Topic Stats

• 36 posts
  • 27 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by snaroff
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

I have only played these games on Pinball Arcade, and I'm curious to know what game you would take if you had to pick one. How are they similar (aside from the designer) and how do they differ? What game offers more and has more lasting power?

#2 6 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

I have only played these games on Pinball Arcade, and I'm curious to know what game you would take if you had to pick one. How are they similar (aside from the designer) and how do they differ? What game offers more and has more lasting power?

Both are pretty shallow. Pretty sure ToTAN would cost more, but a nice ToM is probably what I'd take in this fantasy scenario. I've owned both and would probably not own either again. If I was going for a magic game, I'd wait for Houdini and see how that turns out.

#3 6 years ago

They are essentially the same game design with different themes.
There are only minor differences, you have just have to scrutinize the playfields, features, ramps, and shots.

This is akin to the old, "AFM vs MM" debate that rages on periodically.
Unfortunately, in the case of these JP games, coding for both titles at the basic level is mediocre.
For reference, I do not require "deep code" for entertainment.

Read my in depth written reviews and recognize the similarities.
I have owned multiples examples of each game.

Most people lean towards TOTAN, out of improved artwork and finale "wizard" mode.

Pinball ratings are often ranked by new players, not familiar with pinball design or have not owned either game.
After about a month of purchase, you will be left wondering why you paid so much for so little long term entertainment.

#4 6 years ago

I love my totan atmosphere, art the lights sounds and shots. Most people that are stern fans bitch about old games code. 90s williams are the best totan all the way, both are great

#5 6 years ago

I love ToM, it has some of the best flow to any game; only drawback is shoot left loop all day + multiball is jank. It is the game that my friends played the most when I had it.

#6 6 years ago

I've had both at the same time. ToM stayed in the linup much longer than TOTAN. TOTAN is a better looking machine, but so easily beatable.

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

TOTAN is a better looking machine, but so easily beatable.

right on...and I'm terrible

#8 6 years ago

I played ToM quite a bit on location when it first came out. It was a fast, fun, state of the art game. When Totan came out I thought what a turd and still do. So I'd stick with the original in ToM.

#9 6 years ago

I have owned both now. Both are wonderful games. TOM has a very smooth shot flow, and hitting the trunk is challenging and feels good to do. Art on TOM is very nice as well.

TOTAN is a little more beautiful, also has great flow, but not as flowy as TOM. I think the light show in TOTAN and the music are better.

Both are super fun. Both are great games!

Marc

#10 6 years ago

I have owned both as well as CV at one point too. The only one that remains is TOM which is also the one I have had the longest which is a little over 5 years now. TOTAN I had for over 3 years and CV only lasted 2 months. TOM is one of my favorites and it is one enjoyed the most by guests.

#11 6 years ago

Funny, if push came to shove, CV would be my keeper. To each our own!

#12 6 years ago

I thought CV was a good playing machine but looked a little too gay for my gameroom.

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I thought CV was a good playing machine but looked a little too gay for my gameroom.

Now THAT is friggin' funny!

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

No such thing in your case.

#15 6 years ago

No thanks. I like to keep my 20/20 vision intact.

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

Funny, if push came to shove, CV would be my keeper. To each our own!

Finished it the first week I had it. Lost all interest after that. Similar story with ToM, but I liked the theme better so it stayed longer. Embarrassing fact: I've never finished MM Battle for the Kingdom. Been there many times, always choke.

#17 6 years ago

I own them both for many years. Neither are good in a small collection because they get easy.

While they are similar I think ToM has a few more shots. Get ToM if you want a bit more playability. TOTAN becomes even easier to beat when you learn to skip the harder more. Sticking the ball to the trunk magnet never gets old.

But TOTAN if you want atmosphere. It has better dots and sound. The skill shot is complete the way ToM was supposed to be and the shooting stars ball save might be the best in pinball. And getting lighting lamp going with multiball is just a thrill.

#18 6 years ago

I've owned both over the years and I'd say TOM is the better game overall. TOTAN has some REALLY annoying sound effects and worse rules. The pop bumper area may be the worst designed in any game ever on that game. TOTAN is easier to "beat" also, especially with the rubies wishing away modes. Both have some cool magnet effects. TOM shoots a little smoother and has better modes and shots. Both have cool outlane saves.

If I had to own one again it would easily be TOM.

#19 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Embarrassing fact: I've never finished MM Battle for the Kingdom. Been there many times, always choke.

Not sure why that's embarrassing?!?!?

Not an easy wizard to get to, let alone complete. Maybe I suck, but I've had the game 6 months and have only reached BFTK once, and wasn't able to finish it.

#20 6 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

Not sure why that's embarrassing?!?!?
Not an easy wizard to get to, let alone complete. Maybe I suck, but I've had the game 6 months and have only reached BFTK once, and wasn't able to finish it.

I've played it a LOT (not currently, but in the past) and I've finished plenty of games, some in the first week (consistently getting to Armageddon in DI now after only a few weeks. Showdown can't be far behind). So it's weird that I haven't been able to finish one of my favorites for reasons that are entirely due to me choking once I get to BFTK each time.

#21 6 years ago

I'd go with ToM. I only wish the modes scored more appropriately so they weren't just a time-out obstacle to get to Grande Finale, which is also a bit disappointing.

#22 6 years ago

have both, enjoy both. totan would stay if i had to pick between the two. the funny part on totan is how people say its too easy because they hit the drop to get wishes and collect jewels. maybe if they would play the modes out and not do that, it would be more difficult. i never take jewels when hitting the wishes. regardless, they are both cool. they sit beside each other in my gameroom, if one had to go, it would be theatre.

#23 6 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

Now THAT is friggin' funny!

Actually thay's not funny at all. Just these stupid one-liners these mega posters love to throw on almost any thread.

-peter

#24 6 years ago
Quoted from PinsideTroll:

have both, enjoy both. totan would stay if i had to pick between the two. the funny part on totan is how people say its too easy because they hit the drop to get wishes and collect jewels. maybe if they would play the modes out and not do that, it would be more difficult. i never take jewels when hitting the wishes. regardless, they are both cool. they sit beside each other in my gameroom, if one had to go, it would be theatre.

Sorry, even without the wishes TOTAN is an easy game. The modes are a joke...usually a couple shots and you're done.

#25 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I've played it a LOT (not currently, but in the past) and I've finished plenty of games, some in the first week (consistently getting to Armageddon in DI now after only a few weeks. Showdown can't be far behind). So it's weird that I haven't been able to finish one of my favorites for reasons that are entirely due to me choking once I get to BFTK each time.

The setup makes a big difference on any pin. My pins are brutal and very difficult to finish.... even ss which is normally pretty easy.

#26 6 years ago
Quoted from prajama:

Actually thay's not funny at all. Just these stupid one-liners these mega posters love to throw on almost any thread.
-peter

Remind me to invite you to my next party. You sound like fun.

Just put all us "mega-posters" (I'm assuming you mean me as well) on ignore and you can have all of your Pinside without the laughs. Should be a fun place, just reading posts by grown men bitching about a light out on their 8000-dollar toys, or destroying each other because their opinions differ.

Sometimes it's nice when somebody comes along and throws a little water on the fire. But I'm sorry if any of my (or others') attempts at levity offended you.

#27 6 years ago
Quoted from prajama:

-peter

It's the background story that makes it funny. If you look thru his past posts, you will see the irony of this one.

3 months later
#28 6 years ago

I guess I suck. I've heard over and over on this thread and others that TOTAN is easy but I've never beaten it. Then again I don't get to play it but at most once a year if even that. Is TOM easy? I'm considering buying either a TOTAN, TOM, or other options.

#29 6 years ago
Quoted from WesleyCowan:

I guess I suck. I've heard over and over on this thread and others that TOTAN is easy but I've never beaten it. Then again I don't get to play it but at most once a year if even that. Is TOM easy? I'm considering buying either a TOTAN, TOM, or other options.

I play TOTAN a lot, only beaten it twice in well over 100 attempts. Great game, love it.

#30 6 years ago
Quoted from WesleyCowan:

Is TOM easy? I'm considering buying either a TOTAN, TOM, or other options.

The wizard mode is very easy (but so is TOTAN's), but you gotta do some other stuff to get there. It's the not the easiest but it's not the hardest. As with most games back then you just have to start all the tricks and not complete them, so you could time everything out; but obviously that';s pretty boring and you woudn't play that way as an owner.

#31 6 years ago

I like the Theme of Totan more, but would have to give the edge to ToM, the features and shots give it more flow and for me is arguably the better package. Also cheaper?

#32 6 years ago

I know TOTAN is shallow but it’s a game I have always wanted to own.

#33 6 years ago

I've had both for well over 10 years, though ToM is basically the wife's.

When we downsize the 23 game collection someday and the dust settles, ToTAN will still be there. The sound effects are a big part of the game (especially with a subwoofer) and go with the theme perfectly, and most would agree that it's one of the nicest looking games ever made.

Is it LOTR deep? No, thank God. It's just fun.

Tom has great flow and is also a beautiful game, but for me, ToTAN takes the prize.

#34 6 years ago

I bought a TOTAN about three weeks ago. I really like it. Everyone says it isn't "deep" but I don't see how it is any different than other pinball games. Start the mode, shot the required shots. Every machine only has so many shot to make, so not sure why this one is different. I only have gotten to Battle the genie once. I'm not horrible as I can get to Germany almost every game on WCS.

Totan is great and beautiful. I just bought a TOM that will arrive in early Dec. Curious to see how they both compare. I will be getting a MB, TAF and DM at the same time. My hands will be full for a while.

#35 6 years ago

Have owned all 3:
TOM (f/6 years)
CV (f/12 & counting)
TOTAN (f/10 & counting)

CV & TOTAN are still here.

YMMV

#36 6 years ago
Quoted from pinzrfun:

Is it LOTR deep? No, thank God. It's just fun.

LOTR is one of the poster children for "deep" rulesets (http://pinball.org/rules/lordoftherings.txt).

I've owned LOTR for 13 years and have never reached "Valinor" (the ultimate wizard mode).

I've owned TOM/CV/TOTAN and finished the games within months. Still own TOTAN. Loved CV. Didn't dig TOM.

snaroff

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Van Alstyne, TX
$ 38.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Manteca, CA
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Machine - For Sale
Sandy Springs, GA
$ 29.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
$ 275.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 47.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 84.99
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
€ 150.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
TheDudeMods

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 4.99
Playfield - Plastics
ULEKstore

$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tom-vs-totan-1?hl=boat and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.