Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 40 posts
  • 33 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Ive
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Which would you choose?”

• "Tommy" 28 votes
      26%
    • "Fish Tales" 79 votes
      74%

(107 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSC01907 (resized).JPG
    251408ee90e39033e3c1f3a72008f7e74db1842e (resized).jpg
    fe364eee77aa06c433246e07e7edb43b836e8ee7 (resized).jpg
    e2382e987fa13033eb08bc80b4aef1ce0cbe5d1a (resized).jpg
    68ad8d8a5bb7885993ee7c0056d456fe92e00717 (resized).jpg
    #1 6 years ago

Which would you choose and why?

68ad8d8a5bb7885993ee7c0056d456fe92e00717 (resized).jpg68ad8d8a5bb7885993ee7c0056d456fe92e00717 (resized).jpg

e2382e987fa13033eb08bc80b4aef1ce0cbe5d1a (resized).jpge2382e987fa13033eb08bc80b4aef1ce0cbe5d1a (resized).jpg

fe364eee77aa06c433246e07e7edb43b836e8ee7 (resized).jpgfe364eee77aa06c433246e07e7edb43b836e8ee7 (resized).jpg

251408ee90e39033e3c1f3a72008f7e74db1842e (resized).jpg251408ee90e39033e3c1f3a72008f7e74db1842e (resized).jpg

#2 6 years ago

FT, more pf action for longer play.

#3 6 years ago

I vote Tommy I feel like there is more to do in the game and it has better and more toys like the blinder, mirror, and the plane.

#4 6 years ago

I like both pins.

FT has a much better flow to it. I like the theme and the layout. It's a good family pin as well. And, it's got that WIlliams build quality.

Tommy has some cool toys, as mentioned above. It has the standard DE modes. As I do love The Who, I don't really like that the actual songs sung by them are not in the pin, although I think there is a way to incorporate them. A bit clunky.

FT for the small win.

#5 6 years ago

FT because it's Neo's favorite.

#6 6 years ago

FT seemed to hold my attention a lot longer than Tommy did.

#7 6 years ago

Owned both multiple times...

Fish Tales is a much better game. Just better layout, more challenging long term, faster game play. Smoother playing.

I wish Tommy were better as I am a Who fan and love the theme and art on it.

#8 6 years ago

FT is a much better player.

#9 6 years ago

Tommy might have more

But fish tales is that one more game pin

#10 6 years ago

Tommy is way better. Fish Tales is fun and a good game, but The Who music, the modes, the layout are just better. I've have them both and Tommy is here to stay.

#11 6 years ago
    Quoted from luvthatapex2:

... but The Who music....

... But the NOT Who music is more the issue

#12 6 years ago

Tommy is pretty good but B/W games like FT just have that magic. Everything comes together with the theme, music, art, and gameplay. You even have that awesome fish topper that flaps its tail. FT is kinda simplistic with the rules and can be brutal but keeps you coming back. Fun to play Tommy on location or at shows but I would love to own FT.

#13 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

... But the NOT Who music is more the issue

Agreed but I installed a pinsound board, added this backglass and now I have a great "WHO" pin.
    I like FT but the music is tough.

DSC01907 (resized).JPGDSC01907 (resized).JPG

#14 6 years ago

Neither.

#15 6 years ago
    Quoted from gjm:

Agreed but I installed a pinsound board, added this backglass and now I have a great "WHO" pin.
    I love FT as well.

Not to derail this thread, but what does it cost to upgrade to The Who songs? You mentioned a pinsound board. Can you reference costs? Curious

#16 6 years ago

My buddy had a really nice fish tales for about a year.
    Not only did I hate it, so did he.
    That double ramp right in the center of the playfield pretty much ruins the view on the entire machine.
    He had a lot of trouble getting rid of it too.
    If you buy a fish tales, don't pay any more than $2700

I'd file fish tales as one of the most over rated games.

#17 6 years ago

I will PM you so not to "go off the rails" with the OP's thread.

Quoted from Blackbeard:Not to derail this thread, but what does it cost to upgrade to The Who songs? You mentioned a pinsound board. Can you reference costs? Curious

I will PM you so not to "go off the rails" with the OP's thread.

#18 6 years ago

Had both, would buy a tommy again with pinsound board ($350). Have no interest in owning another fishtales.

#19 6 years ago
    Quoted from Blackbeard:

Not to derail this thread, but what does it cost to upgrade to The Who songs? You mentioned a pinsound board. Can you reference costs? Curious

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=pinsound+pinball

This link might help. It can also help you with other questions you have in the future.

#20 6 years ago

FT all day long...

#21 6 years ago

Another vote for FT. I just got back from PHOF in Vegas and played a few games on FT - just love it. I had to play spyhunter too

#22 6 years ago

FT for me too.
    It's stable like all W/B games.Nice colors,good music for the theam and sounds.
    Had both games.
    TOMMY-felt it like all other DE games-don't know but when I play DE games is somehow plastic in my hands.The voices are not so fine.The toys looks like from LEGO.

#23 6 years ago

Tommy: great lay-out, very good multiball, good modes.
    Fishtales: lock balls, 3 jackpots, super jackopts, lock balls, 3 jackpots, super jackopts,lock balls, 3 jackpots, super jackopts,lock balls, 3 jackpots, super jackopts,lock balls, 3 jackpots, super jackopts,lock balls, 3 jackpots, super jackopts,lock balls, 3 jackpots, super jackopts,lock balls, 3 jackpots, super jackopts,lock balls, 3 jackpots, super jackopts...

#24 6 years ago

FT because it shoots so well and it’s so satisfying to hit some of the shots

#25 6 years ago

Tommy? Pfft not even in same league as FT!

#26 6 years ago

Wow!
    Looks like "Tommy" has gotten smoked..Didn't see that coming...Thanks for all in input!

#27 6 years ago

Tommy, but barely.

I love FT, but I think Tommy just has more variety and is more interesting. I like Data East pins in general.

#28 6 years ago

FT all the way! Simple game but it can be brutal. As a general rule I’m not a big fan of Data East games. Just something about those games that don’t allow me to get into them.

#29 6 years ago

I own both for at least 20 years. If I had to give one up... it would be Tommy, by a hair.

#30 6 years ago

Tommy is a much harder and deeper game. I owned both, and would probably own both again, but Tommy is just a much better game overall to me. Fish Tales is pretty much a one more time kind of game that is pretty fun for a while but if you had a small collection would get old pretty quick I think. Tommy is a challenging game for a long time, rare to make the wizard mode, and has a lot of the special magic that B/W games have (like being 2 million short of the replay and the game will give you a 2 million Lyman bonus to make it, lol).

#31 6 years ago

Tommy for me. Much more difficult game, more modes. For me personally the blinders are the best implemented toy in pinball, and probably play a solid 90% of my games with them active. Still have yet to get on the HS list, with the stock scores (my play ain't so great!)

#32 6 years ago

I'm a card carrying B/W snob,so FT.

Snob NOUN 'A person who believes that their tastes in a particular area are superior to those of other people'

#33 6 years ago

Ooooh .....difficult choice as I adore both games. I'm going Tommy purely on sentimental/personal reasons. Though I totally get why some people would prefer FT.

Tommy was my first pin 16 years ago, I loved it on location back in 1994 and had to have one. It's a very different feeling game to FT - it's mode based, think TAF rules. A dialed in one plays so lovely. It has several fantastic multiballs and of course the killer blinders toy. The recent Chad code rewrite is a MUST - the blinders are utilised more in game now, some serious rule changes to some modes, just all round polish on bugs, sounds, lighting etc

I love FT. Absolutely killer fun game. Classic. Saying that I have had 2 and sold 2. So I do get tired of it in a smallish lineup. The good news is there are plenty more Fish (Tales) in the sea so not hard to find another.

Availability could be the factor for you in this .... decent Tommy far harder to come by. So maybe go Tommy, lot easier to pick up a FT down the road.

#34 6 years ago

I really like FT!

#35 6 years ago

+1 for Tommy. Feel me!!

#36 6 years ago
    Quoted from gjm:

I like FT but the music is tough.

Damn I *love* that backglass I wish someone could make these available as a translite. Someone somehow make it happen !

#37 6 years ago

TOMMY!!!!!!!! Can you hear me??

#38 6 years ago

Fish Tales is just plain fun. It's one of those games where it's greater than the sum of its parts.

#39 6 years ago

For those who enjoy Tommy... make sure you pop this in there if you haven't already...

http://www.pinballcode.com/tommy5

#40 6 years ago
    Quoted from ChadH:

For those who enjoy Tommy... make sure you pop this in there if you haven't already...
    http://www.pinballcode.com/tommy5

Chad I have been playing the heck out of Tommy again recently. You did a great job on that code man .... a great job. Smash The Mirror mode is now epic !

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tommy-or-fish-tales and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.