DSC03136.JPG
DSC03355.JPG
DSC03411.JPG
DSC03363.JPG
DSC03253.JPG
DSC03400.JPG
DSC03333.JPG
DSC03338.JPG
There are 82 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 12 years ago

Yeah, she's pretty - but holy cow, she could sure use a bath. I saw her pop up on Craig's list while at work today. After a few emails/texts, and then talking to the owner's wife on the phone, I made the hour drive to check her out.

The backglass looks perfect, but I haven't seen the back of it yet to be sure. The playfield is perhaps one of the dirtiest I've ever seen - but it doesn't seem to have any wear spots. The owner didn't have the key, so I don't even know if it has the boards in it, but ...the price was too good to pass up. It was listed for $500. After looking it over, I offered $250, and they accepted.

...I wasn't looking for another pin, but....the impulse was too strong. I think I can shine it up, and bring it back to life. That is, after I finish my Firepower playfield swap. ...but that's another thread. For now, enjoy a few pics of this very dirty Genie.

DSC03124.JPGDSC03124.JPG DSC03155.JPGDSC03155.JPG DSC03146.JPGDSC03146.JPG DSC03143.JPGDSC03143.JPG

#2 12 years ago

Nice pick-up,I like me some Genie.

#3 12 years ago

Great find, Genie is a fun game.

#4 12 years ago

I saw that on CL. I cant believe they wanted 500 for that lol. Great score congrats!

#5 12 years ago

Nice artwork - i'm jealous !

#6 12 years ago

$250 sounds like a steal. That thing will clean up NICE!!! Congrats.
(NOTE: I see a lot of dirt, grime, and cob-webs...not a much wear.) I do like the top right PF "foil-blocker" mod that was included.

#7 12 years ago
Quoted from dnhayden:

$250 sounds like a steal. That thing will clean up NICE!!! Congrats.
(NOTE: I see a lot of dirt, grime, and cob-webs...not a much wear.) I do like the top right PF "foil-blocker" mod that was included.

LOL - gotta love the duct tape mod. Yeah, I'm happy with the deal, and anxious to start working on it. I do think the playfield will clean up very nicely - the inserts are not cupped at all, and yeah - I didn't see any bad wear. The coin door is also in surprisingly good shape, and everything looks clean underneath the playfield. ...good motivation for me to finish my Firepower playfield swap so I can start workin' on the Genie.

#8 12 years ago

That spider web mod would look great on Scared Stiff!

#9 12 years ago

good for you - bet it will clean up nice

#10 12 years ago

I picked up a sexy, dirty Genie today, too (heres pix) Love the way she calls me 'Master!"

Jeanniebottle9.jpgJeanniebottle9.jpg

#11 12 years ago

PM me if you have any questions as you go through the restoring process. I have one that has been in the family for years and is all original. I did add LEDs a few months ago which really bring out the colors.

DSC01643.JPGDSC01643.JPG

#13 12 years ago

Ahh, the old Duct Tape in the kickout hole. I've bought one like that before! Genie is my old lady's favorite game. She played a really nice one art Cal Extreme and kind of fell in love with it. We probably should have taken it home at $600.

#14 12 years ago

totally worth $250

#15 12 years ago

Great deal on one of Gottleib's best system 1s, if not the best system 1 ever. however, be prepared for a lot of work.. first order of business is probably to re-pin all the connectors.. if any of the boards are out, pick up the PI-X4 if you can find one.

#16 12 years ago

How would you clean those plastics??

#17 12 years ago

Great deal. Ive seen one locally they have been asking 500 for it. This one has a pascal board in it. It is a system one machine and if you dont have clays guides give a shout out in a pm. If you do start reading.

#19 12 years ago
Quoted from BillinIndiana:

How would you clean those plastics

My superman looked the same way when i got it. I used regular old windex on them and it worked pretty good. Did not remove any of the silk screen. But use at your own discretion.

#20 12 years ago

Whats gonna be a pain in the ass is to remove the duct tape without lifting any of the pf paint! Maybe some goo gone and alot of time.

#21 12 years ago

Genie Is such a good Old Pinball.. I have one on the floor and I keep finding my self playing it.. Had a REALLY weird problem when we got her but now she runs like a champ. Its not often I hear my most Senior tech Cussing a game out, but this one did it to him. He did win though in the end.

I think once you get it all cleaned up you are going to love her!

#22 12 years ago

Worth every penny, keep us updated with pics

#23 12 years ago
Quoted from at_t_2d:

PM me if you have any questions

Thanks! ...and that's a beautiful Genie you have. I'll be happy if I can get mine to look anything close to that.

Quoted from PinballHelp:

pick up the PI-X4 if you can find one

Excellent suggestion! I emailed Pascal yesterday - hope he still has some avilable.

Quoted from BillinIndiana:

How would you clean those plastics??

I'm gonna put the plastics, and all the star posts in the dishwasher (no heated dry). I read somewhere about his trick - tried it before on an old Bally Black Jack and it worked surprisingly well. It didn't get rid of the yellowing 100%, but was a lot easier than trying to clean everything by hand.

Quoted from Shane300zx:

if you dont have clays guides give a shout out in a pm

I got it, and reading through the guide is what has prompting me to contact Pascal Who knows, perhaps all the boards are perfect and I won't have to do anything. HAHAHA - right. I still haven't opened the backbox yet. I'm using the lure of Genie to make me finish my Firepower playfield swap.

Quoted from Gexchange:

Its not often I hear my most Senior tech Cussing a game out, but this one did it to him.

OK, this scares me.

Quoted from OrochiLeona:

Worth every penny, keep us updated with pics

Will do! ...many thanks for all the encouragement and offers of help - Pinside ROCKS!

#24 12 years ago

Great find, she'll be a real beauty when your done giving her a good scrub!

#25 12 years ago

She'll scrub up lovely I'm sure!! Great find!! It certainly looks like a fun machine, and a true widebody!! One on my wishlist!

#26 12 years ago
Quoted from SunKing:

I still haven't opened the backbox yet.

I'd crack that baby open ASAP... you never know, the battery might be leaking right now and just about to cause terminal damage to the CPU, always best to whip 'em out ASAP... I normally do it at the sellers place, but if you couldn't open the head there, then clearly this wansn't an option...

#27 12 years ago
Quoted from pinballslave:

I'd crack that baby open ASAP... you never know, the battery might be leaking right now and just about to cause terminal damage to the CPU, always best to whip 'em out ASAP...

Normally, I'd do the same. But I've promised myself I won't touch the Genie until my Firepower playfield swap is done. Anyway, it looks like it hasn't been played/touched in MANY years - so I'm certain the boards are fried by now. Also, after reading Clay's repair guides - I've made the executive decision to just go ahead and get Pascal's PI-1 X4 replacement board (http://www.flippp.com/epi1x4.html - thanks again for the recommendation PinballHelp). I'm just not that confident in my PCP repair skills, and really don't have a ton of spare time on my hands to mess with it. I can repair connections and most everything else - so with the replacement boards, I should be able to hit the ground running.

#28 12 years ago

Please post pics of your resto clean

#29 12 years ago
Quoted from Shane300zx:

Great deal. Ive seen one locally they have been asking 500 for it. This one has a pascal board in it. It is a system one machine and if you dont have clays guides give a shout out in a pm. If you do start reading.

Shane300zx.... im interested in that genie pinball machine and if you are not looking into that machine it would be greatly appreciated if you could leave some sort of contact info. Email, phone, etc. Thank You

#30 12 years ago
Quoted from SunKing:

I've made the executive decision to just go ahead and get Pascal's PI-1 X4 replacement board (http://www.flippp.com/epi1x4.html - thanks again for the recommendation PinballHelp).

I have used several of the PI-1 X 4 and the regular Pasdcal CPU and they are both fantastic PCBs. They both add so much to the System 1 games and make them bulletproof.

However you need to check all the connectors and contacts that go to the CPU, Driver and Display PCBs. I have restored many System 1 games and corroded contacts in the connectors is always an issue. Usually it is mostly the connectors that go to the CPU and the harness that goes from the CPU to the Driver PCB. If you are using the PI - 1 X 4 PCB there is no need for the CPU to Driver harness.
Again make sure you check out all the connectors and replace the corroded or crudded contacts.

#31 12 years ago
Quoted from SunKing:

I've made the executive decision to just go ahead and get Pascal's PI-1 X4 replacement board (http://www.flippp.com/epi1x4.html - thanks again for the recommendation PinballHelp). I'm just not that confident in my PCP repair skills, and really don't have a ton of spare time on my hands to mess with it.

I seriously considered going that route myself to get my sys1/80 games going, but opted to send the original boards to some French experts (one for the sys1 and another guy for the sys 80s) for them to get them going... typically cost me about $80/board... any I have problems with when I eventually install them and try and get the games going (of that ever happens!!) I'll probably get board(s) from Pascal... It was very tempting to just get them all from Pascal though, that's for sure! I'm sure you've made the right choice!! I'd be tempted to see how bad the board is when you look inside the head first though... it might be like new and work perfectly

#32 12 years ago

Well, the Firepower playfield swap is finished - so I cracked open the dirty Genie. Except for some fading of the red, the backglass is nearly perfect. I'm guessing it's never been removed from the game.

DSC03167.JPGDSC03167.JPG DSC03160.JPGDSC03160.JPG DSC03177.JPGDSC03177.JPG

#33 12 years ago

As suspected, the MPU is toast - the battery has corroded most everyting around it. One of the connectors was corroded so bad it won't even stay connected. I've purchased the PI 1x4 boards from Pascal, and about $200 in parts from Marco - new legs, coil sleeves, pin remover tool, tons of connectors, ball, new shooter assembly, etc., etc. ....and now the restoration can begin...

DSC03181.JPGDSC03181.JPG DSC03173.JPGDSC03173.JPG DSC03184.JPGDSC03184.JPG DSC03186.JPGDSC03186.JPG

#34 12 years ago

The back glass looks perfect. Let's hope that $200 can make the magic happen.

#35 12 years ago

what an awesome project! I envy you! can't wait to see it when you have it all fixed..

#36 12 years ago
Quoted from donjagra:

The back glass looks perfect.

+1 It looks AMAZINGLY nice. Great score!

#37 12 years ago

Nothing wrong with a DIRTY Genie Sometimes they are better than the clean ones!

#38 12 years ago
Quoted from plowpusher:

Posted 1 week ago | # | quote | !! |

Shane300zx said:

Shane300zx.... im interested in that genie pinball machine and if you are not looking into that machine it would be greatly appreciated if you could leave some sort of contact info. Email, phone, etc. Thank You

Sorry about that hadnt been watching this thread much. But it pops up every now and again in Cl. I watch it and if i see it again i'll give you a shout. Are you local to the sioux city,ia area? Or going to ship it? Im not interested in it have at her.

#39 12 years ago

I've started the tear down and clean up. Any suggestions for how I can get the duct tape gunk off without stripping the paint??

DSC03250.JPGDSC03250.JPG DSC03267.JPGDSC03267.JPG DSC03273.JPGDSC03273.JPG

#40 12 years ago

It's starting to clean up nicely. The plastics look ok, but are still very yellowed. Any suggestions for getting them to look better (without stipping off the art)?

The playfield is also in surprisingly good shape - I haven't found any wear at all.

DSC03304.JPGDSC03304.JPG DSC03306.JPGDSC03306.JPG DSC03309.JPGDSC03309.JPG DSC03330.JPGDSC03330.JPG

#41 12 years ago

I found this stuck in the coin return....

DSC03338.JPGDSC03338.JPG DSC03333.JPGDSC03333.JPG

#42 12 years ago

I would guess that since the artwork is screened on the bottom the plastic itself is yellowed right? Maybe some Novus 2? Looking good though!

#43 12 years ago

this Genie will really shine, i see your moving along nicely

1 week later
#44 12 years ago

Just a quick update on the sexy, but dirty Genie:

I've finished cleaning the playfield, and I'm waiting on the new rubbers. I ordered them from Patelrock because they were the cheapest - but if I knew it would take this long to get 'em (they were sent on Feb 9) I would have paid extra and ordered from someone else.

I've finished rebuilding all the connectors, and have installed the Pascal PI-1x4 board. I've checked all the fuses, coils and bridge rectifiers with the DMM (found one blown playfield fuse).

Last night I ordered Gottlieb System 1 flipper rebuild kits. When inspecting the flippers I found that all of the coil stops were broken, and one of those was wedged in the coil itself. The flipper return springs were also broken, and the plunger somewhat mushroomed. I'm going to rebuild the flippers before I even attempt to power up.

I'll post some more pictures when I get home from work...

#45 12 years ago

Don't know if you cleaned the plastics yet.

I researched online and someone suggested using Dow Scrubbing Bubbles bathroom cleanser. I have had very good luck using that. It doesn't remove the yellow tint to the plastics - that is probably due to some sort of chemical reaction over the years to the nicotine/whatever on them. I spray the scrubbing bubbles on the front and let it soak for just a minute. Then wipe with a paper towel. Then I use the same papertowel and wipe off the back of the plastics. I don't spray directly on the back, and don't know if it will damage or not. Has always worked amazingly for me, and I have not lost any of the screening on the back. Sometimes it takes a second application to get all of the grime off - especially those 50 year old games. It is the easiest way I have found to clean plastics.

I also tried using it to clean the cabinet, but a little of the paint rubbed off.

#46 12 years ago

That backglass is in amazing condition.

I know people are like, "$250 is an amazing deal for that machine" and I'd agree, but the caveat is, once you factor in the price of the PI-X4 ($350) + your $200 in parts, you've already put as much money into the machine as is the typical selling price (~$900) and that doesn't count any of your time cleaning the game, re-pinning the connectors, etc. So restoring games like this becomes a labor of love. You just can't get your money back out of it, unfortunately. I try to explain this to people who list machines like that for $600+ They simply don't realize how much work and money goes into making them whole again.

#47 12 years ago

Are you gonna be keeping her? Its turning out real nice!

#48 12 years ago
Quoted from CaptFantastico:

It doesn't remove the yellow tint to the plastics - that is probably due to some sort of chemical reaction over the years to the nicotine/whatever on them.

I have cleaned them, but as suspected, the yellowing is still there. I've read that it's a chemical reaction to sunlight (UV rays), and not nicotine as most think. I did find a couple suggestions on-line that looked promising, but it seems all of them would also strip away the artwork. At this point, I think my options are (1) re-create the plastics myself, which is probably not going to happen, or (2) just get some cool super bright LED's for the GI and learn to live with it.

Quoted from PinballHelp:

you've already put as much money into the machine as is the typical selling price (~$900) and that doesn't count any of your time cleaning the game, re-pinning the connectors, etc. So restoring games like this becomes a labor of love. You just can't get your money back out of it, unfortunately

You're exactly right. Thankfully, I'm not trying to turn a profit, I'm just doing it for the fun/challenge. That, and I just couldn't bear the thought of such a beautiful machine being sent to the dump.

Quoted from Jeff_PHX_AZ:

Are you gonna be keeping her? Its turning out real nice

I'm not sure. I want to get her up and running and play with her a bit before making that decision.

#49 12 years ago

This looks amazing. Makes me want a project pin!

#50 12 years ago

When I bought Genie, the owner had cut off the plug. He told me it was because when he turned it on, it sparked. Yeah, looks like it did ......

DSC03400.JPGDSC03400.JPG

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 89.00
Electronics
That Old Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

There are 82 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tonight-i-picked-up-a-sexy-but-dirty-genie/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.