New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 273288)

Too hot or not?

By ravve

4 months ago

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by jake35
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 4 months ago

Just bought 2 pinball machines and these will be laying in a car with 35 degrees outside, for about 3 weeks!
    The car windows are partly opened and car is staying in the shadow. Will that do any harm to the machines?

#2 4 months ago

I don’t think it will be an issue. Maybe throw something over them to keep them out of direct sunlight to minimize fading.

#3 4 months ago

You should be OK, though of course the temperature in the car will likely exceed 35 by 5 to 10 degrees. The danger is not the electronics or connectors (which will get a lot hotter than that in use) but the plastics/ramps etc., but avoiding direct sun is probably enough of a precaution. You might consider taking the playfield glass off just to ensure less heat build-up, but again, if in the shade probably fine.

#4 4 months ago

In a car, it will be much hotter than the outdoor temperature. The car will act like a greenhouse.

Plus, you will have the daily temperature swings of night and day. And variable humidity.

It could possibly warp or plank the wood, and possiblly cause backglasses to delaminate and flake apart.

Personally, I wouldn't do it.

#5 4 months ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

In a car, it will be much hotter than the outdoor temperature. The car will act like a greenhouse.
    Plus, you will have the daily temperature swings of night and day.
    It could possibly warp or plank the wood, and possiblly cause backglasses to delaminate and flake apart.
    Personally, I wouldn't do it.

i second this. heat causes things to expand, then they'll contract when they finally cool. you'll at bare minimum need to go in and check tightness of all the posts, mechs and screws.

#6 4 months ago

I PLAYED a MM sitting in a non climate controlled garage when it was -35 outside about 15 years ago. It's sitting in my basement now and plays just fine. Even made it through an MGC without breakdowns. You'll be fine.

Maybe pull the BG if you can if it's an older game

#7 4 months ago

LMAO, everyone has an opinion.

#8 4 months ago

Sooo... seems like i will have to wait and see (i am in a different country than the pins, i have talked to seller and he says that windows are open and car in shadow).

If anyone KNOWS the answer (perhaps u tried yourself) please let me know. Everything else is just guesses i suppose

#9 4 months ago

35 degrees Celcius? Pretty damn hot at 95F. I hope the game is covered so the light is not going through the playfield glass. It can warp the plastic and discolor the playfield.

#10 4 months ago

What about any biological threats?

I’ve had mice get into my car (no pins inside a car, of course) through the ventilation system with all windows up. The little angels build nests, chew on everything they can, etc.

And with the windows partially open, what about insect concerns in the area like termites, etc.?

#11 4 months ago

That sounds bad for the machines. What strange logistics this deal is where you buy machines that then sit in a car for weeks. You should not buy them until you are ready to haul them away and inspect thoroughly first. But I guess too late for that.

#12 4 months ago

Surface temperatures in the car can reach over 65 degrees Celsius in a short period of time. Cracking the window doesn't help that, keeping the vehicle in the shade does. I would definitely remove the backglass if it's not a translite, and cover the pin with a light colored sheet or blanket to help protect the plastics some from potential warping. I would also not bring the pin into an air conditioned space immediately if possibly. Rapid temperature change is what can cause warping.

#13 4 months ago

backglasses will peel and crack ink in super hot or super cold temps. If someone triple thicked them, then they definitely will not survive.

#14 4 months ago

don't do it bro...

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 159.00
    £ 50.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Sillyoldelf Mods
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 1,099.00
    $ 40.00
    Lighting - Other
    Funhouse Custom Lamp Out of stock
    Professor Pinball
    $ 95.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 369.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 29.90
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 30.00
    Playfield - Other
    YouBentMyWookie
    $ 96.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 16.95
    Playfield - Protection
    ULEKstore
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Other
    Hookedonpinball.com
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 60.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Mods for your pinballs
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 79.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Arcade Upkeep
    $ 125.00
    $ 139.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 27.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Rocket City Pinball
    Various Other Swag
    Shoot Again Pinball
    € 159.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    FlipperLED
    $ 429.00
    Playfield - Other
    86Pixels
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside