Topic Stats

• 39 posts
  • 38 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by jackofdiamonds
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

I'm torn between TOM and IJ for my next pin. But my wife keeps on nagging me to get WH20. And I know I gonna get blasted for saying this but I really don't see why ppl love Wh20 so much cuz this is one game that I could never get into for some reason. The best thing about the game is the topper but my wife loves it. So what do you guys think? TOM or IJ or Wh20? I'm personally leaning towards TOM since it's been on my grail list for so long.

#2 3 years ago

Wh2o would be my choice

#3 3 years ago

WH20 gets better the more you play it. Great strategy game. When do you start 5x playfield, advance raft etc. Great rule set leading to awesome vacation jackpot. Top 10 game maybe even top 5 all time for me.

IJ has a perfect mix of deep rules, great theme, sound/music, toys and dot matrix animations.

Can't go wrong with either game.

TOM for me is beautiful to look at, but playability is not even in the same league as the other two games.

#4 3 years ago

wh20 for me.

#5 3 years ago

I've played all 3 and owned 2 of the 3. I'd say WH20 without a doubt. TOM is beautiful but isn't deep and got old fast. IJ is a nice pin and from the dozen or so times I played it I liked it, but not enough that I left wanting to go find one.

#6 3 years ago

They are all excellent games. You can't really go wrong.

It's hard to imagine a better implementation of theme than IJ. Really captures those three movies well and will always be a classic. White Water is also great with an unusual theme that has lots of fun ramps. Playability wise, I think Theatre holds it's ground with these other two, plus it's the best looking of the three (though White Water is up there).

#7 3 years ago

Have only owned WH20 of the 3 and I got tired of it incredibly fast. Nice layout, but I don't like the rules at all. Very strict and meh.

TOM is a nice game to visit at a friend's house or play at shows, but from my time on it at a friend's, I could tell it would get old incredibly fast. Flows well and is beautiful, but monotonous shooting the trunk over and over.

IJ would be my pick, even though I've never been on the hunt for one personally. Good game and awesome theme, but there are much better games at its price point.

#8 3 years ago

All good games, I've owned all 3 for many years. My preference is ToM -> IJ -> WH20.
FWIW - WH20 is last because the overall best strategy is shooting the VUK over and over and over, and the 5X playfield multiplier stacked with MB is just way too imbalanced from a scoring perspective. I still like it though, but not as much as the other 2.

Since they are all fun games, I'd decide based on the nicest example at a fair price I came across first.

#9 3 years ago

My choice would be Indiana jones

#10 3 years ago

I own all 3... IJ & Wh20 would be a tie then TOM in 3rd.

#11 3 years ago

I have IJ and TOM I love Indy but TOM is my wife's game had WH20 and never got into it much TOM is. It deep but fun for non pin players

#12 3 years ago

I Have owned all 3 and all are really fun titles. My personal order: IJ > WH20 > TOM.
IMO IJ has that perfect balance of theme, rules, flow, sound/music and overall fun factor which makes it one of the greatest pins ever. Now in saying that, I think IJ has to be be really dialled in- with a perfectly working mode hole, properly adjusted mini playfield and a near perfect playfield. I've owned two of these; and my clearcoated mint second example plays fast and flawlessly. Condition on this game make a big difference.
For awesome flow and amazing ramps, WH20 is a great pin. Music, theme and rules aren't in the same league as IJ.
Finally with TOM, a beautiful looking game with really nice flow, toys and sounds; but it's shortcomings are fairly shallow rules and an all but none existent wizard mode. For IJ, both the wizard and video modes are awesome.
In a large collection, all three are great choices.

#13 3 years ago

Wish we new your collection. TOM will be the best but will get old the quickest. IJ will stand the test of time.

#14 3 years ago

I own all 3. My choice would be IJ. Tom is great but the trunk can be a bitch. Wh2o is fun. All are great but IJ offers everything: Great modes, video games, music, POA, ramps, Gun shooter and looks great.

#15 3 years ago

TOM is my choice ... great game!

#16 3 years ago

Have never owned a TOM, but have had a WH2O and own an IJ. I find IJ to be one of the best pins ever made. Very deep and just plain fun. I liked WH2O, but I LOVE IJ.

#17 3 years ago

WH2O is the best player of these three and has the best strategy and coolest shot...WH2O in a landslide!!!

#18 3 years ago

ALL A list games, but here's the order I'd rank them.

Absolutely love IJ. Depth of rules, theme, sound and display animations are second to none on dmd games! Possibly my all time favorite game.

WW is awesome too. Just lacking in the sound area. the more you play this game, the better it gets.

TOM by far has the best artwork and colors. Just doesn't have the depth of rules.

None of these games will ever leave my collection!

#19 3 years ago

Owned them all, still have Whitewater and TOM, can't ever see me selling Whitewater it is just a great game and great rules, you need to play it a lot before making an opinion it just grows on you.

#20 3 years ago

TOM is the best, followed by IJ, with Whitewater pretty far behind.

Your preference between IJ and TOM may depend on how much you like mode-based games and playing modes. The modes are fun to play in IJ and very important for points, and TOM's aren't. But it's also a faster, smoother game with really great theme and intregration and lots of fun tricks.

Whitewater is kind of lame compared to either it's simply not as well designed as those games and not on the same level as far as total package of art, sound and gameplay.

#21 3 years ago

Had all three. Wh20 is the only one still here.

It really depends on your tastes. I really liked TOM at first but the novelty wears of pretty quickly. IJ never really did it for me.
Price would also be a factor in the UK Wh20 is 2/3 the price of the others

#22 3 years ago

whitewater!!!

#23 3 years ago

I've owned all three and would say for game play WH20 then IJ then ToM.
For looks. ToM then WH20 then IJ

ToM in home use you will master it a bit easier but a great flow game. WH20 will kick your butt. It will however keep you coming back for more. IJ is the all rounder. Enough rules to keep it interesting but not if you don't like video modes.

Enjoy the conundrum that is choosing the right game for multiple people. Great hobby this.

#24 3 years ago

Whitewater, easily.

#25 3 years ago

I've owned IJ and ToM forever, I've owned two WH2O's and I couldn't get rid of them fast enough. Its not a bad game but it's just not something I would make a place for in my collection. Best thing about the game for me was the topper effect.....

John P. Dayhuff
Battle Creek, MI.
269-979-3836

#26 3 years ago

Mike Hogue nailed it exactly. I have had all 3 . IJ and WH2O for 4 years and they will never leave. I have owned 55 games over 7 years and those 2 are top 5 of all time period. I had TOM for 1 year and it was a favorite to my family members and a great pin as well. I had to trade it because it was not a challenge anymore.

#27 3 years ago

IJ will keep your interest the longest. Fairly deep rule set and a tough wiz mode once you reach it. Great theme integration, music is good, call outs are awesome.

WH2O is also a great pin, good humour, music is great, looks awesome, but suffers from one flaw. Once you get really good at it, you are shooting that centre shot over and over and over and over ... trying to complete River letters and set up the perfect 5x with multiball.

ToM is the best looking of the 3. Flow is great. Software is the worst of the 3, but not terrible.

Space and money I would have kept them all. I have another WH2O, and will get another IJ one day. I won't seek out a ToM unless it was stupid cheap ... and then I would probably play it and flip it.

#28 3 years ago
Quoted from V4Vendetta:

I'm torn between TOM and IJ for my next pin. But my wife keeps on nagging me to get WH20. And I know I gonna get blasted for saying this but I really don't see why ppl love Wh20 so much cuz this is one game that I could never get into for some reason. The best thing about the game is the topper but my wife loves it. So what do you guys think? TOM or IJ or Wh20? I'm personally leaning towards TOM since it's been on my grail list for so long.

What else do you have in your lineup? If this is going to be your only pin, it changes things quite a bit. Are you a fan of the Indiana Jones movies?

I currently own White Water and have owned ToM previously. I've only put a couple games on IJ.

White Water is a blast and has a unique layout. Art and sounds are great. Ranks very high up there on the "fun rating".

ToM is amazing to look at and has several really great tricks and toys (lots of magnets!). Possibly the best looking DMD game ever produced, with exception of maybe TOTAN. Some of the modes are a grind, and the wizard mode is kind of lame.

IJ seems to have some good depth and looks/plays great. I haven't played this one enough to form a strong opinion, but it seems like a solid game with plenty of variety and depth.

Overall, I think if it's your only game, you'll probably get the most value with an IJ. If you have a collection, WH2O is a good choice as its layout and gameplay are so different than most games out there.

#29 3 years ago

The big key with IJ is that you need one that works really well. I always thought IJ was a bad game because I kept playing ones that did not work right. When I found one that DID play perfectly, I knew I had to have one. And then I got it, and I honestly can't see this one leaving.

#30 3 years ago

1. IJ Found a proto of IJ and love the game. Side art is great if not faded. Gameplay is very good. Sound bytes are also great (especially if you are a fan of the Indy movies, which I am). It's staying.
2. WH2O Found a great example at a great price. Sold it to make room. May get another some day. Loved the Insanity Falls ramp and topper
3. TOM. Bought it twice, sold it twice. Nice flow on the ramp shots. Tiger Saw Mod is pretty cool....that's about it for me.

#31 3 years ago

TOM has the best shots and ball flow, but a simple rule set that gets old quickly.

IJ always strikes me as a bit odd with the ball kinetics, but who doesn't love the theme?

WH2O has a love it or hate it playfield layout. If you love it, you have an excellent total package with little in the way of shortcomings.

2 weeks later
#32 3 years ago

I'm going to have to say IJ>>>>TOM>WH2O.

Don't take that as disliking WH2O; it's a good game, but it just has never clicked with me the way it has for so many around here.

#33 3 years ago

IJ all the way, Wh20 far second, TOM distant third.

#34 3 years ago

They are all great games. WH20 has a lot of character and fun layout. My concern is that it is often at the top of the most difficult game to shop. Every one I play on location has similar issues so not sure I will even want to own one given they don't go for cheap.

TOM is no doubt a beautiful game. I like the layout but I can see where the game could get old. The callouts are repetitive and the game in general does not have a lot of character.

IJ is a lot of fun to play and great theme. I like the variety of modes with different shots. I didn't think much of the pin at first but really like it now. It seems like it has more lasting power in fun gameplay than WH20 and TOM.

#35 3 years ago

All three are great, my only gripe with TOM is being repeatedly told to 'shoot the magic trunk!'

#36 3 years ago

Unless I missed it, I didn't see any responses with the most important determining factor of all. You answered your own question in the first post. Your wife loves WH20. There's your answer. Happy wife, happy life.

#37 3 years ago

White Water is easily the best playing game of those three. Scoring and rules are flawed on the other two, particularly TOM.

WH2O > IJ >>>TOM

#38 3 years ago

for me it would be IJ just cause i've only played like 3 games on one.

but i think WH2O is better then TOM

oh and happy wife = happy life

#39 3 years ago

Best toy of all 3 is the TOM trunk.Also best flow game of the 3.

IJ has best rules and depth.Also a widebody if ya don't already have one.

Wh2O is a rampfest with really no toys.Bigfoot is really a diverter.Its not like you get to bash him.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 109.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Cumberland, RI
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Branson, MO
$ 28.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 369.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
$ 129.00
Lighting - Led
LED OCD
$ 32.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 9.95
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 129.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 159.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 279.95
$ 28.00
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Machine - For Sale
Pittsburgh, PA
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 47.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside