Topic Stats

• 750 posts
  • 199 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 51 days ago by harryhoudini
  • Topic is favorited by 58 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 201 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

B8989610-FE1D-411F-8A39-0917BA32624E (resized).jpeg
20190217_124203 (resized).jpg
IMG_5877 (resized).JPG
image (resized).jpg
Trunk Opto Board Cable (resized).JPG
Cable (resized).jpg
20181208_130847 (resized).jpg
20181208_130824 (resized).jpg
20181208_130808 (resized).jpg
20181123_121557 (resized).jpg
20181123_115252 (resized).jpg
ToM 6 Billion (resized).jpg
20180224_195318 (resized).jpg
mould.pdf (PDF preview)
IMG_3529a (resized).jpg
trunk_board_installed (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

18 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 750 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 15.
#151 3 years ago

Once you're ready, you can put me down for one of the new opto boards as well. Super slick, that's a beautiful thing.

#152 3 years ago
Quoted from jsa:

Once you're ready, you can put me down for one of the new opto boards as well. Super slick, that's a beautiful thing.

Thanks!!!

Here is a short video of this board on my test rig

#153 3 years ago
Quoted from bstyles:

1) ...
2) Does the trunk opto board include the Leon's board logic? ie. a single board to rule them all?

NO, it does not, BUT do you think of a board like this?

#154 3 years ago

Integrated boards are cool.....unless one of them takes a fatal dump and you need to now replace two instead of one.

Kudos and nice job on everything. One board or two its a long overdue solution to an old problem and glad you are tackling it.
If you want or need a beta tester let me know!

#155 3 years ago

A few quick notes about using this with our auto eddy board.

1) Our auto board cleans up all the problems with the original manual eddy board. No missed balls, and no adjusting. This is a different problem than this board is solving.

2) Because this design cuts power to the eddy board, our board will take a few seconds to power back up. This may cause problems during game play, as the trunk will not register hits immediately after it turns.

3) The fix is simple, but does require a change to the board. Instead of interrupting power to the eddy board, it should interrupt the signal.

If anybody sees this problem, let us know and we'll work on the fix.

#156 3 years ago
Quoted from german-pinball:

NO, it does not, BUT do you think of a board like this?
» YouTube video

Seems like a 'cleaner' solution to offer one board instead of two, especially if the price is reasonable.

I'd prefer to buy the 'single board solution' and then I'd simply bag my original opto board and place it in the coin box....

#157 3 years ago

I'm in for one, although I can't help but wonder.. why is a software solution so impossible for this? Aren't there some people out there who can homebrew a few hacks?

#158 3 years ago
Quoted from PamPinbits:

A few quick notes about using this with our auto eddy board.
1) Our auto board cleans up all the problems with the original manual eddy board. No missed balls, and no adjusting. This is a different problem than this board is solving.
2) Because this design cuts power to the eddy board, our board will take a few seconds to power back up. This may cause problems during game play, as the trunk will not register hits immediately after it turns.
3) The fix is simple, but does require a change to the board. Instead of interrupting power to the eddy board, it should interrupt the signal.
If anybody sees this problem, let us know and we'll work on the fix.

As said, there are 2 prototype-boards on the way to canea. I think, in the final version, we will use the version with cutting the signal-line - imho the much more cleaner version and there is no need, to change anything on the eddy-board.

We will see, what the test bring in a real machine. ...

#160 3 years ago

I'm still wrapping my head around this one. That being said, we all love easter eggs, so don't hold back if you can figure out how to put one in.

#161 3 years ago

Here is the list:
njgsx96
DavidPinballWizz
Magicchiz
canea
lyzanxia
CraigC
MMP
bstyles
Rum-Z
EvanDickson
Kiwipinhead
DB62
Out-West
PinBallMagician
jsa (2)
rotordave
EternalLife
Bskinner46
Q-Dog

Hi. If it's not too late I would be in for one.

Michael

#162 3 years ago
Quoted from Radius118:

Hi. If it's not too late I would be in for one.
Michael

You are in the list ... before I do not tell it is not to late ... the boards are already on the way to the US (canea) for testing ....

#163 3 years ago

I would like one of these boards also.

#164 3 years ago

Salut,

I'm always impressed what people are doing for our hobby.
I'm in as well for one of the boards.
Thanks a lot.

#165 3 years ago

You are in the list ... before I do not tell it is not to late ... the boards are already on the way to the US (canea) for testing ....

Great!

I will keep an eye on this thread to see what develops on assembled vs kit etc.

Thanks,
Michael

#166 3 years ago

If you really want to test one send one to me and I will install it in the TOM at Modern Pinball!

#167 3 years ago

I can assemble one and beta test the snot out of it......

#168 3 years ago
Quoted from jsa:

I'm still wrapping my head around this one. That being said, we all love easter eggs, so don't hold back if you can figure out how to put one in.

He's referring to the Volkswagen scandal, where they built cheats into the emissions tests.

#169 3 years ago
Quoted from EvanDickson:

He's referring to the Volkswagen scandal, where they built cheats into the emissions tests.

Yes, I was trying for humor but completely failed.

2 weeks later
#170 3 years ago

Any feedback yet?

#171 3 years ago

Update: There has been a delay in this project due to the mail service in Frankfurt losing and then damaging the box that the proto boards were in. After many phone calls, Ingo was finally able to recover the box. The good news is that he was able to repair some minimal damage to the boards and will be getting them back into the mail soon (where they will hopefully fare better than the first trip).

So, hang tight, guys. I'm as excited as you are to see this project kick off, and I know Ingo is doing his best to make it all succeed! If all goes well there should be a report on how the boards function in a machine in 2 weeks!

#172 3 years ago

Sorry to hear that and thanks for the update.

#173 3 years ago

Put me in for 1 each of the new boards please!

#174 3 years ago

Thank you for the update

#175 3 years ago
Quoted from canea:

Update: There has been a delay in this project due to the mail service in Frankfurt losing and then damaging the box that the proto boards were in. After many phone calls, Ingo was finally able to recover the box. The good news is that he was able to repair some minimal damage to the boards and will be getting them back into the mail soon (where they will hopefully fare better than the first trip).
So, hang tight, guys. I'm as excited as you are to see this project kick off, and I know Ingo is doing his best to make it all succeed! If all goes well there should be a report on how the boards function in a machine in 2 weeks!

Glad to hear that its not just the USPS that can loose or damage packages in transit.
The USPS can break rocks, then loose them.

#176 3 years ago

I could still need a bit of help.

Could please someone do some measurements with a tool as seen in the pic below (sorry, do not know the word for this tool in english) and measure the diameter of the opto-interruptor-wheel and the thickness of the material; is there a difference between an aluminium interruptor or a plastic interruptor?

Second, what is the exact diameter of the screw shown in pic2.

Many thanks in advance!!!!!!

MASSE.JPG

MASSE 2.JPG

#177 3 years ago

UPDATE:
The boards are in the US (NEW York) since 2 days (... "Your item has been processed through our sort facility in ISC NEW YORK NY(USPS) at 3:50 pm on October 24, 2015. ...")

#178 3 years ago

I could still need a bit of help.
Could please someone do some measurements with a tool as seen in the pic below (sorry, do not know the word for this tool in english) and measure the diameter of the opto-interruptor-wheel and the thickness of the material; is there a difference between an aluminium interruptor or a plastic interruptor?
Second, what is the exact diameter of the screw shown in pic2.
Many thanks in advance!!!!!!

The word you're looking for is a caliper. Unfortunately, I don't have one. Anyone else? They're pretty cheap ($15) so I could grab one if no one else has one handy.

#179 3 years ago
Quoted from jsa:

The word you're looking for is a caliper. Unfortunately, I don't have one. Anyone else? They're pretty cheap ($15) so I could grab one if no one else has one handy.

Thanks for caliper - if I put in google translate, I get the german word for saddle

By the way: I just saw, that the package has arrived today in the town, where canea lives, so I think, he will get all boards today ... I cannot wait, to see, how they run in a real ToM ....

#180 3 years ago

Could please someone do some measurements with a tool as seen in the pic below

My metal opto interrupter is on my game so I could not get a thickness measurement, but I measured its diameter and I also took measurements from an original plastic interrupter.

Metal interrupter diameter: 66.40 mm
Plastic interrupter diameter: 66.30 mm

Plastic interrupter wall thickness: 1.70 mm average at the middle. It is thinner at the top edge and thicker at the bottom.

Bolt diameter, this appears to be a standard US 10-32 bolt. 4.00 mm diameter or 5/32" or .156".

All measurements done with a caliper.

#181 3 years ago
Quoted from stangbat:

My metal opto interrupter is on my game so I could not get a thickness measurement, but I measured its diameter and I also took measurements from an original plastic interrupter.
Metal interrupter diameter: 66.40 mm
Plastic interrupter diameter: 66.30 mm
Plastic interrupter wall thickness: 1.70 mm average at the middle. It is thinner at the top edge and thicker at the bottom.
Bolt diameter, this appears to be a standard US 10-32 bolt. 1.70 mm diameter or 5/32" or .156".
All measurements done with a caliper.

I thank you so much!!!!

The gap width of the optos I want to use is 3,1mm. 3,1mm - 1,7mm = 1,4mm ./. 2 = 0,7mm, so we have air of 0,7mm to both sides, so that the opto interruptor wheel should not scratch at the optos (see attached pic).

Curious what the thickness of the aluminium wheel is.

IMO no need to use the more expensive wide slot optos, when the hardware design is done perfect.

Nethertheless I have the option on the board, to use "normal" optos TCST1103 or wide slot optos.

I improved the layout a bit (now has a cleaner look) and the arrangement of the diodes bottom left is nicer and easier to place the parts, so this board is nice DIY-soldering board.

Trunk interrupter wheel.JPG

#182 3 years ago

I like the DIY angle. it should make shipping easier cheaper too.

-c

#183 3 years ago
Quoted from stangbat:

Bolt diameter, this appears to be a standard US 10-32 bolt. 1.70 mm diameter or 5/32" or .156".

Could you please check the 1,70mm. It seems to be a much bigger bolt, about 4,5-5mm.

#184 3 years ago

Could you please check the 1,70mm. It seems to be a much bigger bolt, about 4,5-5mm.

Sorry, I re-typed the wall thickness measurement as the bolt diameter. Should read:

Bolt diameter, this appears to be a standard US 10-32 bolt. 4.00 mm diameter or 5/32" or .156".

I corrected my original post.

#185 3 years ago
Quoted from stangbat:

Sorry, I re-typed the wall thickness measurement as the bolt diameter. Should read:
I corrected my original post.

Thanks!!!!

Canea got the boards today, if we have luck, he will post a few first fotos today ...

#186 3 years ago

The boards all arrived safely at last!

Both Leon boards work great! As far as I can tell, they work identically. If there's any difference during play it would probably take an engineer and some instruments to figure it out (not me, in other words). There's not a lot to look at when you're playing as it's a case of the boards eliminating behavior rather than doing something you can see. The biggest change in play is that, since the trunk no longer registers hits while in motion, you will need to hit the ball into the trunk to start each illusion - no more hitting the trunk while it's moving for instant mode start. Not a bad thing, particularly if ToM is a keeper for you and you're skilled at the game. You can also see in the video how the trunk immediately starts detecting hits again once it comes to stop - very cool.

Ingo also included a test LED string for me to try out with the connector he's added to the boards for extra LEDs. It does work (see video) but it's going to be up to you all to figure out what you want to attach and where in Theatre you could add LEDs. It's kind of tight around the trunk - not a lot of good areas for lights and I don't think putting anything inside the trunk would really be that great, but I'm sure there's a solution there somewhere.

So, major props to Ingo for getting these built. I think you all are going to be really happy with these - proto boards look awesome and no doubt production boards will be even nicer. They attach very easy to the trunk opto board and installation takes all of 2 minutes.

Will get to Ingo's trunk opto board very soon - it looks great as well. In the meantime, here are some pics and a video I put together.

leon1.jpg
leon1-2.jpg
leon2.jpg
leon2-2.jpg

#187 3 years ago

#188 3 years ago

Looks great!!

#189 3 years ago
Quoted from canea:

The boards all arrived safely at last!
Both Leon boards work great! As far as I can tell, they work identically. If there's any difference during play it would probably take an engineer and some instruments to figure it out (not me, in other words). There's not a lot to look at when you're playing as it's a case of the boards eliminating behavior rather than doing something you can see. The biggest change in play is that, since the trunk no longer registers hits while in motion, you will need to hit the ball into the trunk to start each illusion - no more hitting the trunk while it's moving for instant mode start. Not a bad thing, particularly if ToM is a keeper for you and you're skilled at the game. You can also see in the video how the trunk immediately starts detecting hits again once it comes to stop - very cool.
Ingo also included a test LED string for me to try out with the connector he's added to the boards for extra LEDs. It does work (see video) but it's going to be up to you all to figure out what you want to attach and where in Theatre you could add LEDs. It's kind of tight around the trunk - not a lot of good areas for lights and I don't think putting anything inside the trunk would really be that great, but I'm sure there's a solution there somewhere.
So, major props to Ingo for getting these built. I think you all are going to be really happy with these - proto boards look awesome and no doubt production boards will be even nicer. They attach very easy to the trunk opto board and installation takes all of 2 minutes.
Will get to Ingo's trunk opto board very soon - it looks great as well. In the meantime, here are some pics and a video I put together.

WOW man, excellent write up, perfect pics and super video.

I think, as the final version, I will take "version2" (cut the signal line), because it´s the bit "cleaner" design and we have full compabilty with the original eddy board and also with the super pinbits auto-eddy-board.

#190 3 years ago

Thanks for posting the video and can't wait till these go into production.

#191 3 years ago

I will surely buy one for my ToM. A DIY kit or already preassembled does not matter to me... Thanks for developing the upgraded trunk board!!

#192 3 years ago
Quoted from DallasPinball:

I will surely buy one for my ToM. A DIY kit or already preassembled does not matter to me... Thanks for developing the upgraded trunk board!!

You are already in the list - post #83 ...

#193 3 years ago

Ingo is working on a replacement trunk opto board at the same time as the Leon boards for those that need a replacement board. He assures me that this new opto board is of the highest quality and corrects original B/W design flaws. I tried out the new opto board today. Aside of from some physical sizing issues that Ingo is correcting, the board performed error free. I played some games with the new opto board and the leon v.2 installed and no problems with either. Here is a picture of the new opto board installed, as well as a video. The videos shot of gameplay have both new boards installed. Great work again, Ingo!

optos4.jpg

#194 3 years ago

I have a question, a few times during multi-ball I have had a ball that gets stuck on the right side of the trunk and center ramp. When this happens it locks the trunk and I have to turn off the game to fix it. Will this mod reverse the trunk so the ball will come out or will I still have to turn off the game to get the ball out. I am still on board to purchase your trunk error mod.

#195 3 years ago
Quoted from Bskinner46:

I have a question, a few times during multi-ball I have had a ball that gets stuck on the right side of the trunk and center ramp. When this happens it locks the trunk and I have to turn off the game to fix it. Will this mod reverse the trunk so the ball will come out or will I still have to turn off the game to get the ball out. I am still on board to purchase your trunk error mod.

No, this is another ball of wax altogether, and the Leon board will not stop the ball from getting stuck to the side of the trunk or reverse it if it does. Your best bet if that happens is always to turn off the game as fast as possible. It's annoying though. What I ended up doing was cutting a short length of plastic tubing (like you get at Home Depot or where ever), making a small hole in it and jamming it down onto the post near the trunk. Since I've done that I haven't had a single ball get stuck there. I think it's still possible if you hit the ball just right, but it vastly reduces the possibility. Hope that helps.

Edit: Though after thinking about this, I think the Leon board might actually reduce stuck balls in that the trunk never reverses when hit, so it's cutting down on some trunk movement that could trap the ball when the ball is right there beside it.

#196 3 years ago

pic

trunk.jpg

#197 3 years ago

Sweet work guys!

rd

#198 3 years ago

I know I'm on the list for Leon's board. I would purchase the opto board also. My ToM is apart just waiting for some new technology.
Thanks for doing this.

#199 3 years ago

Wow.
Just wow.
Amazing work guys. And that video shows off all the hard work you all put into this board brilliantly.

#200 3 years ago

My thanks especially go to canea!!! Without his help testing the prototypes and doing all the pics and the great videos, all could not have been realized that way. It was perfect, working together with him, the e-mail-contact and corresponding with him was uncomparable perfect, as I never had that before. THANKS!!!!

By the way:
Production will start in about 3-4 days

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D MODS
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Machine - For Sale
Pittsburgh, PA
There are 750 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 15.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside