Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Ballyzone
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

Hello all...Sometimes when ball travels through centre ramp entrance switch a solenoid fires off and holds for a few seconds, this has been going on for 3-4 years but have never seen which solenoid it is, but sounds like its coming from one of the jets, I have changed a few micro switches on the ramp switches and looked around for any dodgy wires but nothing seen. Its now blowing fuse F104 which covers Slings/Jets/trap door/top gates left and right. I am baffled as this is switch causing a problem on solenoids so no good me looking at the matrix charts in the manual, also have recently taken the playfield apart for 10 year clean, nothing found dodgy with centre ramp switch wires, nothing shows in faults, and fault still the same, so can anyone suggest where to look for this problem please. Cheers John B

#2 6 years ago

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#Switch_Problems

What was your methodology and the results of your testing using the built in diagnostics?

You'll want to follow section 6.22.3 to "Isolate the problem to the MPU or to the game wiring/diodes/switches"

#3 6 years ago

Go into switch test and activate the problem switch. See, if for some reason, it is also triggering other switches in the switch matrix and go from there.

#4 6 years ago

Thanks for replies. Regards method, with the glass off I start a game and throw a ball up the centre ramp to simulate the fault, but this way it never has fired off the solenoid... so annoying. I have basic skills with electrics and not to sure reading diagrams, on the coin door when pressing enter button, it does not show any faults, so maybe there is not a fault and something is shorting across. When the fault does happen...that is the ball goes throo the ramp entrance switch...a jet solenoid fires and holds for about 5 seconds, sometimes it sounds like a something else is energised instead of the jet, again for 5 seconds. I dont think there is a pattern as it can happen on the 1st ball off the right flipper up the ramp or it can happen later in the game. I had a look at the 6.22.3 section and would say I am out my depth with.

Have tried the switch test and only the switch in test shows up on the matrix and not another with it. I have also tried all switches to make sure they open/close correctly and they do.

Cheers.

#5 6 years ago

Have you checked the jet solenoids to see if there is something grounding them when there is vibration? If you pound the playfield with your fist, does it cause the jet to fire? Since it's blowing a fuse, (I'm not an expert) it tells me that something is getting higher voltage when it shouldn't be and tells me that there is something making contact where it shouldn't (I know, not the most helpful). When this occurs, you will need to try to confirm which coil is energizing, that way we can better troubleshoot.

I'll also link this thread to the club thread to see if you can get more responses there.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/theatre-of-magic-club

#6 6 years ago

Check where the ramps fasten to hex posts, look for wires squished between ramp and post.

LTG : )

#7 6 years ago

Ok thanks, some good ideas there, will check tomorrow evening and let you know.

#8 6 years ago

Had a good look and played few games just now and found other stuff happening, here is the latest:- so during play when the ball goes throo either the centre or right ramp entrance switches on our TOM sometimes(sometimes means:-about every half dozen times), a solenoid fires off, it can be one of the following...a jet for 1-5 seconds/left or right flippers just blimp...dont travel right up/a sling shot may bang off/and I think an outlane magnet activates for 5 seconds, it happens so quick its difficult to know for sure. Also sometimes when the 3 rd ball locks onto the trunk magnet, trunk turns and sometimes holds onto the ball for a few seconds longer and do not get any sound effects until the 1st ball is popped out for multiball. Also when in test switch mode noticed that if pressing the sling rubber to check the 2 sling rubber switches sometimes can here a definite click from just under the playfield near the right drain magnet. Tried simulating with glass off to no avail. No faults come up on enter buttons, could it be an outside fault not recognised by the machine, wonder if its stray electricity getting across to earth somehow. All switches I can get at including the jet release switches have good adjustment, so not vibrations. Any ideas welcome thanks.

#9 6 years ago

How does your MPU look? Any corrosion damage? How about your connectors on all of your boards? Try re-seating all of them?

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from Ballyzone:

centre or right ramp entrance switches on our TOM sometimes a jet for 1-5 seconds, left or right flippers just blimp, a sling shot, an outlane magnet. Also sometimes when the 3 rd ball locks onto the trunk magnet, trunk turns and sometimes holds onto the ball for a few seconds longer and do not get any sound effects until the 1st ball is popped out for multiball. Also when in test switch mode noticed that if pressing the sling rubber to check the 2 sling rubber switches sometimes can here a definite click from just under the playfield near the right drain magnet.

Switch numbers: center entrance 75, right enter 76, jets 63, 64, 65, slings 61, 62, trunk positions 55, 56, 57, 58.
Nothing jumps out at me on the matrix. Your entrance ramp switches are in the same column, I might test other switches in the column for unexpected behavior too. I'd also disconnect the playfield and use jumpers to test the CPU to try and isolate the problem to either the CPU or the playfield.
Good luck.

#11 6 years ago

The original issue might be a phantom switch issue do to a bad diode or incorrect switch wiring.
I had this issue with JM but it only triggered when the Standup Target was up, then the Spinner was triggering other switches. The wiring was backwards on the standup.

Did you put in any new switches?

I think you need more than a single switch to be active to trigger this.
I would suggest going back into to switch test and testing the center ramp and right ramp switches with one other switch in the same row and column activated.
Start with all balls in the trough less one ball and then check the center and right ramp switch. Then with two balls out , then three , etc etc.
Then put one ball in the Trunk lock, and test. Then two.
Try holding each switch in the row and columns of the center and ramp ramps and then trigger the Center and Right Ramp switches. Under this scenario it is possible that you will see a third switch triggered.

#13 6 years ago

Thanks all for going out of your way to help, much appreciated, plenty to get on with..I may be some time..I'll check these tests over next couple of days and see what i can find. I did change some switches as I suspected diodes and wired them correctly, I changed entrance l & r, all round the ramps that was about 6 months ago, made no difference, the problems maybe getting gradually worse as tonight I played some games and adding to the list of strange behaviour...as the ball went for the left outlane and triggered the hocus pocus magnet, then the trunk pick up magnet energised and the trunk turned to open position even thought the ball was still down on the outlane magnet, tried it with glass off but didnt happen again, very random.

#14 6 years ago

Latest on TOM fault:- Checked batteries, ok, no corrosion only 2 years old, checked about 12 diodes around the ramp switches as per the link and no signs of malfunction with them, had a good look under and on the playfield for any dodgy wires...nothing found. Just played 20 odd games and not a solenoid has fired off, only thing that doesnt seem right are 2 things...when the trunk magnet picks up the 3rd ball for multiball it sometimes drops it at the back as normal but most times holds it for a couple seconds longer before releasing it, sound effects go quiet too until 1st ball pops out, and the other thing is if I stop and go to switch test, and press the slings in to get the switches to show up on the matrix, there is a slight movement of the sling solenoid for the left or the right whichever i am pressing, just the once, as if some electricity is stored some where and released through the slings. I cant do any more than that really as it is beyond my capabilities, I can close this and take the machine to have it fully tested, thanks for all your help guys. Cheers.

#15 6 years ago

For the trunk magnet, the balls may be magnetized and might hold on for a bit longer than normal.

#16 6 years ago

Thats a good thought, changed with new balls but still the same, and amazingly the solenoids are firing off again, Blime! think thats it for now. Thanks all.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 130.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

€ 150.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
TheDudeMods

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Wanted
8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wilsonville, OR
9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Manteca, CA
$ 38.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 11.95
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Sandy Springs, GA
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 47.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 29.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tom-solenoid-fault and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.