(Topic ID: 51082)

TOM - Switch Matrix Column 6 dead ...what did I screw up?

By Rarehero

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

Hey guys - Column 6 of my TOM switch matrix isn't working...this takes out the slings, top lanes, and bumpers. Here's my guess to what may have caused it: I was switching out GI bulbs for LEDs...I was doing this from under the playfield by removing sockets (with the power on...yes, smack me). It's likely one of the sockets grazed a switch. So - if that's what indeed happened, what is it likely that I damaged? Switch diode or something on the CPU?

#2 10 years ago

You took out U20 on your CPU.

LTG : )

#3 10 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

You took out U20 on your CPU.
LTg : )

BLARGH! Well, I think I have some spares around here...

Though - I did just test the diode on the most likey spot where the grazing happened...and it was dead...so - fingers crossed, changing diode is cheap and easy.

EDIT:

YAY, U20 is socketed! I had a spare chip, put it in...all is working now.

Thanks Lloyd!

Are U20's always socketed or did i just get lucky?

#4 10 years ago

u20 cost 0.19 here each

Amount of people who read about this and still do it its crazy you can work with the machine on with #555's but not #44's

Well I get away with it

#5 10 years ago

Thanks for this thread, I have the exact same problem from doing the same thing.

Now.... what is a u20?

#6 10 years ago

u20 is the matrix column controller usually below the battery soldered or hopefully a socket already fitted tot he board.

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Nope had this happen on my BSD, had to desolder chip, install new socket, then u20...

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

On WPC-S and WPC-95 they are socketed by factory since they go out so much / so easily. On WPC they were not so if you see one socketed, it means that it was already replaced.

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

On WPC-S and WPC-95 they are socketed by factory since they go out so much / so easily. On WPC they were not so if you see one socketed, it means that it was already replaced.

Sweeeeet...yay, I got lucky!

#10 10 years ago

Hey,

Just a quick bit of advice. I had the same issue on my TZ; had to replace the ULN2708A (I think that's the chip), and it wasn't socketed. If you're in there on an older game and changing the chip out anyhow, throw a socket in there. You have to do the soldering anyhow, and makes it easier if it happens again...

Luke

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from lukerp:

Hey,
Just a quick bit of advice. I had the same issue on my TZ; had to replace the ULN2708A (I think that's the chip), and it wasn't socketed. If you're in there on an older game and changing the chip out anyhow, throw a socket in there. You have to do the soldering anyhow, and makes it easier if it happens again...
Luke

Yup, I had a bad chip on a battery-leak damaged board. Definitely worth replacing it with a socket.

BTW - can anyone recommend a good cutter for those "close to the board" chips and such? I had one that was just OK...but it broke anyway. Would be nice to have the right tool handy for future repairs.

1 week later
#12 10 years ago

ULN2803A. These are easily found on Ebay or Pinball Life.

It's amazing the different ways that a flaky ULN2803A can manifest. (I had a bad ULN2803A appear like a ROW problem - go figure.)

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

BTW - can anyone recommend a good cutter for those "close to the board" chips and such? I had one that was just OK...but it broke anyway. Would be nice to have the right tool handy for future repairs.

Look for a cutter like this:
ebay.com link: Wiha 56818 Precision Electronic Diagonal Cutters Wide Pointed Head
There are also others to find, that are a bit cheaper, but this one is good.

- Ingo

#14 10 years ago

I have seen a lots of WPC89 games with sockets at U20. I am pretty sure this appeared in some games prior to WPC-S from the factory, but not all.

#15 10 years ago

eBay link doesn't work. Here's one from Hakko. You want the blades to be very narrow so they will fit between the pins on an IC.

http://www.amazon.com/Hakko-CHP170-Micro-Cutter-16AWG/dp/B0000WT6FI/ref=sr_1_3

10 years later
#16 6 months ago

Thank you for this post. It just save me a big headache.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 38.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 11.95
Wanted
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wilsonville, OR
$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Manteca, CA
€ 150.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
TheDudeMods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 47.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Machine - For Sale
Sandy Springs, GA
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tom-switch-matrix-column-6-dead-what-did-i-screw-up and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.