Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by wdennie
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

DB7BB519-424B-4324-BA06-09E25B7AD58D (resized).jpeg

#1 1 year ago

Hey everyone. I have a DE Star Wars. I love this game and I’ve completely converted it to LED. I’ve also added ColorDMD and a large LED light strip that goes underneath the cabinet and it ties into one of the connectors on the board. I’ve recently replaced the factory speakers with new speakers that meet the correct specs.

I now have a fairly noticeable hum/crackle in the speakers especially when the game is in play. Not so much when in attract mode. I’m wondering if I’m just pushing the limits of the power supply and I need an external supply to power some of these mods.

Not sure where to start. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

DB7BB519-424B-4324-BA06-09E25B7AD58D (resized).jpeg
#2 1 year ago

Well I’d start by unplugging mods. The LED light strip first. Then the DMD. Really I’d just be trying to narrow down the issue by taking suspects out. I realize you don’t want to take the LEDs out, so disconnect the entire GI.

The thing to keep in mind is that it could be the sound board itself, or power, or speaker cable routing. So keep an open mind and you will find it faster.

#3 1 year ago

Data East are known to hum. My DESW hummed with and without many of the same mods.

Some people suggest plastic spacers between the soundboard and the cabinet.

What voltage is your LED strip and where exactly are you connecting it?

A PinSound board got rid of all the hum in my DE LW3, but that's an expensive fix

#4 1 year ago

add a extra power supply, fairly cheap for the sound board, this will eliminate any hum as well.

#5 1 year ago

Thanks guys. Removing the led strip that goes under the cabinet helped. Does anyone recommend a good tutorial on how to do the power supply addition for Data East? Thanks

#6 1 year ago

search here for data east audio hum, it has a link to a power supply being sold on e-bay, its like 14 dollars and easy to install.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 14.50
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Boards
PinSound

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside