Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by nvu4prod
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

I have a friend with a Tommy and the auto plunger seems weak. I know this game is notorious for having problems plunging two balls out of the shooter lane but this one seems to have problems with one. I've messed with the bracket, taken the assembly apart and made sure its worked smoothly, game is level, etc. I'm considering going the route of a different auto plunger assembly.

Any other suggestions or thoughts before going that route?

If I do go a new auto plunger assembly what's the best solution and what parts need replaced?

Thanks!

#2 7 years ago

When ball enters plunger lane does it hit rubber tip of plunger and bounce off a couple of times?

Like does the tip of plunger protrude into lane a little

#3 7 years ago

As ZenTron already suggested, the first thing you should do is make sure the shooter tip is not protruding past the auto-plunger. This will prevent the kicker from transferring its full force to the ball. Assuming this checks out fine and you are still having problems, the best course of action is probably to replace the whole assembly with one of the newer style Sega/Stern ones. Those older style Data East ones were crap. This is what you need ...

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=3601

One small caveat. Depending on your game, it's possible that the new assembly won't fit. Here's a link to some under playfield photos of my machine with the new auto-plunger installed ...

http://s1097.photobucket.com/user/Pinsational/library/Tommy%20auto-plunger%20mod?sort=2&page=1

#4 7 years ago

The plunger rubber was touching at one point but I think I corrected that. I'll look at those pics when Photobucket is back up (it's down at the moment).

I see the coil bracket for the modern Stern auto plunger isn't included. I think I need that too as it looks bent. This might actually be one of the problems here but given the poor reliability of this assembly putting in the new one is probably the way to go. Anyone know of a source for a replacement for the bracket? It's part number is 515-5351-00. Doesn't seem to be in stock at the usual places.

Thanks
Chris

#5 7 years ago

-> Is this problem you have?

Look at this video how ball doesn't bounce ->

I added an extra plunger washer or two to push resting plunger tip back like 1/8"

#6 7 years ago

As mentioned above, you may need a new auto kicker assembly. I recently bought a DE Checkpoint with the Turbo Boost / Auto Kicker assembly completely missing. I found this article from Action Pinball:

http://www.actionpinball.com/tech/deautolaunch.php

Basically ordered most of all the parts suggested and after installation the auto kicker works great!

And yes, do make sure your shooter tip isn't prohibiting the ball to rest as close to the kicker as possible. Good luck!!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 28.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
Electronics
$ 18.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus
Plastics
Boards
PinSound
Boards
Flipper Parts
TheDudeMods
Flipper parts
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 18.95
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
Electronics
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 18.95
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
€ 25.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pin-Decals
Toppers
$ 18.95
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tommy-auto-plunger and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.