7 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

kt-wstep-01_(resized).jpg
#1 7 years ago

Have a Williams' Aztec which has developed an odd behavior...

I can manually add 3 credits by manually pushing the credit switch at the coin door, one push 3 credits (max is 24 credits), these (credits) perfectly registered at the credit wheel. But, when I start a game the game will take from 3 to 8 credits randomly at a time for 1 game, I am thinking that I have a weak spring at the credit wheel? perhaps?

Any idea will be greatly appreciated!

#2 7 years ago

Hi uj
are these 3 to 8 credits stepped down (AAA) at ONE time - within a quarter of a second ? OR: (when starting a game) BBB: ONE step down - but then faulty: after some time another step down - after a some time: another step and so on ?

If You have BBB: we must look in the schema.
If You have AAA: the spring (wound around the axis) is TOO tight.

Stepping down: the force to turn the wheel comes from the spring (wound around the axis).
Stepping up: the Step-up plunger is pulled (magnetic force) --- the Coil quits pulling: NOW the spring "pulling back the step-up-plunger" does the work / step-up. Greetings Rolf

#3 7 years ago

Thanks rofl, is AAA, after a few more games, yes sometimes will be one credit taken pero game, sometimes 3, 5 or even more credits taken per game. So based on you assumption, should I loose the spring a bit?

Thanks again!

#4 7 years ago

Hi uj
when having the "AAA"- I'd say: The spring around the axis is way too tight. Look here: http://www.planetarypinball.com/reference/partsmanuals/WMS_Parts_1969/index.html#/14/zoomed --- the gear (wheel) and some kind of a "hook" and an arrow from text "10A-244". Hidden by the two stretched springs there is another "kind of a hook" --- when the pin wants to step down ONE step: These two hooks are kind of "wiggled" so the wheel does ony step down the wanted step. See the "spring wound around the axis" (?) When this spring is way too tight: brutal / rude force --- the delicate wiggling cannot take place.

Again: To step up the Unit: The coil on the right of the picture pulls-in - moves an arm - coil lets go - spring 10A-228 pulls the arm back and the wheel is stepped-up one step.
The force / energy to step down the Unit: The spring wound around the axis.
This spring has ONLY to be tight enough to do the step "Position-1-Replays down to Position-Zero-Replays". By stepping up more and more replays: The spring wound around the axis is getten tightened - to step down from (lets say) Position-19 down to position-18: There is more energy in the spring than when the unit has to do the step "1 down to Zero".

Manually step the Unit down to position-1 (or -2 or -3) --- then unhook the spring wound around the axis - turn it around to un-tighten --- try - un-tighten some more turn(s) --- only needed: Enough tension in the spring to securely step pos-1 down to pos-Zero. Greetings Rolf

#5 7 years ago

Awesome, so I guess my best option in this case is to replace all the springs, altogether, no?

~ja

kt-wstep-01_(resized).jpgkt-wstep-01_(resized).jpg

#6 7 years ago

Hi ~ja
my theory is "The spring wound around the axis is way too tight", JPG in post-5: bottom-left the "new spring" then "upwards rightbound" an arrow - the axis - further "upwards rightbound" --- see the "end of the spring hooked-in on a a solid place": Unhook there and HOLD THE SPRING / END of the spring. Carefully let the spring make a turn "un-tightening" - then hook-in again.

You may do this SEVERAL times --- write down "how many turns You have loosened".
You can loosen - loosen - loosen - it only has to be enough "tension in the spring" to securely do "Step pos-1 down to pos-Zero". Greetings Rolf

1 month later
#7 7 years ago
Quoted from rolf_martin_062:

Hi ~ja
my theory is "The spring wound around the axis is way too tight", JPG in post-5: bottom-left the "new spring" then "upwards rightbound" an arrow - the axis - further "upwards rightbound" --- see the "end of the spring hooked-in on a a solid place": Unhook there and HOLD THE SPRING / END of the spring. Carefully let the spring make a turn "un-tightening" - then hook-in again.
You may do this SEVERAL times --- write down "how many turns You have loosened".
You can loosen - loosen - loosen - it only has to be enough "tension in the spring" to securely do "Step pos-1 down to pos-Zero". Greetings Rolf

Fixed! following your suggestion... case closed!

Thanks you!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Saint Petersburg, FL
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/too-many-credits-for-a-game and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.