IMG_9627 (resized).jpg
IMG_9625 (resized).jpg
IMG_9609 (resized).jpg
49FCF5D8-3950-4D8F-BA71-6CAD690C3AEF (resized).jpeg
IMG_9539 (resized).jpg
IMG_9536 (resized).jpg
IMG_9538 (resized).jpg
IMG_9537 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lhammer610.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 3 years ago

I purchased the suggested 8" glazing ball to replace my missing Tommy Silverball Topper. But I cannot figure out how to secure it. I don't want it to crash off the top of the machine.

It does not sit very far in the hole in the backbox. There is one little hole in the ball. Not sure if I would shatter the ball if I try to put a screw into that.

The one picture shows how it does not sit down into the hole very far.

If you know how to secure this ball to the head, please let me know and include photos. Thanks.

IMG_9536 (resized).jpgIMG_9536 (resized).jpgIMG_9537 (resized).jpgIMG_9537 (resized).jpgIMG_9538 (resized).jpgIMG_9538 (resized).jpgIMG_9539 (resized).jpgIMG_9539 (resized).jpg
#4 3 years ago

I am not certain what material the ball is made of. The listing says silver stainless steel. If it is, it is quite thin. It feels more like a coating on a Christmas Tree ball.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KCB5UWO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title

One of the comments from a customer says it is "Polished stainless steel very durable and survived a Boston winter with no harm."
I guess that is encouraging so that I can safely drill it.

I was thinking of trying to drill a hole big enough to get a toggle bolt (wing nut) into it. If it really is metal, I should be able to do that. It would be nice to have a screw long enough to go through a piece of wood attached inside the backbox.

I am not too thrilled with the idea of glueing anything to it. Not sure it would stick on the shiny surface, but I could rough it up.

Whatever was in there originally to hold the ball had three screws in the side of the hole in the top.

Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Make sure you get a metal gazing ball. I bought some to use as trophies and one of them had a big crease in it. Didn't matter for my application. I drilled holes in it and used wall anchors to secure it to a wooden base so it wouldn't roll away.
[quoted image]

Are these the standard drywall anchor screws with a plastic sleeve that one inserts into drywall? I was wondering how well that would work on this ball. If it really is metal, it might work. I don't want the crease to extend too far from the bottom and be visible outside the backbox.

1 week later
#6 3 years ago

I would have used a spring loaded toggle bolt, but the only ones I had seemed awfully large.
So I used the type of metal molly that expands as the screw is tightened. That would have worked fine, except that this molly depends on the outer disk of the molly 'biting' into the drywall to hold it into position. That does not work on a metal ball.

As I tightened it down, I could no longer hold the molly with pliers or a vicegrip. So I put some epoxy as best I could under the outer disk and hoped it would adhere to the shiny metal ball.

Much to my surprise, that worked. The ball is held in place by the piece of scrap wood I had handy. Should be easy to remove with one screw and reinstall if needed. While the ball should stay in place if the backbox is lowered, I put a note saying the ball should be removed.

IMG_9609 (resized).jpgIMG_9609 (resized).jpgIMG_9625 (resized).jpgIMG_9625 (resized).jpgIMG_9627 (resized).jpgIMG_9627 (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Fairfax, VA
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 28.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinball Haus

Lighting - Led
TheDudeMods

$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

€ 25.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pin-Decals

$ 18.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

€ 27.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 45.95
Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

Flipper Parts
TheDudeMods

$ 18.95
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lhammer610.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tommy-silverball-topper?tu=lhammer610 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.