20181208_130824 (resized).jpg
20181208_130808 (resized).jpg
20181123_121557 (resized).jpg
20181123_115252 (resized).jpg
ToM 6 Billion (resized).jpg
20180224_195318 (resized).jpg
mould.pdf (PDF preview)

Topic index (key posts)

18 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 807 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 17.
#651 6 years ago

Installed mine today. Works perfectly!
Also bought the DMD saver and that also work great!

Thank you!

2 months later
#652 6 years ago

where i can buy this card ?

2 weeks later
#654 6 years ago

I installed mine yesterday and it's a great fix for TOM.
Ordered a DIY single leon board and received an already soldered one, without any extra cost.
I really apreciate that. Thanks a lot Ingo. Great job.

2 months later
#655 6 years ago

Bad news. After a year of playing, a trunk hit lead to the ball escaping the subway. Because the Ultimate Trunk Error board extends beyond the trunk assembly, it creates a shelf for the ball to land on. That shorted out my board.

In the photo I am holding the ball with a magnet. As you can see, on my machine, a ball can fit through the space between the playfield and the subway. In the other photo, you can see how the ball can land and sit on top of the extended circuit board (I put the ball there for the photo - when I original removed the ball, it was in a different position).

There was discussion early on, about putting the circuitry on the other side of the board - but that was problematic.

First question: can any/all of you fit a ball through the gap between the subway and the playfield (as I can)? If so, you run the risk of the same kind of issue.

Second question: suggestions on a fix? I have some bits of plastic, and some TAP acrylic cement (https://www.tapplastics.com/product/repair_products/plastic_adhesives/tap_acrylic_cement/130). I could weld a piece of plastic to close off the spacing. Alternately, I could screw a couple of posts into the wood, and put a band between them.

IMG_3523 (resized).jpgIMG_3523 (resized).jpg

IMG_3524 (resized).jpgIMG_3524 (resized).jpg

trunk_board_proposal (resized).jpgtrunk_board_proposal (resized).jpg

trunk_board_installed (resized).jpegtrunk_board_installed (resized).jpeg

#656 6 years ago

Hmm, I've had balls bounce out before, but not since installing my trunk board. Did the short kill your board, or was it ok after removing the ball?

#657 6 years ago

The board was not damaged. F116 blew. After replacing the fuse, everything works fine. I am definitely going to address this. I am not convinced that this won't cause a more significant problem if it happens again.

Just something for everyone to be aware of.

I am going to put two screws, and a band to keep the ball in the subway. I'll take a picture when I have it installed.

It's kind of a hack, but that ball isn't coming back out of that subway any more.

IMG_3529a (resized).jpgIMG_3529a (resized).jpg

#658 6 years ago
Quoted from UltraPeepi:

The board was not damaged. F116 blew. After replacing the fuse, everything works fine. I am definitely going to address this. I am not convinced that this won't cause a more significant problem if it happens again.
Just something for everyone to be aware of.
I am going to put two screws, and a band to keep the ball in the subway. I'll take a picture when I have it installed.
It's kind of a hack, but that ball isn't coming back out of that subway any more.

I can see how the cut-out for the trunk eddy sensor can allow the ball to escape from the subway.

What about installing a piece of acrylic over the eddy sensor cutout in a way as to keep the ball from escaping?

A small piece would do it. and maybe less of a hack.

#659 6 years ago
Quoted from UltraPeepi:

Bad news. After a year of playing, a trunk hit lead to the ball escaping the subway. Because the Ultimate Trunk Error board extends beyond the trunk assembly, it creates a shelf for the ball to land on. That shorted out my board.
In the photo I am holding the ball with a magnet. As you can see, on my machine, a ball can fit through the space between the playfield and the subway. In the other photo, you can see how the ball can land and sit on top of the extended circuit board (I put the ball there for the photo - when I original removed the ball, it was in a different position).
There was discussion early on, about putting the circuitry on the other side of the board - but that was problematic.
First question: can any/all of you fit a ball through the gap between the subway and the playfield (as I can)? If so, you run the risk of the same kind of issue.
Second question: suggestions on a fix? I have some bits of plastic, and some TAP acrylic cement (https://www.tapplastics.com/product/repair_products/plastic_adhesives/tap_acrylic_cement/130). I could weld a piece of plastic to close off the spacing. Alternately, I could screw a couple of posts into the wood, and put a band between them.

Thanks for giving this hint.

Sometimes things happen, that you cannot forsee.

The suggested solutions to prevent the ball to escape from the subway are very good.

As a second solution I would suggest, to protect the backside of the PCB from contacting the solder points, when the ball is laying there as shown in your pictures.

I would suggest, to cut out a piece of fishpaper (available at Great Plains Electronics) and put it on the backside of the board, using the 2 upper mounting holes.

Attached is a mould as PDF file. Print it out 1 and put it behind the board on the backside and there should be no way, to cause a short circuit.

mould.pdfmould.pdf

#660 6 years ago

Thanks Ingo. I think I'm going to do both: fill the gap from the eddie board (which allows the ball to escape), and cover the back side of the circuit board.

1 week later
#661 6 years ago

Are these still available?

#662 6 years ago
Quoted from Fooped:

Are these still available?

YES, sure - simply send me am PM.

#663 6 years ago

All-in-one board ordered. thanks for the fast response GP!

1 week later
#664 6 years ago

Has anyone run a trunk test with Ingo's board in place? I'm trying to troubleshoot some gremlins in my TOM, which include the trunk occasionally going non-responsive to hits until I restart the machine. I ran a trunk test and while the trunk moves and stops perfectly, it's not reporting switches or position correctly. I'm wondering if this is just a result of the special board, or if it's somehow a wierd clue to my pin misbehaving.

#665 6 years ago
Quoted from EvanDickson:

Has anyone run a trunk test with Ingo's board in place? I'm trying to troubleshoot some gremlins in my TOM, which include the trunk occasionally going non-responsive to hits until I restart the machine. I ran a trunk test and while the trunk moves and stops perfectly, it's not reporting switches or position correctly. I'm wondering if this is just a result of the special board, or if it's somehow a wierd clue to my pin misbehaving.
» YouTube video

Not normal.

Check your connection to the board.

Check, if your 12V digital are ok.

#666 6 years ago
Quoted from german-pinball:

Not normal.
Check your connection to the board.
Check, if your 12V digital are ok.

12V is reading 14.4V, which I think is ok. I think the trunk test is a red herring. After fiddling with it for a bit, I think the trunk registers the position, then overshoots by about 1mm, and the rest of the software is too slow to react to this so I never see results on the DMD. If I rotate the interupter with my finger back that 1mm, I see the registration on the test. I would bet I have an aging connector(s) at the MPU / driver board level affects the eddy sensor and trunk hit sensor.

#667 6 years ago

Just ordered the boards this will be a great fix !

1 week later
#668 6 years ago

Just ordered! Looking forward to getting in

#669 6 years ago

I also ordered this board and must say works perfect.
No trunk problems anymore till 1 week.

Can i use Rom 1.5C with this new board? (https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-theatre-of-magic-custom-competition-rom)

Thanks

20180224_195318 (resized).jpg20180224_195318 (resized).jpg

#670 6 years ago

Just installed the combo board along with an aluminum opto interrupter. I'd say it works just fine...

ToM 6 Billion (resized).jpgToM 6 Billion (resized).jpg

#671 6 years ago

I have installed Leons add on board as I already the GLM opto board. Took time to clean motor as well, but I still get the trunk to stop sometimes and wont fix until a reboot. I have the aluminum disk as well. Think its the GLM board and I should order leons complete package? or am I missing something else.

1 week later
#672 6 years ago

Ordered my board this morning.

#673 6 years ago

I have installed Leons add on board as I already the GLM opto board. Took time to clean motor as well, but I still get the trunk to stop sometimes and wont fix until a reboot. I have the aluminum disk as well. Think its the GLM board and I should order leons complete package? or am I missing something else.

#674 6 years ago
Quoted from bsbdmd83:

The GLM Board is a very good board too and the Leon-extension-board works with the GLM Board. Anybody did report a problem so far.

Could you please post a photo of your installation. Did you connect all cables the correct way??

#675 6 years ago
Quoted from dirkhermans:

I also ordered this board and must say works perfect.
No trunk problems anymore till 1 week.
Can i use Rom 1.5C with this new board? (https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-theatre-of-magic-custom-competition-rom)
Thanks

Hey, this is NOT my board!!! Seems, that someone copied at least the Leon-Part of my board, only arranged the connectors on the right side in another way. Where did you get this board? Just curious, as anybody asked me, if I agree to copy my layout.

Seems, that on the opto-part of the board, there are used normal optos TCST1103 without any extra logic, further not wide slot optos are used.

#676 6 years ago

Will get some pics of the install to show you- thanks for your input

#677 6 years ago
Quoted from bsbdmd83:

Will get some pics of the install to show you- thanks for your input

First check this:

INSTALLATION OF THE "LEON"-BOARD
1.)
Unplug the harness from Motor Driver PCB J2 (this harness goes to the motor)

2.)
Plug this harness into connector J2 on the Leon Board.

3.)
Take the with the board provided harness with the 2 wires (red/black). Put the side with the black plastic into connector J2-N of the Leon-Board. Put the other side of this harness into J2 of the Motor-Driver-PCB.

4.)
Unplug the harness from Eddy Sensor PCB J1 (this harness comes from the CPU-Board). See a photo of J1 ond the eddy Sensor PCB here: https://images.pinside.com/8/d3/8d36ac55dd365ecca203554020276055a3e3c386/resized/large/8d36ac55dd365ecca203554020276055a3e3c386.jpg

5.)
Plug this harness into connector J1 on the Leon Board.

6.)
Take the with the board provided harness with the 4 wires (green/green/black/red). Put the side with the black plastic into connector J1-N of the Leon-Board. Put the other side of this harness into J1 of the Eddy Sensor PCB.

7.)
Ready – enjoy your new board.

You cannot do anything wrong, all connectors are coded!!! MACHINE ALWAYS OFF WHEN WORKING UNDER THE PLAYFIELD!!!

#678 6 years ago

Hi Ingo Kramer and everyone else

The 1.5C software mod for Theatre of Magic was developed with no knowledge of this hardware solution being developed as a production product. And after the fact, I intentionally did not promote the ROM in this thread. Respecting you work. And please understand, this is a software only solution.

I became aware of the TOM Trunk mess at some point in tournaments (years ago). And also knew about the Leon prototype from visiting the webpage for his Test ROMs (thanks, and rest in peace). So during developement on a for-tournament software mod for TOM, I came up with an entirely different solution. The Trunk may be put back into running state, by opening/closing the coin door. Thus, making it possible to continue a competition game as it were. After a Trunk incident.

Of course this modded ROM can cooperate with the hardware solution. If that is your flavour.

One last comment on the mod. The rule changes are not that great, honestly. They do not really deal with the most obvious competition issue of the game, may be too drastic and makes some stuff totally irrelevant. Consider it baby steps. An early efford.

#679 6 years ago
Quoted from soren:

One last comment on the mod. The rule changes are not that great, honestly.

I think we appreciate any work that's done to address issues on our games this long after their company is gone. I triggered the 1.4H bug that rebooted the game during a multiball on my highest score I ever had, so for the rest of us, bugs like that might be more useful than a tournament ROM, just sayin'...

1 month later
#680 6 years ago

I've been communicating with Ingo about the boards through PM. I can't wait to get mine and get this right!

1 week later
#681 5 years ago

Just contacted Ingo and he is assembling a board for me. Looking forward to getting this pesky problem fixed.

2 weeks later
#682 5 years ago

Just ordered a trunk opto board. Looking forward to installing it on my TOM.

3 weeks later
#683 5 years ago

Just ordered my Trunk opto-board with Leon integrated, looking forward to the fix!
Thanks Ingo!

2 weeks later
#684 5 years ago

I got my board today. Will be installing soon.

#685 5 years ago

Quick and easy install. Works great! Thanks Ingo!

4 weeks later
#686 5 years ago

For anyone wondering if these are still available. I don’t think I need it, but just ordered one for peace of mind.

#688 5 years ago

I do like that song.

1 month later
#689 5 years ago

Just purchased my Leon's trunk fix boards from Ingo. Can't wait for this fix

3 weeks later
#690 5 years ago

I just ordered one too. Looking forward to getting it installed

1 week later
#691 5 years ago

I used to own a TOM with a Leon board in it. I sold all my pinballs and got out of the hobby. Well, I'm back in and the first game I bought was a TOM and the first mod I bought was this board. It is a must own for $70 as it entire changes the game. Can't wait to get the board so I don't have to hold my breath while the trunk is spinning and I'm worried about hitting it. Thanks Leon!!!

1 week later
#692 5 years ago

Dumb question, but because I bought the Leons Fix combo board, I shouldn’t have to change out the actual original eddy board with a new smart eddy board also- should I. I’m under the impression that this is a cure all for all trunk problems

#693 5 years ago
Quoted from nightsearcher:

Dumb question, but because I bought the Leons Fix combo board, I shouldn’t have to change out the actual original eddy board with a new smart eddy board also- should I. I’m under the impression that this is a cure all for all trunk problems

No need to change the eddy board. As long as your eddy board worked before your trunk problems should be fixed.

#694 5 years ago

Had to give the trunk eddy board a tap to get it it working , before I took it apart to change the board

#695 5 years ago
Quoted from nightsearcher:

Had to give the trunk eddy board a tap to get it it working , before I took it apart to change the board

If the eddy boards are hard to keep in adjustment it could be the pot on the boards are going bad. You can get the pots from digitech and replace them yourself for about $1.00,well worth the investment. Much better than spending $70 per board from some suppliers.

#696 5 years ago

Thanks fiberdude120. If it goes out again , I’ll change the pot

1 week later
#697 5 years ago

Just ordered this board from German-Pinball, can't wait to get it installed

2 weeks later
#698 5 years ago

Who is Ingo ? And how can I order a Leon board fix ?

#699 5 years ago

Ingo is https://pinside.com/pinball/community/pinsiders/german-pinball.

Try to send him a PM to order.

I did so and had a nice phone chat with him today. Very nice guy, very enthusiastic and helpful. My order is placed and I am looking forward to get the board installed in my ToM.

#700 5 years ago

Ok, so I've been having some trouble with my Pinbits auto eddy board I think. It's registering false hits when the trunk turns around for multi ball. I have the Ultimate Trunk Opto Board rev 2.0 installed and I see that it has a spot at the top for the Eddy Signal. Can I unplug the pinbits board and plug it into this? If so, do i just disconnect the other cable going to the auto eddy board? I bought this machine with the newer boards already installed and don't know what I'm doing. I'm scared I'll break something.

20181123_115252 (resized).jpg20181123_115252 (resized).jpg

20181123_121557 (resized).jpg20181123_121557 (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Machine - For Sale
Sandy Springs, GA
$ 130.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wilsonville, OR
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 11.95
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Wanted
€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

€ 150.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
TheDudeMods

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Manteca, CA
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 275.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 38.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 33.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 807 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 17.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tom-trunk-error-leons-fix-anyone-done-this/page/14?hl=djshakes and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.