(Topic ID: 201075)

tommy game start problem?

By sorcserercomet

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 6 years ago

k i just picked up this tommy the game boots up it will take coins and add credits but when you hit the start button to play a game i kicks the ball out then all pop and sling and hole kicks like its looking for a missing ball and thats it no game tobe played like the game is over ? any help ?

/

#2 6 years ago

Sounds like a switch in the trough or in the shooter lane isn't detecting a ball. I'd probably tend towards the switch in the shooter lane because you wouldn't be able to start a game if it didn't think all the balls were in the trough.

Look at the switch in the shooter lane for broken wire, broken diode on the switch or the wire actuator bent or missing. That switch takes a beating. That's where I'd start. Then if that switch seems ok, then go into Diagnostics and start testing the trough switches and the shooter lane switch with a ball to make sure they all register.

#3 6 years ago

Does it ball search instantly after kicking the ball out or wait a while?

Shooter lane switch is definitely the thing to check. The trough ejector switch isn't needed for the game to play. Even if the shooter lane was broken though, if you just plunge the ball the game should manage

#4 6 years ago

it searches instantly. it has auto plunger so it kicks it out to the play field as soon as you hit the start button b4 the ball even drains the game is allready in atract mode like game over . but i will check them switches thanks for the help. let you know on what i come up with

#5 6 years ago
    Quoted from sorcserercomet:

it searches instantly. it has auto plunger so it kicks it out to the play field as soon as you hit the start button b4 the ball even drains the game is allready in atract mode like game over . but i will check them switches thanks for the help. let you know on what i come up with

When you hit the start button, if all six balls are in the trough (not the kicker to the shooter lane) it should play a little animation before releasing one ball to the kicker and kicking it to the plunger. If all six balls aren't being sensed (including if one is already in the shooter) it'll instead just trigger a ball search attempting to get all six into the trough.

Do all six trough switches register in the switch test when it's ready to start a game?

#6 6 years ago

How many balls are in it?

#8 6 years ago

Go into testing mode. Take all the balls out. In switch test drop in one ball at a time. Or test by hand to make sure each trough switch is triggering.

#9 6 years ago

well thats the second problem with it the dmd is not working i prolly should get that working first b4 this but i got new roms on the way to see if its that

#10 6 years ago

will the cpu make this problem happen i check all the through switches with dmm and thair all good is this a cpu problem the dmd dont work cuz of driver board is bad i think iam getting the rite power to it but its just dead?

#11 6 years ago
    Quoted from sorcserercomet:

will the cpu make this problem happen i check all the through switches with dmm and thair all good is this a cpu problem the dmd dont work cuz of driver board is bad i think iam getting the rite power to it but its just dead?

Without the screen it could be a lot of things.

#12 6 years ago

well i got a new dmd controller board on the way i hope it will fix atleast the dmd

#13 6 years ago

South Park has a DMD controller board that will work in Tommy. I think there was a jumper change though for 1 vs. 2 display ROMs. Can't recall if both games had only 1 display ROM.

#14 6 years ago

ya i was going to do that but when i looked at my sp the controller board has some acid damage and its works so i dont want to touch till it dies if you know what i mean i did get rid off battery and put the nevram in it i dont like messing with my pins but i do clean and wax them every 2 months no matter how much thay get played change battery out every year no matter what cuz it seem to me that every pin that i got had acid damage just to be safe more privet pin owners need todo this cuz its a big pain in the butt to deal with like the three pins i just got in the last month thay have problems cuz of acid damage 250 miles for the closest pin repair man to me so

#15 6 years ago

k now i got the dmd to work it says 6 balls missing?

#16 6 years ago

Go into switch test. Switches 9-15 working properly? Ball trough area. CN8 or CN10 at the CPU unplugged?

#17 6 years ago

well iam stumpt i traced it all back to cn8 column 2 and 4 are not working

#18 6 years ago

Looks like there's a set of transistors to drive the switch columns, it's possible they're bad. Test them compared to the other columns using your multimeter

#19 6 years ago

yup thats the problem column 2 and 4 transisters are bad i think q52 read 593 q54 read 618 and the rest of them read 678 my multimeter is set on diod test is that rite ???

#20 6 years ago

diode test is right, buy those readings aren't that different. you need to check each combination of the three pins though. Even if they test okay it still can't hurt to replace them as the test isn't 100% though

#21 6 years ago

yup i tested them on each prong and the same thing q52 and q54 read way diffrent than the rest

#22 6 years ago

hay thanks alot the games works now after replacing the q54 and q55 resistors

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tommy-game-start-problem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.