Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 months ago by Don44
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 5 months ago

It has a regular dmd , and a pinsound board. When I flip the flippers or a coil fires, the sound cuts out. The display occasionally has signs of low voltage and has frozen up at times. It has a rotten dog power supply and a aftermarket PPB board as well. Is there a better power supply out there to handle the pin sound board or any other suggestions?

#2 5 months ago

Anybody have any opinions on the X pin power supply?

#3 5 months ago

display cutting out or freezing could be ribbon cable, but I'd look to replacing the red and black wire plug that brings power to the DMD controller board.

Replace the pins on the board, and use crimp-and-stuff trifurcon terminals in the plug. It's only a three pin plug with two wires.

It used to be that this was THE problem with larger plasma displays like Baywatch, but lately I've seen this be a problem with the smaller displays.

Improve your power distribution, and see if that helps with the display problem.

I dunno about the pinsound issue.

DMD 'showing signs of low voltage'. Does this mean that you have letters that the top line of dots seem dim? If so, while that could be the display power supply board, it's quite likely that your DMD plasma display glass is bad. Dim at the top, particularly when the game is first turned on before it 'warms up', is a very typical sign that you need a new display.

#4 5 months ago

I tried swapping in another display board and a different display. I think my main concern is when I flip both flippers, and the sound temporarily cuts out. I think it’s being caused by low-voltage when both coils are firing. would I be better off with an X pin power supply then the rotten dog power supply? Would a color display use significantly less voltage and make a difference with the pinsound board?

#5 5 months ago

I see that pinsound makes a data east power booster. I ordered it so I will see if that helps before I proceed. It said in the description that it will eliminate the sound cutting out when both flippers are flipped. Fingers crossed for the $30 fix.

#6 5 months ago
Quoted from Don44:

I see that pinsound makes a data east power booster. I ordered it so I will see if that helps before I proceed. It said in the description that it will eliminate the sound cutting out when both flippers are flipped. Fingers crossed for the $30 fix.

Hopefully the cable from PinSound will fix the sound cut out issues. A colorDMD does take some of the load off of the power supply board.

I got a DE JP a few weeks ago and it had a Rottendog power supply board installed. It's had no issues supplying power but it has a tremendous amount of 12V ripple compared to the XPin power supply. That results in a LOT of LOUD speaker buzz.

Installed an XPin power supply board last night. The build quality of the XPin is far superior to the Rottendog. The Xpin 12V ripple is far less than the Rottendog and that equates into FAR less speaker buzz. Add in the White North buzz buster and it's almost silent now, as good as they get without PinSound.

Will never purchase a Rottendog product unless no other option is available.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-pinball-club/page/60#post-8027646

Does your Tommy still have the stock speakers or upgraded PinSound speakers? I have a Neo+ coming in this week for the JP. It has the stock speakers in it but thinking of getting some new ones as they tend to dryrot over time.

#7 5 months ago

The power booster cable from pinsound, resolved my issue. I had had the pinsound in there for a few years without an issue until recently. It has flipper Fidelity speakers. It sounds great with The Who music playing. I don’t have any hum at all. As I recall it did before I put the pin sound in there. Will that buzz Buster work on Stern White star games like T3? As far as the display goes, I think it was a separate issue that has not happened again after reseating the ribbon cables

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
€ 27.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 45.95
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 18.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Flipper Parts
TheDudeMods

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinball Haus

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 18.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Lighting - Led
TheDudeMods

$ 28.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 25.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pin-Decals

$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.