IMG_0324 (resized).JPG
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider arcadegarage.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

Trunk is giving me trouble. In test mode, the trunk starts off really slow and then picks up after a few tries and acts fluidly. It consistently overshoots and errors in test mode. When it errors, it won't let you go left or right, then it randomly does allow you to begin the process again. Sometimes the trunk spins endlessly. The new interruptor disc does have slight play, meaning that you can move it by hand slightly after it has stopped moving, but it's not enough to bring back to the sensor so I can't imagine that being too much play.

When playing a game, the trunk doesn't move at all sometimes. After it's ready to start an illusion and you put the ball in the trunk hole, nothing happens except the ball keeps getting kicked out of the trap door.

We replaced the trunk opto board with a new one from Great Lakes Modular. New stainless opto interruptor from Marco too. Took apart the entire trunk and looked at the gears...no missing teeth. Had plenty of greased and we added some for good measure. I'm running the latest software (1.3X I think) and put electrical tape over the eddy sensor board LED (as others said that could throw off the trunk).

Adjusted all eddy sensors on the pf since some were slightly off. Probably has nothing to do with the trunk but wanted to get it all going.

What's next? Trunk stop? Trunk motor? Trunk gear box? Trunk board?

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#4 7 years ago

Reseated. No change.

#7 7 years ago

Yes, have opened the gear box and regreased.

#8 7 years ago

Saturday morning bump...

1 week later
#12 7 years ago

Swapped the board with my MB. No change.

Then I noticed the wires were loose in the 4-prong connector (with only 2 wires) and both wires popped out so I replaced the connector. No change. Gets power because the red light on the board is on.

One wire to the motor broke off so I soldered that back on. No change.

The interruptor seems fine.

The trunk doesn't like to start up in trunk test. Needs a manual push. The it gets smoother and smoother, but still misses the stops, sometimes spins endlessly, and always shows an error on the dmd.

What's next?

#15 7 years ago

Never tried doing a factory reset. That must be an option in the menu though. I could try that.

The interruptor is brand new so I think we can rule that out as being bad, unless it's somehow not 100% installed on there. You can wiggle it a quarter inch or so when it's stationary. Is that normal for that piece or should it be adjusted?

The speed sounds like either a motor or gear issue to me. I'm about to order the next part. Just not sure which. The motor is cheap, but the gearbox is expensive. The gearbox looked fine when we saw it. No missing teeth. We regreased too.

#17 7 years ago

Have the metal interruptor, yes. Ok, so I'm gathering the fact that the interruptor can slightly wiggle is throwing it off and that's part of the problem. I'll try and readjust.

The trunk crawling in the beginning and then getting up to speed sounds mechanical to me. Either motor or gearbox, but I really am just guessing.

#20 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinphila:

I think you have a bad trunk board and bad motor.

Sure it wasn't who installed it in the first place? We were drinking that day.

I'll take a vid of the rest and post it. Thanks, guys.

#21 7 years ago

Here's a video I took of me turning it on and putting the trunk in test mode.

After turning the game on the first time, the trunk didn't move. After the second, the trunk crawled. After the third, which is the above video, the trunk started to move. I put it in test mode and it moved pretty well, but still missed its marks and showed errors all the way around. It didn't spin endlessly like usual which is interesting. You can hear me though trying to get the trunk to turn by pushing buttons but it won't go, so I have to turn it around and have it move the other way.

Here's one of the opto interruptor, boards, and trunk motor. The interruptor has slight play.

Here's a video of the trunk in test mode erroring like crazy and spinning endlessly without my holding anything.

And finally, the trunk gets stuck. Sometimes, not in this movie, it allows you to put the hole in the trunk but doesn't advance forward. It just continually spits the ball out from the trap door if you continue to shoot the ball in the trunk.

#23 7 years ago

I did the factory reset and swapped out the ribbon cable from driver to CPU from my MB. No change.

I should clarify that the play of the opto interruptor that I showed in a vid last night is not with the interruptor, but the shaft itself has that play. Not sure if that's normal or not.

I posted some pics below of the boards. No visible damage or leaky caps.

#26 7 years ago

I just can't imagine what else it could be except the mechanical side. The board doesn't seem to be bad. Maybe the trunk can't stop with the amount of play in the shaft of the trunk. The gears being slow sound like a mechanical problem either with the gears, the motor, or both.

I don't want to pay the $200-300 for one but do we think we've narrowed it down to that?

Where did you buy your gearbox and motor?

Does anyone rebuild and sell instead of having to buy new?

#28 7 years ago

You mean this? Marco's website says this is a stop. Didn't realize I was missing parts.

So that could fix the endless spinning problem. Could it fix the other problems too?

#33 7 years ago
Quoted from Out-West:

Yes, that stop is missing. Did you verify the trunk direction is in sync with screen during test.

Yes, the trunk is in sync.

1 month later
#34 7 years ago

Hey guys, ordered a total rebuild of the trunk.

-Installed new gearbox and motor. The old gearbox was definitely bad. The new gearbox doesn't crawl like the old.
-Installed new trunk stop.
-Installed new trunk cable.
-Played around with getting the trunk to Home, in all positions. Did trunk test in menu.
-Played around with the positions of the opto interruptor on the shaft. The dimple on the shaft of the new gearbox doesn't seem to be in the right place. It sits lower on the shaft and the interruptor just above it. Not sure if this matters.
-Tested the motor board and swapped it out with my MB. Board ok.
-Did not test the opto board but it is newer from Great Lakes modular. The optos register but the trunk continually goes passed each opto.
-Was thinking of swapping out the CPU and roms with my STTNG. Would this do anything?

Has the same problems as before. Trunk continually misses it's mark and ends up being 90 degrees off. Can't play a game with the trunk all messed up like that.

What has changed is:

-The trunk moves quickly and without warmup
-The new gearbox and motor sound strong
-The stop prevents the trunk from twisting endlessly

What's next?

#36 7 years ago

Yes.

The diagram showing what position the trunk should have been in was wrong.

#37 7 years ago

Weekend bump...

7 months later
#38 6 years ago

I revisited this game now that I have more time. I switched the red and black wires on the motor and guess what it works! So anyone having these problems check that out!

Ok, so I play the game to give it a test run and it looks like I'm having problems with the center targets. The ball goes into the trunk and just gets spit out the trap door. No credit dot, eddy sensors are fine.

I press the right target and it registers 2 things: center ramp targets and trough 1. The left target doesn't register at all. Underneath the pf the wiring looks weird. Can you guys have a look? There are diodes and the targets don't look to be wired right. What's it supposed to look like?

And could fixing this issue fix the rest?

Thanks!

IMG_0324 (resized).JPGIMG_0324 (resized).JPG

IMG_0325 (resized).JPGIMG_0325 (resized).JPG

IMG_0326 (resized).JPGIMG_0326 (resized).JPG

IMG_0327 (resized).JPGIMG_0327 (resized).JPG

IMG_0328 (resized).JPGIMG_0328 (resized).JPG

#39 6 years ago

Does anyone have a picture of the underside of their pf in this area they could share? The IPDB pic is old and unfocused. Thanks!

1 week later
#40 6 years ago

Begging please for some pics of the underside of your pf.

1 week later
#44 6 years ago

The miswiring of the targets was the reason why the game wasn't starting the illusion but only ejecting the ball from the trap door. It was linked to an opto and opto problems with this game and STTNG make things go haywire.

The miswiring of the motor and the missing stop was the problem with the trunk. I bet the original gearbox and motor were fine but I'm super happy with a new trunk overall. Who wouldn't be?

Game works 100% now! I hope this thread can help others as well. Thanks for all the help everyone!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 29.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 47.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 38.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
Sandy Springs, GA
$ 11.95
Machine - For Sale
Boca Raton, FL
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Manteca, CA
$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Wanted
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 275.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 33.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider arcadegarage.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tom-theatre-of-magic-trunk-woes?tu=arcadegarage and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.