By pinbwzrd

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

Hello all,

Been fighting with my ToM trunk for quite awhile now and although my problem has gotten better, it's still a problem. I have the common issue of the trunk going into 'error' mode if you hit it while it's turning. I have read hundreds of posts of possible fixes. I have changed the motor (not the gearbox) and the opto interrupter(metal one) and the problem still exists.
My question is; Does anyone know what the theory of the 'safety circuit' is? Is it timing? Is it current overload? Something else? The manual just says you have a opto or motor problem.
If it is timing, then maybe a faster motor would help? One thing that I still want to do is fully clean and re-grease the gearbox. Any new ideas on this problem?

Thanks for any help or ideas!
Jim

#2 11 years ago

Any flaky opto or connector pins on the interrputer board ?

LTG

#3 11 years ago

All been re soldered......may change optos if gearbox cleaning fails to work.
Works perfect as long as you don't hit it while it's moving.
jim

#4 11 years ago
Quoted from pinbwzrd:

Works perfect as long as you don't hit it while it's moving.

Try playing a game on it with the galss off. When the time is right hit the trunk with your hand simulating a ball hit.

If it stops then concentrate on the trunk stuff, if not then the eddy sensor is causing it.

LTG : )

#5 11 years ago

Auto eddy board from Pinbits is nice but pricy.Exaust all other possibilities,and if you can't get her going try one of these.....but it's not a guarantee.

#6 11 years ago

How can the eddy board cause the trunk to stop?

#7 11 years ago

I don't think it's actually the eddy sensor,I think it's in the software ....but....a flaky eddy sensor can cause a bad read and contribute to the stop/freeze problem homeboy is having.Scott

#8 11 years ago

Take apart and clean and lube the gear box.

I had random trunk errors and in my case the trunk gearbox was filled with old grease that was like molasses. I cleaned and re- lubed it and no more errors. My trunk rotates twice as fast as before.

Info in this thread-

http://tinyurl.com/crjang2

#9 11 years ago

Wrap the led indicator on the eddy board for the trunk in electrical tape, but so you can see the top of the LED, but light does not emit from the sides.

This LED, when the eddy detects a hit, flashes, indicating a switch hit. The LED is used for calibrating the pot, but in play, this LED actually emits enough light to set off the opto in the trunk. You hit the trunk while it's turning, the opto inside the trunk gets fooled thinking a ball is somewhere it shouldn't be, as a further switch does not get activated, as there is no ball in there, and the software instructs it to halt.

#10 11 years ago

I had issues with tuning my trunk eddy board and strange behavior was observed with the trunk spinning too much or reversing motor direction. I got tired of tuning the board before playing each time so I bought the pinbit board. Yes it is a little more than replacing the original but -- for me -- it fixed my trunk issues and was worth it.

The other thing I did before replacing the board was disassemble the plastic housing (below playfield) where the optos are located (lots of plastic dust, good grief!). Gave it a good cleaning and checked the alignment. It helped a little, but the board seems to have been my real issue.

#11 11 years ago
Quoted from pinbob:

The other thing I did before replacing the board was disassemble the plastic housing (below playfield) where the optos are located (lots of plastic dust, good grief!). Gave it a good cleaning and checked the alignment. It helped a little, but the board seems to have been my real issue.

Anytime - absolutely anytime you have an opto board out, especially a hard to reach one such as the one side of the trunk, always replace the optos, or at the very least reflow the opto bulb leads. These are always prone to cracks, and in any game can cause intermittency issues.

3 years later
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 38.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 47.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 33.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Boca Raton, FL
$ 29.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

€ 150.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
TheDudeMods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Machine - For Sale
Sandy Springs, GA
$ 11.95
$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 275.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wilsonville, OR
Wanted
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tom-trunk-theory and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.