Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

PXL_20201129_000705405 (resized).jpg
PXL_20201129_000449129 (resized).jpg
PXL_20201129_000920210 (resized).jpg
#1 3 years ago

G'day Pinsiders!

Love the information everyone shares on here! This is my first post, and I am hoping somebody has come across a similar issue to mine.
I am sorting through some issues on a Tommy the who pinball, and one problem that I have not yet resolved, is with the mirror continuously running up and down.
I have done the following checks,
- switch test/ both up and down show up as working correctly.
-I have looked at the contacts on the relay under the Playfield and reflowed the solder on this board
- I have tested the tip122 transistor at location Q25 on the CPU tested ok if an in circuit check is accurate?

The mirror starts running as soon as the machine is powered on, could the relay be the wrong type? Or is there something else I can test that causes this to be constantly powered?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

#2 3 years ago
Quoted from Drjones:

- I have tested the tip122 transistor at location Q25 on the CPU tested ok if an in circuit check is accurate?

The transistor is my first suspicion as well. Pinwiki has the test procedure: https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Data_East/Sega#Driver_Transistor_.22Quick_Check.22

Welcome to Pinside!

#3 3 years ago

Thanks for your reply @Yeoldpinplayer,

Your reference link did explain some different testing procedures which helped.
Although the transistors are still testing within the correct range, around .5v on the flanking legs while performing a continuity test.
I did see a note here that stated a transistor could still be faulty even if it tests ok! I am thinking that maybe I should change out Q25 tip122 transistor anyhow, just to be sure. I don't have the exact transistor on hand, although I do have some new tip102 transistors here.
Am I correct in saying that these would be an upgrade to the original?

Whilst Reading through the schematics and owners manual, I noticed that in the mirror up and down test procedure instructions it stated that the relay is driven by Q23 on the CPU board? Although on the chart inside the back box it lists Q25 as the mirror relay driver? (Please see pictures below). Maybe the test procedure is just referring to the location Q23 group of transistors on the CPU board? Anyhow all of the transistors in this group tested good.

PXL_20201129_000449129 (resized).jpgPXL_20201129_000449129 (resized).jpgPXL_20201129_000705405 (resized).jpgPXL_20201129_000705405 (resized).jpgPXL_20201129_000920210 (resized).jpgPXL_20201129_000920210 (resized).jpg
#4 3 years ago

Well, after double checking everything again I decided to replace Q23 and Q25 tip122 constant power transistors just to rule those out.
But the mirror is still continuously running, the board has had some previous battery corrosion damage. Everything else on the game works as it should and the pia led is not in error state.

Would anyone know if there is anything else I should check before shotgunning any other parts on the board?
All transistors on the cpu board did test within the correct ranges..
I don't have a way of testing the ic chips, and from the schematics it appears that the next in line is one of the 7408 chips and then the pia 5f 6821 chip.

Any other ideas out there?

Cheers

6 months later
#5 2 years ago
Quoted from Drjones:

Well, after double checking everything again I decided to replace Q23 and Q25 tip122 constant power transistors just to rule those out.
But the mirror is still continuously running, the board has had some previous battery corrosion damage. Everything else on the game works as it should and the pia led is not in error state.
Would anyone know if there is anything else I should check before shotgunning any other parts on the board?
All transistors on the cpu board did test within the correct ranges..
I don't have a way of testing the ic chips, and from the schematics it appears that the next in line is one of the 7408 chips and then the pia 5f 6821 chip.
Any other ideas out there?
Cheers

So, I'm having the same exact issue. Was working correctly, then I lifted the playfield to find a ball that somehow had escaped during play and now my mirror just constantly goes up and down. Does it all the time, attract mode or when playing a game. I check all connecting and everything looks good. I'm wondering if the OP Drjones or anyone else has resolved this issue?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 18.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
Flipper Parts
TheDudeMods

€ 25.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pin-Decals

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 28.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinball Haus

€ 27.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

Machine - For Sale
Fairfax, VA
Lighting - Led
TheDudeMods

$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 18.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tommy-mirror-not-stopping and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.