Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by WIKED
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 6 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_20160731_140849_(resized).jpg
IMG_20160731_140843_(resized).jpg
4.jpg
3.jpg
2.jpg
1.jpg

#1 4 years ago

Thought I had everything sorted out with this one. Played several test games and everything worked fine. A few days later and the trap door does not kick up high enough to let balls eject. All other coils and switches appear to be working. So far I've checked fuses, cleaned the trapdoor post shaft & coil sleeve and reflowed solder to the coil lugs. Same result- it's just giving a weak pulse, not strong enough to kick up all the way.

Is it possible that the coil just needs to be replaced? What are the next steps for troubleshooting? Thanks for any ideas.

#2 4 years ago

Do you have the little rubber grommet on the bottom of the plunger? Usually when coils aren't able to move enough, it's because the metal plunger isn't far enough into the coil.

Coils don't get weak. They either work or they don't, generally.

Pics if you have them!

#3 4 years ago

Not sure which angle would be most helpful so here are a few pics.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg

#4 4 years ago

Grommet is there. OK. That's good.

Let's explore mechanical issues. Does the plunger move smoothly and easily by hand?

One other thing; in test mode, the solenoid will not stay up, they pulse it too short for it to stay up. To test this, you'll need to be in gameplay mode.

Marc

#5 4 years ago

Oh,

I see it. You had your bracket welded. When it was welded, it's now angled back. Gently bend it forward so the plunger sits higher in the coil. I just fixed a friends Road Show with the same issue. Bend it forward.

Worst case, you break it and replace with Kerry's:

http://www.mantisamusements.com/tom1.htm

#6 4 years ago

Yes, it was welded and previously had no grommet. I'll give that a try tomorrow and report back.

#7 4 years ago

Good luck! I hope this resolves it.

#8 4 years ago

Made a very slight adjustment to the angle and that did the trick. Thanks very much!

#9 4 years ago

Your coil on the left is missing the coil stop.

LTG : )™

#10 4 years ago

LTG,

You sure? Look at the link to Mantis; other than the weld, those look the same.

#11 4 years ago

Thanks for pointing that out Lloyd. Probably time for a mantis replacement.

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from MMP:

Made a very slight adjustment to the angle and that did the trick. Thanks very much!

So glad to hear that! Enjoy your TOM. I just treated mine to bright white Titan silicon rings and a cleaning.

Marc

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

those look the same.

Look again. Two coils, two plungers, should be two coil stops. These break off easy on TOM.

LTG : )

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Look again. Two coils, two plungers, should be two coil stops. These break off easy on TOM.

Mine looks like this picture of a NOS assembly:

http://bayareaamusements.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=BAA&Screen=PROD&Product_Code=GS-TOMA19939

There isn't a stop on the other coil, only a bracket/grommet for the one on the right. Are you seeing something else?

Another clearer pic:

http://www.pinballinfo.com/community/data/MetaMirrorCache/img.photobucket.com_albums_v660_elrikos_theatre_20of_20magic_202012_null_zpsf87bef0c.jpg

Marc

#15 4 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

Mine looks like this picture of a NOS assembly:

You are right. I apologize for the confusion. The OP's picture looked different.

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

You are right. I apologize for the confusion. The OP's picture looked different.

No worries! You know SO much more than I do, I totally wanted to check this out and make sure my machine wasn't broken, too!

Thanks, LTG!

Marc

8 months later
#17 3 years ago

Interestingly my TOM which I have owned for over 2 yrs has never had a rubber grommet. The bracket doesn't even have a hole for a grommet but it has worked fine until last week.
Now it is too weak to lift up the trap door. I replaced the cool sleeve and cleaned everything but it is still too weak to lift up the door unless I lift the PF in the vertical position and have the coil test on and then it will work as per normal. It moves freely etc.

I will drill a hole in the bracket and put in a grommet but in the meantime does anyone have any ideas?

#18 3 years ago

Picture please? If it's too weak, not enough metal is inside of the coil.

#19 3 years ago

I just tested it while in game mode and it works about 19/20. I did get stuck once where the coil that pops the ball up was doing so without the trap door open. After about 7 tries the trap door opened and then the ball popped out.

Maybe there is a switch which needs some adjustment.

I will definitely drill a hole in the bracket and install the grommet to be safe and reduce some vibration anyway but it's strange it worked for at least 2yrs (probably a whole lot more) without it.

Added: Installed a new trap door with new springs and retaining clips. Then played a few games and the trap door now works 100%. You have to love pinball.

IMG_20160731_140843_(resized).jpg
IMG_20160731_140849_(resized).jpg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 11.95

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside