Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by johnwartjr
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_1035.JPG

#1 5 years ago

I just realized that my Tommy has Software V2.0 and apparently 4.0 is the latest. I couldn't find anything on this so I thought I'd start a topic.
Can anyone tell me what the differences are as my machine seems to working perfectly and if it ain't broke I don't wanna fix... Improvements on the other hand could be tempting!
I noticed the chip says V2.0 and the slot above is empty, not sure if this is normal but everything works a treat.
Hope someone can help
IMG_1035.JPG

#2 5 years ago

Listed below are the Revisions for 3.01 and 4.0. I also have a feeling there may be a difference in the pop bumper sounds in the later revisions ??? I'm not 100% sure but think I remember something about that.

The empty slot is fine, just needs the C5 ROM. When updating you also need to change the Display ROM.

Hope this helps

(Tommy fanpage on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Whos-Tommy-Pinball-Wizard-Pinball-Machine-Data-East-1994/147739828633855)

Version: 3.01
Release Date March 28,1994

* (J-22-29) "4 Engine Start" bug

* (J-22-38) MYSTERY not available during MBALL started by MYSTERY

* Left Eject will try to start a U.J. feature if M-BALL is ready but
not ready at the L.EJECT

* Game starts immediately even if balls are missing

* (J-22-44) MYSTERY LIT is displayed correctly after 99 ramps

* Trough correction for when outhole is intermitment and balls fall
back in

* R_TOURNEY is now not tested upon START of game, instead R_RESTART
is the only test made

Version: 4.00
Release Date April 6, 1994

* (J-22-50) Pinball Wizard Ramps score for the duration of PINBALL
WIZARD

* Extra Ball buyin for .25

* Italy Coin dispenser

#3 5 years ago

Wow that's interesting about the coin dispenser. My machine is from Italy, it still has the coin slots that say 500 Lira per credit! I bought a few coins on ebay and use'm as tokens when kids come around and want to play.... adds a bit of novelty. I ordered a set of ROMs and then realized the Display is already a 4.0 and its just the CPU thats 2.0. I read some where that that could create probs but like I said the machine works great.
If I make the change and don't like it, is there any prob with putting the old one back?

#4 5 years ago

It's as easy as installing two rom chips.

As IVE said, you must replace both the CPU and display roms so they are matching. Otherwise it won't work.

Be careful not to bend the rom chips legs when removing/installing. Very easy to damage them if you are rough.

rd.

#5 5 years ago

Cool Thanks look forward to getting my hands on them.
On another topic... Dude you have 90 games that's awesome!!! Are they out in the wild or do you have them all for personal use?

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from Yamisetatiggler:

Cool Thanks look forward to getting my hands on them.
On another topic... Dude you have 90 games that's awesome!!! Are they out in the wild or do you have them all for personal use?

They're all in my house

You can get your rom chips from Ken. Check out the vendors on Aussie Arcade for Skybeau.

rd.

#7 5 years ago

You can also get roms from Beaky in Australia, or I ship worldwide and send many orders into Australia.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 86.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Flipper Parts
TheDudeMods
$ 22.00
Boards
PinSound

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside