• Latest reply 5 years ago by wdennie
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DB7BB519-424B-4324-BA06-09E25B7AD58D (resized).jpeg
#1 5 years ago

Hey everyone. I have a DE Star Wars. I love this game and I’ve completely converted it to LED. I’ve also added ColorDMD and a large LED light strip that goes underneath the cabinet and it ties into one of the connectors on the board. I’ve recently replaced the factory speakers with new speakers that meet the correct specs.

I now have a fairly noticeable hum/crackle in the speakers especially when the game is in play. Not so much when in attract mode. I’m wondering if I’m just pushing the limits of the power supply and I need an external supply to power some of these mods.

Not sure where to start. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

DB7BB519-424B-4324-BA06-09E25B7AD58D (resized).jpegDB7BB519-424B-4324-BA06-09E25B7AD58D (resized).jpeg
#2 5 years ago

Well I’d start by unplugging mods. The LED light strip first. Then the DMD. Really I’d just be trying to narrow down the issue by taking suspects out. I realize you don’t want to take the LEDs out, so disconnect the entire GI.

The thing to keep in mind is that it could be the sound board itself, or power, or speaker cable routing. So keep an open mind and you will find it faster.

#3 5 years ago

Data East are known to hum. My DESW hummed with and without many of the same mods.

Some people suggest plastic spacers between the soundboard and the cabinet.

What voltage is your LED strip and where exactly are you connecting it?

A PinSound board got rid of all the hum in my DE LW3, but that's an expensive fix

#4 5 years ago

add a extra power supply, fairly cheap for the sound board, this will eliminate any hum as well.

#5 5 years ago

Thanks guys. Removing the led strip that goes under the cabinet helped. Does anyone recommend a good tutorial on how to do the power supply addition for Data East? Thanks

#6 5 years ago

search here for data east audio hum, it has a link to a power supply being sold on e-bay, its like 14 dollars and easy to install.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

€ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 17.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Denver, CO
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/too-many-mods-causing-me-sound-issues and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.