New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 120545)

Tom trunk squealing

By robbiedoo

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by robbiedoo
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

detail.png

#1 5 years ago

I performed the gear removal and regrease last year, and things have been fine until just lately... It starts to squeal and seems to struggle with turning. Here's a quick video...
Tom noise:

Any thoughts? I hope I don't need to regrease the gearbox again.

#2 5 years ago

Motor or gearbox. Something wants attention.

LTG : )™

#3 5 years ago

That trunk has more than a noise problem, the wiring should not be twisted, looks like there are a few parts installed incorrect or missing. When you redid the gear box did you work on the motor also?

#4 5 years ago

No, no work on the motor. TBH the whole thing was quite the mess to begin with.

Can you please more specific about the missing or incorrect parts?

#5 5 years ago

Yes there's no way the wires a supposed to twist like that when it turns something isn't right and it probably messed the gears or motor up

#6 5 years ago

Hmm, Ok I'll be pulling it out and taking a closer look then. Thanks.

#7 5 years ago

It looks as if at one point the trunk spun around a couple of times to twist the wire like that.

#8 5 years ago

There is a pin to stop the trunk from a 360 degree rotation. Do a search for "TOM trunk wires twist and break", it shows the pin and may have your answer to your problem.

2 weeks later
#9 5 years ago

So, I took the gearbox all apart again, re-greased and put it back together. I also straightened out the twisting wire issue.

I got it all back together and... she's still squealing. I now think it's a motor issue, it's got to be - it's not caught up an anything.

Are there alternatives to replacing the motor? Other than buying the whole gearbox assembly I mean.

#10 5 years ago

I believe Bryan Kelly can repair the motor. The squealing may not be from the gearbox and could be from the motor itself starting to go.

#11 5 years ago

The squealing could be the motor brushes. Some contact cleaner could help it. Make sure power is off, spray it with a towel under it.
Don't get contact cleaner on the playfield wood, it will cause staining.

Wait for it to dry and then test out.

#12 5 years ago

So spray the motor?

Like... in the holes? Yes, I'm a noob...

detail.png

#13 5 years ago

Actually, it's not just noise but it struggles to move the box when it squeals as well... not sure if cleaner would solve that.

#14 5 years ago

I would actually send the motor and gearbox to Kim:

http://www.kimballspinballs.com

He did a great job rebuilding mine.

Marc

#15 5 years ago
Quoted from robbiedoo:

So spray the motor?
Like... in the holes? Yes, I'm a noob...
detail.png (Click image to enlarge)

I agree with Marc. Kim will fix the motor and gearbox. One thing that you might want to try is instead of spraying in that hole that you listed, which is where the magnets and wiring are, you might want to take a toothpick with about a drop of lightweight oil and put it at the rear of the motor where the shaft sticks through the bushing and at the front where the shaft comes through. Those low-voltage DC motors will squeak at those bearing points.

I had a somewhat similar squeak happening with a MM drawbridge motor (and the motor was lifting the drawbridge slower than it should). I put a drop of radio-control engine "after-run" oil on both those points and the motor quieted right down. Sewing machine oil or an oil with teflon in it would work well too but the trick is to use as little as possible on both those points.

#16 5 years ago

Pull out the gearbox, clean gears and re-lube. Worked for my ToM; runs quickly and smoothly. Search for the thread using the Google --> win. Took me two hours because I am terrible at life. I bet you can do it faster and better.

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from Isjack:

Pull out the gearbox, clean gears and re-lube.

Quoted from robbiedoo:

So, I took the gearbox all apart again, re-greased and put it back together.

#18 5 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

I would actually send the motor and gearbox to Kim:

Yes, I think this is the way to go. I have made contact and am just looking at a few last things before I decide whether to send it off or buy the motor myself.

#19 5 years ago

Sorry, the scary clown avatar scares me into non-readership.
I also lose my ability to quote appropriately, apparently.

#20 5 years ago

Np, just means my avatar is doing its job.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 32.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside