By nicknack66

2 months ago

Stats

• 7 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 months ago by nicknack66
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

Find

Search this topic for posts matching certain words or written by a specific Pinsider. Or both!

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 64 days ago

Is it bad to wax your playfield often? I am not talking about polishing with Novus 2, but just wiping the playfield clean with a microfiber cloth and then applying pure carnuba wax. I love a freshly waxed playfield (on my Diamond Plated and Non-Diamond Plated, so wax every several months (no less than 2 months, usually no more than 4 months), but is there a downside to this? Will the wax and/or my applying it (rubbing) impact the insert decals? Am I better off cutting the waxing down to every 6 months, or even just once a year? Thanks.

#2 64 days ago

If you're using a non-cleaner wax, I think you're safe. Cleaner waxes might have abrasives or other things in it that could damage mylar or other stuff over years of use. The only thing I'd be worried about it wax buildup, but if you can keep things clean and from getting gunked up, I don't think you'd be doing any damage. I recall vid saying something along the lines of applying more coats of wax will result in a thinner protective layer--counterintuitive, but makes sense, as a thicker coat of wax would pull up and wipe off easier than a single thin one.

#3 64 days ago

You might want to use naphtha first to make sure all the old wax is gone before applying new.

'every six months' isn't really a useful measurement. How often do you play? Is six months 100 plays? 500?

#4 64 days ago

Just like your momma said, "too much waxing will make you go blind!"

#5 64 days ago
    Quoted from nicknack66:

but just wiping the playfield clean with a microfiber cloth and then applying pure carnuba wax.

This should be fine. The Carnauba can be applied any time you notice the playfield being less lively, your choice really. As long as you are not slathering it on everything and that posts or playfield parts are clear of the wax residue. Also it depends on how many plays the pin is getting.

#6 64 days ago
    Quoted from markp99:

Just like your momma said, "too much waxing will make you go blind!"

Good one - got a laugh out of me.

#7 64 days ago
    Quoted from Darcy:

This should be fine. The Carnauba can be applied any time you notice the playfield being less lively, your choice really. As long as you are not slathering it on everything and that posts or playfield parts are clear of the wax residue. Also it depends on how many plays the pin is getting.

This is basically what I do. I don't check the game counts, but when the playfield gets less lively and/or I am having friends over to play and haven't just recently waxed the games, I usually wax them.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 5,699.00
    Pinball Machine
    Flip N Out Pinball
    $ 229.99
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 79.00
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 47.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 7,750.00
    Pinball Machine
    KingPin Games
    $ 79.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Cabinet - Toppers
    liorillusion
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 144.00
    Lighting - Backbox
    The MOD Couple
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 7.00
    Electronics
    APB Enterprises
    $ 19.95
    Apparel - Women
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 66.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lee's Parts
    $ 59.75
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 24.50
    $ 59.99
    Hardware
    Chroma Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Sign up for a Pinside account, or log in if you already have an account.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside