matter.
    It's a sad thing to do to a nice playfield, but there are not really many other options.
    The chances of finding a good backglass and being able to sell / restore this game are small.
    It probably won't be worth a lot anyway, and even less now without the backglass.
    So retheming it and giving it another life is one of the best things you can do, as else it'd just sit without the backglass until its rusted and gets parted..

#9 8 years ago

Some can always repro the BG.

#10 8 years ago

It's not a game you come across very often. Put it up for sale. Someone will want it. Lots of common junkers out there to customize.

#11 8 years ago
    Quoted from aeneas:

I'd retheme it.
    Only exception would be if you know someone local with a worse playfield who wants to swap with you - then do that.
    But otherwise it wouldn't matter.
    It's a sad thing to do to a nice playfield, but there are not really many other options.
    The chances of finding a good backglass and being able to sell / restore this game are small.
    It probably won't be worth a lot anyway, and even less now without the backglass.
    So retheming it and giving it another life is one of the best things you can do, as else it'd just sit without the backglass until its rusted and gets parted..

The whole money thing over the preservation thing is kind of sad.

I have an idea: Why not just make a new backglass for it, like with a new design? You can really name it anything you want, too. Would make a cool new project and add a lot of spice to a old game without doing any permanent changes.

#12 8 years ago

Its unlikely anyone will want it without the backglass, and unlikely a spare backglass will appear. You can try and list it for sale and see if anyone wants to "save" it first, if that'll spare you guilt. But anyone crying to save it should put their money where their mouth is.

Your pin, you do what you please with it.

bg_(resized).jpgbg_(resized).jpg

1 week later
    #13 7 years ago

So I decided against the Aces and Kings, mainly because I bought the Hot Line and a Spirit of '76 that popped up in TX. Now the Hot Line will be kept OG but the Spirit looks like it's getting the re-theme. There were 10,300 of those built.
    Now to get them back to GA so I can get started. The SO76 backglass has some issues and the PO says the playfield is decent. No good pics as they are still in TX.

1462196679_zps6jp6turr[1]_(resized).jpg1462196679_zps6jp6turr[1]_(resized).jpg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/too-nice-too-customize and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.