Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20180109_163513 (resized).jpg

#1 6 years ago

I took a TOM in trade, It plays but the trunk does not work at all.
I am looking for someone to walk me through this, I looked up some other threads but the didnt help.
Here is what I know:
Nothing...it doesnt work at all, no movement. Switch error #s 55-58 on boot up. Trunk does not move in trunk test. The board has 2 LEDs that are on...where to start?

#2 6 years ago

Motor getting power ? Motor board getting power ? Wires up through trunk shaft all broken and shorted ?

LTG : )

2 weeks later
#3 6 years ago

Sorry, just got back to this...the 4 wires going up through the trunk are twisted and broken off. They appear to be for the bulb and magnet, I ordered a new one. In the meantime, should the trunk still spin with those disconnected?
There is power to the motor board (the red led is on)and the 4 position optos register in test.

#4 6 years ago

The wires that come through the trunk are for the magnet and the lamp inside the trunk. They are not responsible for its lack of movement.

#5 6 years ago

Did you check your eddy switch? When I got mine it didn't work. There's a pot on the eddy board, turn it till the light goes on, then back it off until the light goes out. Should be good to go.

#6 6 years ago

I’ve had to adjust the eddy switch a couple times on my trunk as well. That’s where I’d start. I had to adjust them in the outlanes for Hocus Pocus as well. That’s a different issue though.

#7 6 years ago

If the eddy is not working then the trunk wont move at all?

#8 6 years ago

Go into switch test and sort out switches #55-#58. Not sure what those switches are from the top of my head, but they are probably related to trunk hits, etc.

Go into the test menu and test the trunk operation. You should be able to move the trunk into each position using the menu buttons. this will tell you if the board and motor works. I'm guessing though, once you sort out the switches, everything will work fine.

#9 6 years ago

Switches 55-58 is the trunk opto board. Replace it with the Leon board. Well worth the money
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tom-trunk-error-leons-fix-anyone-done-this

#10 6 years ago

Trunk does not move at all in test mode...
The 4 positioning switches register in test...

#11 6 years ago

Then I would check to see if you are getting power to the motor. Can you hear the motor when you try to turn it? If your trunk motor shows voltage, the grease packed inside the gear box may have gummed up. You'll have to disassemble the motor to clean and regrease.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/if-your-tom-trunk-is-acting-up-clean-the-gear-boxjunk-in-the-trunk

#12 6 years ago

When in test mode, are there 3 closed switches and 1 open switch? (55-58) check the trunk opto interrupter as well to make sure it is positioned correctly.

#13 6 years ago

Ok, I started this thread a few weeks ago and did a poor job...I should have taken a few pics of the area and had all the simple things checked... Im at the dog beach in San Diego now but when I get home I will take a look .
The trunk did not work when I got the game, the former owner said he tried some troubleshooting with no luck. I will report back. Thanks for the help

#14 6 years ago

Ok. Let's see what you got also posting this issue in the club thread will yield more suggestions too

#15 6 years ago

I would try disconnecting the motor and hooking a 9v battery to it. If it moves it's not the motor that's bad.

#16 6 years ago

It's just a fuse.

#17 6 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

If the eddy is not working then the trunk wont move at all?

No, it will not. In test mode you can roll a ball over the area in front of the trunk or hit the trunk with the ball to see it the eddy is working. I just had to adjust mine the other day.

If your trunk isn't spinning in test mode it is likely the motor.

#18 6 years ago

CHeck for the resistors and big electrolytic capacitors, common porblems there

#19 6 years ago

Motor spins fine with a 9v battery attatched.

I found this lone connector, I cant find anywhere it may have come loose from. Is this supposed to be plugged into something or is it not used?

20180109_163513 (resized).jpg20180109_163513 (resized).jpg

#21 6 years ago

I would connect a voltmeter to the motor stabs and go into trunk test to see if voltage is going to the motor. And work my way back from there. Prob motor control board issues.

1 week later
#22 6 years ago

was getting really strange readings on the dmm...turns out the head and cabinet ground braids did not have continuity
I cant believe the game was playable at all...
trunk now works as designed...thanks all

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
Decals
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods
Led
Machine - For Sale
Richfield, OH
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 47.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Interactive
€ 69.00
Pinball Machine
Multiball mods
Pinball Machine
$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room
Decorations
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs
Decals
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Boards
€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 130.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus
Plastics
Machine - For Sale
Omaha, NE
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound
Other
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
Boards
Slap Save Creations
Boards
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 38.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Mod Co.
Other
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Boards
PinSound
Boards
9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Boca Raton, FL
Machine - For Sale
Boulder, CO
$ 22.50
Electronics
bdash's bits
Electronics
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tom-trunk-wont-perform and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.