(Topic ID: 315364)

Too-many-pins - Covid Update - Back on the computer & feeling OK

By too-many-pins

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 1 year ago

Long story - as always - but I tested positive for Covid this afternoon and since I share my office with my wife and have to go through "family area" to get to that office I am going to be away from Pinside for the next few days. So if you try to contact me via PM or post something you expect a reply to from me please understand I am doing what I have to do because of this stupid Covid mess.

I had a "bad feeling" at the Allentown Show last week because people were really letting their guard down and too many people were getting "too close for comfort". As luck would have it I starting feeling like shit yesterday and today I tested positive for Covid. Now I have to self-quarantine for a few days to protect my wife & the rest of the family. Sadly we have like 20 people headed to the house later this week so it is going to be an interesting week for sure.

Anyway with the layout of the house my only choice is to stay out of the office and off the computer. So don't expect to hear from me for at least a week if you try to contact me about anything.

THANKS!
    Skip

#3 1 year ago

Get better soon! We had it in jan, first two days were rough but then it let up for us.

#4 1 year ago
    Quoted from Phat_Jay:

Get better soon! We had it in jan, first two days were rough but then it let up for us.

Not feeling super bad but "withdraw" for the computer is likely to be harder on me than the Covid. I am typically online about 12 hours a day so almost a week of being away from the computer is going to be rough. We are "old school" and only do online for our desktop computer. No "smart phone" - tablet - or anything like that. So it will be a huge adjustment not being online for a week.

#6 1 year ago
    Quoted from tomdrum:

Get well Skip!

THANKS! I am not too worried about having Covid (or being sick) but not being able to use the computer for a week is really going to SUCK! Maybe it is time to buy a laptop so I can use that in my self quarantine area? I'll have to try and sell Barb on that idea in the morning.

For now I will not be around much for about a week once Barb deep cleans the office tomorrow. So I'll check Pinside in the AM and that will be it until we have to house to ourselves again in about a week.

#7 1 year ago
    Quoted from too-many-pins:

THANKS! I am not too worried about having Covid (or being sick) but not being able to use the computer for a week is really going to SUCK! Maybe it is time to buy a laptop so I can use that in my self quarantine area? I'll have to try and sell Barb on that idea in the morning.
    For now I will not be around much for about a week once Barb deep cleans the office tomorrow. So I'll check Pinside in the AM and that will be it until we have to house to ourselves again in about a week.

Yea get well soon and back too the computer

#9 1 year ago

I hope that you make it through fine and that you aren't bothered too much with symptoms.

THANKS! I am not too worried about having Covid (or being sick) but not being able to use the computer for a week is really going to SUCK!

Assuming you have wifi, just order a cheap tablet on amazon. You can get a decent tablet for around $200 these days.

8.0" screen for $200: https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Lightweight-Android-Long-Lasting-Battery/dp/B08QQTQNDC/
    10.5" screen for $219: https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Android-Long-Lasting-Expandable-Exclusive/dp/B09N3YS882/

Durable case with a swiveling vertical/horizontal stand, hand strap, and shoulder strap:

8.0" tablet: https://www.amazon.com/Protector-Herize-Shockproof-Protective-Shoulder/dp/B0817BMGX4/
    10.5" tablet: https://www.amazon.com/SEYMAC-stock-Galaxy-10-5-SM-X200/dp/B09Q2ZBMKW/

Matte screen protectors (helps reduce reflections & glare):
    8.0": https://www.amazon.com/IQShield-Protector-Compatible-Anti-Glare-Anti-Bubble/dp/B07YP1QPY7/
    10.5": https://www.amazon.com/IQShield-Protector-Compatible-Anti-Glare-Anti-Bubble/dp/B09P2R2N7K/

Bluetooth keyboard (one of many available options):
    https://www.amazon.com/Arteck-Ultra-Slim-Bluetooth-Compatible-Including/dp/B07PFCRWG9/

So, for around $300 total, you can basically substitute a desktop PC for general web browsing.

Also, I'd suggest installing firefox, and then the extensions ublock origin and privacy badger to block ads. Chrome, unfortunately, does not allow ad blocking extensions on android.

#10 1 year ago

I couldn't do it! I really tried but when I am home I basically need to be able to get online to be productive. So we changed over to "plan B" & I kicked Barb out of the office so I can use it. So I'll be online more but she will need me to let her know if anything comes in for her.

Hopefully this works out better!

I know I am "weak" and should be able to stay off the computer but basically 100% of my income comes from online transactions and I can't sit home feeling like shit - watching TV and not making any money. So instead I'll be able to do my eBay stuff like normal and she will just be working around me. I'll still be feeling like shit but at least I'll be making some money while I am stuck at home with this stupid Covid thing.

I guess the "good news" is I keep feeling a little better each day. That is also why I am getting restless I guess.

#12 1 year ago

Feel better and rest assured you didn't get it at Allentown. You would have shown symptoms well before now. We'll see you back here when you're fully recovered!

#13 1 year ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Feel better and rest assured you didn't get it at Allentown. You would have shown symptoms well before now. We'll see you back here when you're fully recovered!

I am 100% sure it came home with me from Allentown because I had no contact with anyone but family between the show and getting sick. I came home form the show exhausted and pretty much was working around the house or over at one of my storage units (by myself) all week after the show. And since my son & daughter-in-law are both working from home (and we rarely see them anyway) they were not in contact with anyone either. (No grandkids - no one here to visit - etc just the 4 of us all at home all week before I got sick and I think I talked to my son & daughter-in-law twice all week that week).

It really doesn't matter how or where I got it my main concern at this point is to not give it to anyone else. So I am trying to do my best to stay away from the rest of the family.

Each day I am feeling a little better and I have been getting a good bit of work done in the basement & garage so it really hasn't been all that bad. Feel like shit for an hour or two then feel OK for a couple hours. It kind of drives me crazy going from feeling OK to felling like shit 4 or 5 times a day but I guess it is better than feeling like shit all of the time.

#14 1 year ago

My "worst fear" has come - both my wife & my son now are testing positive for Covid and I'll be on the "shit list" with my daughter-in-law because of this stupid Covid mess.

My daughter-in-law has a family wedding this weekend and has around 20 people headed to the house the day after the wedding. Plus her parents, and other family members are going to be staying here at the house for the next few days starting later today.

So now we have to figure out how to keep my son away from a half a dozen people staying in the same house with us that have not had Covid. Worse yet is one of the "family members" staying here for a few days is in daughter-in-laws sister who flew in from Hawaii for this wedding. She has to fly home Monday and has not had Covid yet so if she get it that could really make things a mess.

What a PITA I have become for everyone!

#15 1 year ago

My "worst fear" has come - both my wife & my son now are testing positive for Covid and I'll be on the "shit list" with my daughter-in-law because of this stupid Covid mess.
    My daughter-in-law has a family wedding this weekend and has around 20 people headed to the house the day after the wedding. Plus her parents, and other family members are going to be staying here at the house for the next few days starting later today.
    So now we have to figure out how to keep my son away from a half a dozen people staying in the same house with us that have not had Covid. Worse yet is one of the "family members" staying here for a few days is in daughter-in-laws sister who flew in from Hawaii for this wedding. She has to fly home Monday and has not had Covid yet so if she get it that could really make things a mess.
    What a PITA I have become for everyone!

Simple: you can not have them stay at the house. They will have to get a hotel or something else. However, if they are in the house, they are at risk for contracting it.

#16 1 year ago
    Quoted from DBLM:

Simple: you can not have them stay at the house. They will have to get a hotel or something else. However, if they are in the house, they are at risk for contracting it.

Problem is going to be the fact that this is "all my fault"

My daughter-in-law is Italian and stuff like these family weddings are a big thing for their family. So they all had 'huge plans" for this weekend and now "because of me" everything is going to be turned upside down.

When I decided to do Pinfest I knew there was a risk of coming home with Covid but I never thought about the timing of the wedding after the show and how I could create the "perfect storm" to screw up things for a lot of people. In life I try my best to not have my actions impact others but somehow I really messed this one up!

#17 1 year ago

Do not blame yourself or let them guilt you! It is not your fault!

I agree, it's on them to get a plan B, aire bnb or something with that many people would not be that expensive.
    Totally irresponsible of them to come and blame you and make you be careful while they expose themselves to the virus.
    Hope they do the right thing and find another option!

#18 1 year ago

Isn't it easier for Skip to go to a hotel rather than shipping off his entire angry Italian family to one?

#19 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Isn't it easier for Skip to go to a hotel rather than shipping off his entire angry Italian family to one?

both my wife & my son now are testing positive for Covid

Too late for that now, it seems.

#20 1 year ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Too late for that now, it seems.

When I first started with Covid I had thought about just "bailing out" and getting out of here for a few days but I realized both Wayne & Barb had already been around me enough that they were likely going to end up with it anyway.

Thankfully this house has a pretty unique design where our in-law area is on one end and the main house is at the other end and we are separated by a laundry room & the garage. The basement stairs are between the laundry room & the garage and we have our own HVAC system (so we are not sharing A/C vents with the main house).

So Wayne has relocated to the basement for a few days and will be hanging out down here with me. Barb will be up and down between the in-law area and the basement but will not need to go anywhere near the main house. So all should be OK but there will still be some risk. So as far as "risk" of spread to people on the other side of the house this place is likely much better than most people have it when living in an apartment or townhouse complex.

We will do all we can to keep my daughter-in-laws family safe and that is about all I can control.

I still feel bad this happened and I know I'll be hearing about it for the next few months. But on a positive note my daughter-in-law had Covid "first" a few weeks ago after attending a pre wedding party for the same wedding that is happening this weekend. The groom and several others also had Covid from that party. So this wedding has officially been named the Covid event of the year for her family!

#21 1 year ago

Get well soon Skip.
    Sounds like terrible timing but what can you do?
    Maybe good timing if you don’t like to interact with company too much.
    My oldest son has had it twice and I am pretty sure my wife had it.
    Despite that the rest of us did not get it so it’s not an automatic that it will be a problem for everyone in the household just have to be cautious.
    The main problem with anything contagious is that by the time you know you have it it’s already too late so it’s not your fault it’s just how things go.

#22 1 year ago

You also have to stop beating yourself up about Pinfest. The window of time from infection to symptoms is about 2 days or so. No way you got it at Pinfest and just getting it now. I currently have Covid that showed up Saturday and got it from an event I was at on Thursday. You did not ruin this weekend. Sometimes, stuff just happens.

#23 1 year ago
    Quoted from DBLM:

You also have to stop beating yourself up about Pinfest. The window of time from infection to symptoms is about 2 days or so. No way you got it at Pinfest and just getting it now. I currently have Covid that showers up Saturday and got it from an event I was at on Thursday. You did not ruin this weekend. Sometimes, stuff just happens.

I actually came home from Pinfest exhausted and about 1/2 sick so I don't know exactly when the Covid actually started. I went basically a full week not feeling well - just figuring I was run down after the show - before I did the self test. Looking back I would say I likely started with Covid by the Monday or Tuesday after the show but I can't say for sure because I didn't test sooner.

All I know 100% for sure that this point is I am starting to fell better health wise and feeling a lot worse about things now that both Barb & Wayne have it. I realize some of this was outside of my control but I still take responsibility for it and really wish I would have done things differently at the show and wore a mask like I should have been doing. When I got their on Thursday all I wanted to do was get set up and then relax a little since I had a rough week before the show. I got "lax or lazy" and didn't feel like dealing with mask and now my wife & son are paying the price for my actions and that is really upsetting to me.

Right now all I can do is hope things go OK for both of them and this doesn't get passed on to anyone else.

Please understand I am in no way blaming the show for me getting sick. I am blaming myself - I should have known better but sometimes we take unnecessary chances and get caught and that is what happened to me at the show. TOTALLY my fault!

#24 1 year ago

I hope everyone gets better soon Skip! I just can't believe I didn’t get the Covid at Allentown. I was around at least 3 people now that turned up positive after the show. Hell, we were in the same van together and you helped me load the games in my trailer. I guess I'm really lucky!
    Joe

#25 1 year ago

Rest and Fluids.....Im on Week 3 with the Stupid Virus.
    Watch Lungs and Oxygen Levels.

Hope everyone gets better soon.

#26 1 year ago

I actually came home from Pinfest exhausted and about 1/2 sick so I don't know exactly when the Covid actually started. I went basically a full week not feeling well - just figuring I was run down after the show - before I did the self test. Looking back I would say I likely started with Covid by the Monday or Tuesday after the show but I can't say for sure because I didn't test sooner.
    All I know 100% for sure that this point is I am starting to fell better health wise and feeling a lot worse about things now that both Barb & Wayne have it. I realize some of this was outside of my control but I still take responsibility for it and really wish I would have done things differently at the show and wore a mask like I should have been doing. When I got their on Thursday all I wanted to do was get set up and then relax a little since I had a rough week before the show. I got "lax or lazy" and didn't feel like dealing with mask and now my wife & son are paying the price for my actions and that is really upsetting to me.
    Right now all I can do is hope things go OK for both of them and this doesn't get passed on to anyone else.
    Please understand I am in no way blaming the show for me getting sick. I am blaming myself - I should have known better but sometimes we take unnecessary chances and get caught and that is what happened to me at the show. TOTALLY my fault!

Damn near everyone is getting it. I'm currently at home for a week because I finally caught it. The girlfriend was feeling like crap and tested positive. I've been feeling like having allergies (get them in the spring) and a tad run down. So took a test after hers and sure as hell, two pink lines. Don't beat yourself up, it seems to be spreading quite a bit.

#27 1 year ago

Member of the two-stripe club here as well. Everyone stay safe out there; we're not out of the woods yet.

#28 1 year ago

I have always figured it wasn't a matter (or question) of if you were going to end up with Covid is was more a matter of when. In the end I think 100% of society will end up with Covid at least once but thankfully between the vaccines and time at least most cases are not nearly as bad as they were two years ago.

I am not upset I got it - in fact I am kind of glad to have it crossed off the list. What upset me is the timing because of the stuff going on with my daughter-in-laws family. But sometimes things get screwed up in life and this time I just happened to be the one that put the screws to some of the activities they had planned.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/too-many-pins-will-be-gone-for-a-while-in-case-you-are-trying-to-pm-me?hl=damen and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.