(Topic ID: 231398)

Tommy - Flippers Don't Work for in video mode

By DJ-Simon

5 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

Flippers work fine during normal play, but don't work in Captain Walker Video Mode or to input initials for Hi Score.

#2 5 years ago

The flippers are controlled directly by the flipper boards. The boards also are on the switch matrix, and send a signal back to the MPU through that. Find the switch matrix wires on the flipper board connectors (I think CN1-3,5,10) and check continuity back to the MPU.

It could also be a bad flipper board. If I recall correctly, it has two identical boards, right? If so, try swapping them

#3 5 years ago

There's just one flipper control board in the lower cabinet on the left side.

#4 5 years ago

This is intended and normal. The flippers are disabled during Captain Walker and you steer the plane with the flipper buttons. Same for the input initials.

Quoted from DJ-Simon:

Flippers work fine during normal play, but don't work in Captain Walker Video Mode or to input initials for Hi Score.

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

This is intended and normal. The flippers are disabled during Captain Walker and you steer the plane with the flipper buttons. Same for the input initials.

I assumed OP meant that the flippers didn't register in those modes

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

I assumed OP meant that the flippers didn't register in those modes

You are correct during normal play everything is fine. During Captain Walker the plane won't steer and defaults to 13,000,000 score and when inputting Initials after a Hi score can't change the letters from A using either flipper.

#7 5 years ago

Testing reveals 5volts on pin2 CN10, during tommy walker mode only 3 Volts

#8 5 years ago

Thats very odd. The 13 million in Captain Walker is the default score if you steer the plane down to the bottom of the screen and leave it there.
I would change out the game roms and try a fresh set. There is also an updated rom that has some tweaks to the rules and its quite nice.
http://www.pinballcode.com/tommy5

Not sure who burns roms these days ....

Quoted from DJ-Simon:

You are correct during normal play everything is fine. During Captain Walker the plane won't steer and defaults to 13,000,000 score and when inputting Initials after a Hi score can't change the letters from A using either flipper.

#9 5 years ago

ok, I found a solution on the old RGP for you. Look at the last 2 comments. The guy had the exact same problem as you.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/rec.games.pinball/tommy$20pinball$20plane$20control%7Csort:date/rec.games.pinball/FoOe9SSF50A/flcej4k8RywJ

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

€ 27.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 45.95
Lighting - Led
TheDudeMods

$ 28.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Flipper Parts
TheDudeMods

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 25.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pin-Decals

Machine - For Sale
Fairfax, VA
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tommy-flippers-don-t-work-for-in-video-mode and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.