(Topic ID: 276317)

TOM vs TH vs Stern POTC - Best For Casual Players?

By GTO

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 27 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Hazoff
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Best Machine for a Casual Player or Kids?”

• Theatre of Magic 43 votes
    45%
  • The Hobbit 17 votes
    18%
  • Stern Pirates of the Caribbean 26 votes
    27%
  • Other 10 votes
    10%

(96 votes)

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider GTO.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 3 years ago

Alright Pinside. Just wanting to hear some opinions to help me get a pinball machine that can hold casual players' interest and not too difficult for kids. I've narrowed down my options to Theatre of Magic, The Hobbit, and Stern POTC.

I currently own RFM, LOTR, Stargate, and JD. Stargate and Judge Dredd get played the least by casual players and my kids (people will wait their turn on RFM and LOTR, someone MIGHT play JD, people don't even look in Stargate's direction). They feel JD is too difficult and Stargate is clunky/uninteresting theme. My favorite one is LOTR, but I actually enjoy both Stargate and JD and play RFM the least (although I do like it). Family wants to keep RFM, so one of JD or Stargate would have to go to make room for a different pin.

In short, looking for a pin that appeals to casual players and kids, but still holds my interest. I've enjoyed all three of these games below, but wanting to hear from owners.

This is how I see the three new prospects:

The Hobbit - LOVE the theme, being a fan of LOTR and Hobbit movies. Concerned about player's abilities to hit ramps. I know people have lots of trouble hitting my Stargate ramps, even though they're no issue for me. Will prices keep dropping and I lose money if I purchase?

Stern POTC - not a huge fan of the theme, but it's not terrible. I like the game, but will hitting the ship get old? Not much to hit on the lower part of the playfield.

Theatre of Magic - Nice flowy game. Older than the other two options. Is it deep enough to stay in the collection for a while?

I'm not asking Pinside to make a decision for me, but I've just never owned any of these titles so wanting to hear how they do in a home environment and with casual players. What do you guys think?

#4 3 years ago

Zero love for TOM so far? Did not expect that.

#10 3 years ago

TOM coming from behind to tie for the lead.

Is TOM a better value as far as resale? Wonder if CGC will be remaking it any time soon. Would hate to buy a 25-year old machine only for them to remake it when I could have had a new game instead.

#15 3 years ago

My preference is The Hobbit, my 12-year old son is leaning TOM. As for my wife, her only observation is "why do we need ANOTHER pinball machine?" My 5-year old just wants to make sure RFM stays so that he can keep saying "Secret weapon!" and "What the heck are you doing, you stupid martians?"

1 week later
#21 3 years ago

Update: JD and Stargate out the door and I'm picking up a Hobbit on Sunday. Still looking for one more casual game to get me back up to my limit (4 pins) before the wife finds uses for the additional empty space.

The budget took a hit, so thinking of something more affordable for that last pin.

Something around 3.5k or less: Black Rose, DE JP, LW3?

Spending a bit more: Stern POTC, White Water, Flintstones, TOM?

I wish Black Rose came up a bit more often.

#24 3 years ago
Quoted from bbulkley:

I had a Stern POTC and my entire family got bored of it fairly quickly. The ship is an awesome toy but the game itself is repetitive and has almost no flow (almost every shot stops the ball).
In the <3.5K range you might check out Getaway. I have one and it's been a solid hit at my house for a while. It's not deep, but it's satisfying and has good flow (if you care about that).

I spent a couple of hours playing The Getaway and NGG at the Louisville, KY airport once and almost missed my flight! They remodeled the airport since and took out the game room (disappointing). I used to travel that way on business at least 2-3 times per year (pre-Covid). I really liked The Getaway and the supercharger is an awesome toy.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 47.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Cedar City, UT
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct

€ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Sandy Springs, GA
$ 25.50
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Watertown, CT
10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 38.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 130.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider GTO.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tom-vs-th-vs-stern-potc-best-for-casual-players?tu=GTO and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.