Topic poll

“Which is better?”

• Tommy 31 votes
    56%
  • TFTC 24 votes
    44%

(55 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

#1 7 years ago

I'm thinking about getting a 2nd pin to go with my STTNG.

What I'm looking for is a game that plays well. I would upgrade the TFTC to the latest code so the laugh isn't annoying.

The biggest thing is gameplay. What do you think has a better rule set and is more fun? With the sounds what did you like? Any help is appreciated!

#2 7 years ago

I loved my Tommy and wish I had never gotten rid of it. Gameplay was simple but fun and the sound track was great for a pin of that era.

#3 7 years ago

Add a poll...

I prefer Tommy, better music and modes

#4 7 years ago

Tommy is ALL about the regular multiball and the modes, and there are LOTS. I'd say TFTC has more background features, but is no slouch on the modes either.

On balance, I'd say Tommy is more fun.

#5 7 years ago

Thanks, I changed it. I wish I could try them, I have pinball finder and can't find them anywhere It feels odd to go to a sellers house to try the game and leave because I'm going to another sellers house to try that game then make a decision

#6 7 years ago

Also, if you could elaborate on what makes it more fun that would be great. How are the ramps/gameplay? It would be my first music pin, I'm nervous I would get sick of the music.

#7 7 years ago

Both are great games... especially if you update them with the patches found at www.pinballcode.com

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

Both are great games... especially if you update them with the patches found at http://www.pinballcode.com

That is what is making me look at TFTC, because of that code, all the new callouts and the reduction of the cackle makes it a different game

#9 7 years ago

Chad, your code updates are awesome. I updated my JP and a friend updated his TFTC. Simply amazing. You're doing God's work.

#10 7 years ago

Could possibly be the two best DE games. I like TFTC better, but both are great games. TFTC is tough to look past the theme if you are not into it.

#11 7 years ago

Tommy by a large margin. LOVE the blinders.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#12 7 years ago

I've owned both and still have my tftc. Miss my tommy allot though, there both great games and were made back to back by data east so they are very similar and both have a ton of modes. I kept my tftc because of theme mostly and the new code is great. Can't go wrong with either so I'd let whatever theme you like better make up your mind.

#13 7 years ago

Tough call but I'd have to lean towards TFTC. But that's because it's completely sick and twisted and ridiculous on so many levels, it makes it a must have to me. Add the ChadH code and a subwoofer and you'll be very pleased.

I've played Tommy a few times and just can't get into it as much for some reason.

#14 7 years ago

I owned great examples of both. The layouts are similar in may ways, sorta mirror-images of each other. Had to sell one to make room and chose to keep Tommy but that was based on the flip of a coin. I feel like the shots on TFCT are a tad bit harder to make, if that helps you.

#15 7 years ago

Can't really go wrong with either.
The cackle is extremely annoying to me but if the new code reduces that then it has just now become more desirable than before.
Tommy has much better artwork. Does the Tommy have the working blinders? If so, then I would go with Tommy. Assuming equal condition.

#16 7 years ago

I love the ramps on TFTC and the theme and TV show. I think the art is done extremely well and plays into the shows, it packed with details. Tommy I have only played a few times at friends house which was in top shape and fun as well. Overall I still enjoy TFTC for everything it has followed by GNR which is more in price. I am mor attached to TFTC as I remember playing in the pool hall back in the day.

#17 7 years ago

I love TFTC great music, gameplay and DMD animations.

Tommy I had for 2 months could not get into it. The music killed it for me I'm not a fan of the who.

#18 7 years ago

They are both great games. As a huge WHO fan, I'm partial to Tommy, but you really can't go wrong with either one. Chad's code is the icing on the cake!

#19 7 years ago

I like both games a lot but I going to have to go with tommy

#20 7 years ago

+1 Tommy has been with me 20 years, and still love the game play!

How can you beat playing with Blinders?

#21 7 years ago

Had both sold Tommy still have TFTC

#22 7 years ago

Both are probably too complex and deep for a player such as yourself. I'm sorry.

#23 7 years ago

thanks for replies along with votes, I'm still torn on it when you start looking at price..

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Flipper Parts
TheDudeMods

£ 32.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

€ 25.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pin-Decals

$ 64.00
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinball Haus

€ 27.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 345.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

4,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
South Bound Brook, NJ
$ 18.95
Playfield - Plastics
Mad Czar Games

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 18.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Machine - For Sale
Fairfax, VA
$ 18.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Boards
PinSound

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tommy-or-tftc?hl=djshakes and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.