image.jpeg
parts.jpg
new_autoplunger.jpg
Tommy,.jpg
Tommy.jpg
IMAG0147.jpg
IMAG0211.jpg
DSC06698.JPG
There are 92 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 11 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Yes, I would like to add a shaker to my Tommy too! Although the shaker isn't implemented in the current software (since it was removed), I understand the shaker still works in the diagnostics if you have it hooked up, so I think we have something to try.
There is a new pinball add-on board called the PIG. This board can hook up mods to the existing 12v power. It can also trigger a switch or solenoid to turn something on. It should be possible if we hooked up the PIG and connected the SHAKER and determined the solenoid used, to get that shaker to work in the game.

The PIG's 12v output cannot produce enough amperage to drive a shaker and there are no controls for timing. You would need to use the PIG with a micro controller addon on some sort and a relay to power the shaker.

#52 11 years ago

I had one working for the mirror the plane and the pops. RGP and search are your friends for how i did it.

#53 11 years ago
Quoted from rajung:

just replaced my cabinet and back box speakers 2 days ago with the pro set up.
Must say the base sub made very noticeable difference.
The back speakers I think I could have done without.
May have been more noticeable of a improvement I think if the actual voice recordings on the chips were better.
I have had my Tommy for 2 weeks and noticed right away there was a hum in the speakers while in attract mode and became louder and quieter as lights would sequence .
The hum is totally gone since replacing both speaker set ups.

That humm during attract mode is actually the DMD. Put your ear up to you it and you'll see what i'm talking about. DE DMD's all do it. THey are loud displays for some reason. I'd love to see if this kicker works on GNR. I don't have a problem with my GNR< but wouldn't hurt to upgrade anyway.

2 weeks later
#54 11 years ago

Just an update. I decided to replace the GI on TOMMY with the new double LED bulbs from cointaker. These are the ones Stern uses in their new games.

I tried cool white and they were too WHITE for TOMMY, but the warm white looked just right. My game is now much brighter and still has that warm feel. I would highly recommend these bulbs for the GI.

Has anyone tried the new 2LED bulbs in Tommy? They are the bulbs Stern is using for GI. My Tommy needs some brightness, but I don't want to mess with the controlled lamps so I thought perhaps the GI would be cool with these bulbs. They look amazing in XMEN.

3 weeks later
#55 11 years ago

Hello,i have found some LED kit for TOMMY here: http://www.pinballcenter.eu/catalog/the-whos-tommy-pinball-wizard-noflix-plus-playfield-kit-p-2577.html?language=english
and i wonder if they are ok for my Tommy that i just bought and if i understood good here i must buy separately LED-s for airplane and props,and buy the way where i can find that black non-transparent propeller mods,thanks.

2 months later
#56 11 years ago

The LED props kit can be found on ebay..but the pictures on the tommy with the red lights on the engine is a mod rajung did himself...it's not sold (no that know of anyway). As far as kits if I were you I'd buy the lights separately...I bought a kit for my TSSP and did not like the colors. You can buy a few different color bulbs that way you can see what looks better, it would end up being cheaper too.

1 month later
#57 11 years ago

Thought I would join in on the keyring mods, found this one Australia ebay.

#58 11 years ago

#59 11 years ago

Last attempt to upload!

IMAG0211.jpgIMAG0211.jpg

#60 11 years ago

Yay!!!

IMAG0147.jpgIMAG0147.jpg

#61 11 years ago

I'm Still wait-n on the Owner of this Home Use ONLY Tommy to sell it to me .. I Low balled him
$ 100.00 off of his ask-n Price and i Lost the Pin .We've kept in Touch since the date on the pict-

Tommy.jpgTommy.jpg Tommy,.jpgTommy,.jpg

#62 11 years ago
Quoted from bugray:

That's a cool keychain, bugray! I searched high and low for something like that when I first bought my Tommy, but I had no luck.

3 weeks later
#63 11 years ago

I just checked thewho.com and they have no keychains. They used to...

#64 11 years ago

Man you guys have some awesome looking Tommys..(or is it Tommies?)....I need to get the engine and explosion mod going on mine. My favorite mode is Acid Queen and of course Tommy can you see?

#65 11 years ago

The Marshall 'stack' is a nice touch.

#66 11 years ago

Anyone know where to get a mirror decal?

#67 11 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

I don't think you can get just the mirror. I have a NOS mirror and the decal is applied on it from the factory. BUTTT, I do have mirror adhesive sheeting that looks like mirror if you want me to cut you a new piece.

#68 11 years ago

marco had them, but they are out of stock at the moment.
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/515-5905-Mirror

Seems you have another option from the Captain anyway....

Quoted from TomGWI:

#69 11 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I don't think you can get just the mirror. I have a NOS mirror and the decal is applied on it from the factory. BUTTT, I do have mirror adhesive sheeting that looks like mirror if you want me to cut you a new piece.

Sure if it works I'll try it.

#70 11 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

Sure if it works I'll try it.

email me next time your going to be at an event i'm at and i'll bring it along.

#71 11 years ago

Hey when are we going to start a Tommy's owners club? Sadly I have to sell tommy soon to raise cash for a TZ...damn tommy is one of the best pins I've ever owned.

#72 11 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

email me next time your going to be at an event i'm at and i'll bring it along.

Sounds good.

2 years later
#73 8 years ago

Just wanted to thank the OP for the idea to use the new Stern autoplunger on TOMMY.
I purchased the following parts:

Autolaunch kicker assembly 500-6091-00
Coil - DE/Sega/Stern 090-5023-0B
Transistor TIP36C 5194-12179-00 (this predriver blew when the coil I had in my old autoplunger caused a fuse to blow)
six - #6 screws (like the ones all over the rest of the underside of the playfield)

This is a bit of work and took me 3 hours so I figured while its fresh in my mind I would write down instructions for someone else.

You have to remove the whole assembly (you only have to unsolder the lugs on the coil, the switch can be removed without disconnecting. Remove the screws on the switch base. Remove the coil base from the flat bracket.

Next, mount the switch directly to the underplayfield. If you have a later stern model available you can see how far back you need to mount it. Remove the small bracket on the switch and reverse it so you mount it on the left side of the shooter groove. (if you don't do this the plunging mech will hit it. The right angled wire of the switch should be about 10mm from the edge. Ensure you can move the switch freely when mounted.

Then assemble the kicker, bracket and coil as one unit. You will need to hold this up to the underside of the playfield and with a pencil
and your other hand mark the mounting holes once its all aligned up and the plunger moves freely and the kicker prongs don't hit the playfield. align the prongs with the center groove.

Now mount the kicker assembly in the mounting holes you made. I didn't need a drill, just had to push hard on the screws with my driver.

Then mount the coil/bracket in the mounting holes you made.

Reconnect the wires to the coil and enjoy.

If you blew a fuse because of your autoplunger, it probably took the pre-driver with it (like mine did). The pre-driver is Q5 and its on the power board. remove the board, desolder the transistor, install the new transistor, replace the 4a slow blow fuse and enjoy!

#74 8 years ago

Just wanted to thank the OP for the idea to use the new Stern autoplunger on TOMMY.
I purchased the following parts:
Autolaunch kicker assembly 500-6091-00
Coil - DE/Sega/Stern 090-5023-0B
Transistor TIP36C 5194-12179-00 (this predriver blew when the coil I had in my old autoplunger caused a fuse to blow)
six - #6 screws (like the ones all over the rest of the underside of the playfield)
This is a bit of work and took me 3 hours so I figured while its fresh in my mind I would write down instructions for someone else.
You have to remove the whole assembly (you only have to unsolder the lugs on the coil, the switch can be removed without disconnecting. Remove the screws on the switch base. Remove the coil base from the flat bracket.
Next, mount the switch directly to the underplayfield. If you have a later stern model available you can see how far back you need to mount it. Remove the small bracket on the switch and reverse it so you mount it on the left side of the shooter groove. (if you don't do this the plunging mech will hit it. The right angled wire of the switch should be about 10mm from the edge. Ensure you can move the switch freely when mounted.
Then assemble the kicker, bracket and coil as one unit. You will need to hold this up to the underside of the playfield and with a pencil
and your other hand mark the mounting holes once its all aligned up and the plunger moves freely and the kicker prongs don't hit the playfield. align the prongs with the center groove.
Now mount the kicker assembly in the mounting holes you made. I didn't need a drill, just had to push hard on the screws with my driver.
Then mount the coil/bracket in the mounting holes you made.
Reconnect the wires to the coil and enjoy.
If you blew a fuse because of your autoplunger, it probably took the pre-driver with it (like mine did). The pre-driver is Q5 and its on the power board. remove the board, desolder the transistor, install the new transistor, replace the 4a slow blow fuse and enjoy!

Great stuff! Are you able to show some pics of your work please?

#75 8 years ago
Quoted from dmacy:

Great stuff! Are you able to show some pics of your work please?

Sorry, I only took 2 pics, it didn't occur to me at the time and then it was too late The first one is the new Stern autoplunger installed on TOMMY and the second pic is the old coil, plate and autoplunger and some misc parts.

The bracket in the upper left on the chair is for the playfield prop rod, but I'm taking it out because its dangerous (the playfield fell twice on me using that, what poor design).

new_autoplunger.jpgnew_autoplunger.jpg
parts.jpgparts.jpg

2 months later
#76 8 years ago

I'm looking at the Auto Launch Kicker Assembly from Marco but I see this at the bottom:

"Will not fit later model TOMMY games."

Anyone know how to determine if mine is considered a "later model"?

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/500-6091-00

#77 8 years ago
Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

I'm looking at the Auto Launch Kicker Assembly from Marco but I see this at the bottom:
"Will not fit later model TOMMY games."
Anyone know how to determine if mine is considered a "later model"?
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/500-6091-00

You are removing the whole assembly. I saw their quote too, but it will fit in any TOMMY. See what I did a few posts back.

#78 8 years ago

I saw their quote too, but it will fit in any TOMMY

Damn. I was hoping for something that was an easy swap.

3 weeks later
#79 8 years ago

You are removing the whole assembly. I saw their quote too, but it will fit in any TOMMY. See what I did a few posts back.

Purchased all the parts listed to perform the auto-launch mod and just received them today. I think I now know why they state it won't fit later Tommy games. The coil bracket on my game looks nothing like the one you have or what's listed in the manual (part 535-6898-00), the one I have is mounted horizontally. I will need to purchase a new bracket to get it to fit but I cannot seem to find the part, any ideas for a proper substitute coil bracket?

Pic of the coil bracket that's in my game:

image.jpegimage.jpeg

#80 8 years ago
Quoted from Krakatoa:

Purchased all the parts listed to perform the auto-launch mod and just received them today. I think I now know why they state it won't fit later Tommy games. The coil bracket on my game looks nothing like the one you have or what's listed in the manual (part 535-6898-00), the one I have is mounted horizontally. I will need to purchase a new bracket to get it to fit but I cannot seem to find the part, any ideas for a proper substitute coil bracket?
Pic of the coil bracket that's in my game:

image.jpeg

Same issue with my Tommy, Goaler1.

Had to improvise a more horizontal mount, and tweak it. I doubt my kicker works as well as others with the older Tommys, who could mount directly, but it is MUCH better than before. Usually the autolaunch is very brisk. Every few launches are weakish. But not nearly as before.

1 week later
#81 8 years ago

Has anyone had issues where a flipper gets really weak or goes dead during multiball? My right flipper flakes out a lot and sometimes both go dead in the middle of multiball.

2 weeks later
#82 8 years ago

The videos below show the issue folks are having with auto launcher/plunger on Tommy?

#83 8 years ago

The issue I have with my Tommy is that the ball takes too long to settle and doesn't get kicked properly during MB start (just like in your video). So then 2 balls get in the lane and you often lose any proper launch to the upper flipper.

Also would love to find out how to add chimes (and a shaker) to this game.

#85 8 years ago
Quoted from shimoda:

The issue I have with my Tommy is that the ball takes too long to settle and doesn't get kicked properly during MB start (just like in your video). So then 2 balls get in the lane and you often lose any proper launch to the upper flipper.
Also would love to find out how to add chimes (and a shaker) to this game.

I didnt realize the rubber tip was protruding past the auto launcher so i trimmed it and it fixed issue. The game is suppose to use the black tip but mine had the white one. ill order a black one but for now this works..

rin-pt.jpgrin-pt.jpg

IMG_2143.JPGIMG_2143.JPG

IMG_2144.JPGIMG_2144.JPG

1 year later
#86 6 years ago

TOMMY alternate backglass

DSC02022 (resized).JPGDSC02022 (resized).JPG

DSC02032 (resized).JPGDSC02032 (resized).JPG

#87 6 years ago
Quoted from gjm:

TOMMY alternate backglass

That's pretty cool. I'd love to see what it looks like lit up in the machine.

#88 6 years ago

I did the autoplunger upgrade as well after fixing the mess the old one made of my pf. Besides the normal GI led stuff (warm white under the yellow plastics, cool white under the blue ones) I added a cool white strip behind each of the bomber plastics, and a warm white under the bomber. Really added some much needed light.

#89 6 years ago

Pinball-Dreams in Europe made only 2 of these. I already sold the pin without this glass in it but now I have listed it for sale under the
"parts" tab on pinside. It is not cheap but there again only 2 ever made. Here is some pics of it in the pin. After almost 40 years of being involved with pinball, I'm slowly getting out of the hobby.

DSC01907 (resized).JPGDSC01907 (resized).JPG

DSC01908 (resized).JPGDSC01908 (resized).JPG

DSC01909 (resized).JPGDSC01909 (resized).JPG

1 year later
#90 4 years ago

Looking at picking up one of these machines, does anyone know if there are alternative backglasses (maybe as per the pic) available?
Pretty much the only thing that lets the machine down for me aesthetically.

#91 4 years ago

There is a prototype translite that I think is much better. There are some out there. I have one I bought as NOS, but is has some scratches so I never used it. If you are interested, I can PM you pics.

#92 4 years ago

I'll see if i get the machine first, thanks for the offer.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Flipper Parts
TheDudeMods

$ 18.95
$ 28.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 18.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 45.95
Machine - For Sale
Fairfax, VA
Lighting - Led
TheDudeMods

€ 25.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pin-Decals

$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.95
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinball Haus

€ 27.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 92 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tommy-upgrades/page/2?hl=6point5degrees and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.